Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Winter Mojave Rd 2019  (Read 26614 times)

Sdansher

• 4wd Pts: 1
Re: Winter Mojave Rd 2019
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
Hey guys i am heading on the trail on the 21st from laughlin to barstow , could you guys let me know how passable is soda lake.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2019, 09:41:30 PM »
Hey guys i am heading on the trail on the 21st from laughlin to barstow , could you guys let me know how passable is soda lake.
DO NOT TAKE SODA LAKE  >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Sdansher

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2019, 10:07:40 PM »

I know the car will rott ;D ;D ;D.

But is the drybed passable?

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2019, 08:47:20 AM »
I know the car will rott ;D ;D ;D.

But is the drybed passable?
With all the rain we've had, it won't be dry. Don't do it, trust us. Even if you make it through, you'll have caustic mud everywhere.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Sdansher

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2019, 09:10:43 AM »
Thanks guys

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2019, 12:46:23 PM »
We are eating lunch at the Kelso Depot now.  We left camp at 9:30 and followed the train tracks all the way.  Water was deep.  Train company hydro- locked a truck trying to get through the river yesterday.  We should be in the New York mountains  by mid- afternoon.  Soda Lake wasn't even a consideration.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Sdansher

« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
Mile 0 , here we go...

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2019, 08:08:46 PM »
Had a great time, Bummed I had to drop out on Sunday and not push to Monday. It was a real ARSE kicker....LOL
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Sdansher

« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2019, 08:46:43 PM »
I am still on it we are camping near lava tubes , headed to baker in the morning and west to finish...

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2019, 11:32:51 PM »
Post Trip Report

Another successful winter Mojave in the books!  We began with spending the night in Afton Canyon preparing for the trip.  Due to the recent rains in the area, the water crossing was much higher than usual.  We found this out when a rail line worker drove his truck through the water crossing and hydro-locked the engine.  Luckily, someone came along and towed him out onto the side of the trail. 

Before we headed out on Saturday, we all agreed that we would continue down the rail line to Kelso Depot vs. going through Jackass Canyon.  Right before heading out, 2 motorcyclists took their dirt bikes through the crossing.  As we started our crossing, the 2 bikers were soaked up to their waists and dealing with their water logged dirt bikes.

We made short work of the rail line trail.  We we made it to the New York Mountain campsite by around 2pm.  Unfortunately, someone had taken our normal spot, so we camped down the trail a little, which in my opinion is a nicer spot due to having more room and more flat area.  We unpacked, set up camp, and prepared to relax.  We had a great fire and great conversations, then called it a night.

The 2nd day was all about relaxation. With nowhere to go and nothing to do, we all just moved slow and woke up late.  Unfortunately, Gunslinger was plagued with a sour stomach and decided to head out.  Later in the day, Fire Ninja, #2, and I took a quick trip further up the trail to get some offroading in.  Once back in camp, we finished the day by eating dinner and gathering around the fire once again. The clouds broke just in time, and we were all treated to the awesome lunar eclipse blood moon.  After we all decided to call it a night, the REAL fun kicked in.  The wind decided to pick up and wreak havoc on our camp.  I was ignorant and didn't tie down my tent at all.  I woke up to the sound of my stuff being thrown across the tent because 2 panels in my ShiftPod popped in.  I made the decision to go out and secure the tent, and heard the sound of Tony doing the same.  Later I would find out that Fire Ninja would have an even more interesting experience.  Where he set up his camp was even more exposed to the wind, and the gusts were so strong, it began to uproot his tent stakes.  As they were attempting to resecure their tent, their kitchen was blown over.  As they picked up their kitchen, their tent came completely loose and was airborne.  They had enough of the wind and packed up and made an early departure.

It was down to Tony and I.  We got up in the morning and packed up, as we were too sick of the wind.  We also found that it was colder in the morning than when we went to bed.  We shook hands, got in our trucks and headed out.  We parted ways on the trail, as Tony was heading to Laughlin, and I was heading south to the 66/40.  The drive home was very sketchy, with 40mph headwinds almost all the way home. 

Overall, a great trip.  Can't wait until next year!

Sdansher

« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2019, 07:16:50 AM »
Great report, i will try to link up for next excursion

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
Holy crap what a story!! Where the pictures?

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2019, 08:10:30 PM »
Some pictures....
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #103 on: January 25, 2019, 08:32:20 PM »
I'm glad everyone had a good time. I had to go to Idaho during the dates and I'm still not home. I really wanted to give a huge thanks out to Scuba Dale for stepping up and leading this trail in my absence. Its no small task leading a run especially one that's about 130 miles through the desert during the winter.
 Making sure everyone is taken care of deserves a lot of credit to all of our trail leaders!
Isaiah 6:8

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #104 on: January 25, 2019, 08:35:08 PM »
I'm glad everyone had a good time. I had to go to Idaho during the dates and I'm still not home. I really wanted to give a huge thanks out to Scuba Dale for stepping up and leading this trail in my absence. Its no small task leading a run especially one that's about 130 miles through the desert during the winter.
 Making sure everyone is taken care of deserves a lot of credit to all of our trail leaders!
I have some ideas for next year to simply the process.  We'll touch base when it's that time again.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk