Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: November Xcursion tbd  (Read 21201 times)

boomer818

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • Dirty White Knight
Re: November Xcursion tbd
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 08:37:12 PM »
i have never been to  Anza Borrego... ???
If you dont have mud you have nothing.

FrankB

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 07:44:35 PM »
I think Frank may be planning pie fest in Anza for November.

For the last 4 years I've set up a trip either on the weekend before or immediately after Thanksgiving to Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon in Anza Borrego. It started out the first year as an informal thing (not the regular monthly "club run"), when a few of us had out-of-town family that we wanted to take to the desert. I think there were 6 or 7 trucks that year. The last couple years it's been more like 15 or more.

This is a very easy route, with care it can be done in 2WD, and certainly totally stock. It's more of a social event than anything else. I pick up a few fresh-baked (as in still warm out of the oven that morning) apple pies from the Julian Pie Company main bakery in Santa Ysabel, and we find a nice spot in the Canyon for a long lunch.  Some folks will camp, others will make it a day trip.

Right now I'm thinking about doing this on Sat 20 November, since I'm not available the weekend right after Thanksgiving.  I'll post more details as we get closer.  If you want to see what it is like, just look back through the Pictures forum.

One thing that may make this year a little different is that there was a large rock fall that blocked Sandstone Canyon on Easter Sunday. I have not seen it for myself yet, but I'm told it is about a mile or so in. If so, our traditional (nicely shaded) lunch spot may not be accessible. There are lots of other spots though, but that narrow canyon was really fun to drive through. Hard to say, but those days may be gone.  I'm hoping to get out there and look around in the next few weeks, just waiting for temps to cool down a bit more.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 09:47:48 PM »
I've built up a bunch of comp-time and will be taking some extended weekends over the next several months as the weather remains so nice. I want to head north a bit into the southern end of Sequoia as well as hit the northern end of Death Valley for a few days. I might hit Rattlesnake Canyon this weekend for a look as there are campsites in there that we've never bothered to stop at before. Bee Canyon is also a chance for me this weekend if I can get my normal Friday off - with the network now degraded for the second week in a row I may have work the weekend again. I put in 105.25 hours last pay period and I'm looking at another 90-100 hour one this period if things continue. It's just about impossible to get paid overtime so I get compensation days off ... and I've got a pile of vacation time too boot too.

If someone presents some trip ideas I'm willing to lead, follow, or get the heck out of the way! I figure early trips in November and December to avoid the family holiday periods.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

boomer818

• Dirty White Knight
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 11:18:46 PM »
I would like a north trip up by lone pine or bishop (Mt. Whitney)  but closer to LA would be nice to.  day trip to gorman or frazier do some off roading and target shooting.

boomer818

• Dirty White Knight
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 06:24:45 PM »
So i take it we will wait till the day gets closer before we decide on where to go?

FrankB

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »
So i take it we will wait till the day gets closer before we decide on where to go?

Well, there is still half of October left. Maybe someone can set something up for this month still. If you have a specific idea (like Gorman) you can post up some details and see if anyone wants to join in.

As for November, it sounds like Paul may have a longer-trip idea for early in the month, and as I mentioned earlier, I will probably set up the Fish Creek / Sandstone Canyon Anza Borrego trip for 20 Nov.  I think that if the details are posted too early they might get lost, or it gets confusing for some people.

GUANO

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 12:57:11 PM »
I've built up a bunch of comp-time and will be taking some extended weekends over the next several months as the weather remains so nice. I want to head north a bit into the southern end of Sequoia as well as hit the northern end of Death Valley for a few days. I might hit Rattlesnake Canyon this weekend for a look as there are campsites in there that we've never bothered to stop at before. Bee Canyon is also a chance for me this weekend if I can get my normal Friday off - with the network now degraded for the second week in a row I may have work the weekend again. I put in 105.25 hours last pay period and I'm looking at another 90-100 hour one this period if things continue. It's just about impossible to get paid overtime so I get compensation days off ... and I've got a pile of vacation time too boot too.

If someone presents some trip ideas I'm willing to lead, follow, or get the heck out of the way! I figure early trips in November and December to avoid the family holiday periods.

I've been wanting to do Rattlesnake Canyon for quite some time and haven't been able to make it due to tire problems.  I have some new tires and a spare, if you are doing rattlesnake this weekend I want in!

boomer818

• Dirty White Knight
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 01:01:50 PM »
Alright then Nov. 20th looks like it will be Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon in Anza Borrego, but if any one wants to go to Gorman let me know I live close to it (50 miles or so) a saturday or sundy would be fine after this weekend
(hunting @ frazier)...

boomer818

• Dirty White Knight
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 08:09:36 AM »
more than enough i have 2010 off road and before that a 2006 off road all stock and there realy has not been much places i could not go. i wiil let you know which weekend is ok, this week end im hunting in frazier and may be next weekend also. will inform you.

boomer818

• Dirty White Knight
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2010, 06:40:41 PM »
try this web site www.totalescape.com/active/campstuff/NF/hungry.html. i just typed Gorman Ca and it came up. check it out.

strikedistance

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel 4x4
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
I will be there the 20th for Anza. Great run. Lot of fun last time. Glad you didnt pick the 13/14 because im going to be in Lake Elsinore for Wagonwheel Festival. Looking forward to camping and pie :)

FrankB

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 09:37:36 PM »
I will be there the 20th for Anza. Great run. Lot of fun last time. Glad you didnt pick the 13/14 because im going to be in Lake Elsinore for Wagonwheel Festival. Looking forward to camping and pie :)

Hey Bruce, good to hear from you.  How are things going?

Kyle J. Thompson

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 08:29:21 AM »
Can we  split the runs into seperate threads...hard to follow  ??? :'(

Thanks

npgtech

• 4wd Pts: 25
    • 2010 Xterra / 2015 Frontier
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
Cool, I'm def gonna hit up one of these runs, both if I can swing it.

strikedistance

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 Diesel 4x4
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 04:47:40 PM »
Things are going well Frank. I am still at LMU. I sold my car and joined the Marine Corps in Aug. I go to boot camp next June. A lot has happened sense the last time i have seen anyone.
We will def catch up on the run. Are you planning on camping?