Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CANVAZ VIII 2018 (Official Thread)  (Read 62087 times)

LBX

Re: CANVAZ VIII 2018 (Official Thread)
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2018, 11:10:07 AM »
Is it typically still hot AF at the beginning of October out there?

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #76 on: August 01, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »
Wife wants to know if you've decided where we'll be camping yet?

We are not 100% sure yet but have thought about just outside of Butterfield or out near Fish Creek Wash.

Is it typically still hot AF at the beginning of October out there?

It can be hot/warm by day but the nights should be cool enough. I'm sure there will be plenty of easy ups and tarps set up anyway.
Isaiah 6:8

Celt

« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2018, 10:34:57 PM »
My Dad said he's glad to lead a couple of runs. What he talked about is also leading Jayrats run (Canyon sin nombre and diablo drop off). We talked about doing that on a separate day for the guys who may miss out due to going on something like mine or another. It's probably the most popular so it might make sense to do it twice. If any of you have some ideas please give your input and I'll pass it along to him.

Celt

« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2018, 10:58:28 PM »
Trail run: Calcite Mine. Sunday, Oct 7th.

Vehicle limit: None.

Vehicle requirements: Highly suggested off road AT or MT tires. Recovery points front and rear suggested.

Comms: 2m desired but none required 146.535.

Suggestions: Bring food for lunch at Calcite Mine, extra in case of breakdown. Bring jackets, blankets and plenty of water for everyone in your vehicle i.e. 1 gallon per person per day. Temps in this area can vary widely from really cold and windy to hot by day to cold at night.

Trail description: This is a classic trip up to a mine where Calcite was mined during WWII which provided what was needed for the Norton bomb sight in the B-25's B-17's over Europe and the Pacific Theaters of war so it's a pretty historic place all things concerning. Getting up there is a steep run with loose rock and dirt. Conditions are constantly changing. Some off camber spots. If you are not comfortable with a steep dropoff to one side and steep hillside to another this might be a point to consider. It's certainly not a black run but moreso light gray-ish. There are no bypasses and it has a couple obstacles that are pretty easily passable. Up on the top there is some amazing views of the Salton Sea, Borrego and Ocotillo Wells. It's a relatively short trip but what I plan to do is get there via the Military Wash and stop at some of Patton's bombing and strafing ranges where the area is still littered with projectiles and a few targets of opportunity. On the way back we will hit the Tectonic Wash which gives a fun trip back towards Borrego Springs where if time allows we will stop at Font's Point. For anyone who has not seen this place it's not something to be missed. After that we can head into Borrego Springs and re-fuel and head back to camp.

Military Wash: (Couldn't find anything other than this annoying dirt bike as far as videos on Youtube)

Calcite Mine:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaG8UahKBA0 (Gives you an idea what the trip is like)

Fonts Point:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJOiwN5l9W4 (The great view from that place)

1: Celt
2:
3:
4:
5: UltraPC40 (In the middle of the pack)
6:
7:
8:
9:
10: Cat Herder: Scuba Dale
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 08:26:37 PM by Celt »

FrankB

« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2018, 12:17:49 AM »
. . .
Military Wash: Couldn't find anything other than this annoying dirt bike.
 . . .

Eric,

I think Military Wash has been cleaned up a lot since I first went out there in early 2009.  On that trip the ground was covered with brass cartridge casings and spent projectiles, but on the more recent trips it looked a lot cleaner.  Still worth going to and looking around.  There are still some target frames, rails, and some reinforced concrete stuff, and you could probably still find some spent projectiles. 

Here is a link to an old gallery of mine that has some pictures from Military Wash and close by areas, from a trip we did in February of 2009.

https://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Explorations-Day/Military-Wash-Feb-2009/

I don't have a picture, but we actually found a live .50 cal round.  Fully intact.

I can show you on a map some time where some good places to look for things are.

Celt

« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2018, 07:59:52 AM »
Eric,

I think Military Wash has been cleaned up a lot since I first went out there in early 2009.  On that trip the ground was covered with brass cartridge casings and spent projectiles, but on the more recent trips it looked a lot cleaner.  Still worth going to and looking around.  There are still some target frames, rails, and some reinforced concrete stuff, and you could probably still find some spent projectiles. 

Here is a link to an old gallery of mine that has some pictures from Military Wash and close by areas, from a trip we did in February of 2009.

https://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Explorations-Day/Military-Wash-Feb-2009/

I don't have a picture, but we actually found a live .50 cal round.  Fully intact.

I can show you on a map some time where some good places to look for things are.

Thanks for the write up Frank. Over the years it's always been fun to stop there and let the kids jump out and explore the area to see what they find then talk about what they found. The historical significance of that entire area just amazes me. That whole area was a couple of different seas over time, some freshwater some saltwater. Who knows what type of dinosaur roamed those lands and how many generations of native peoples inhabited it. In much more recent history all of the training that went on down there to prepare our troops for N. Africa during WWII should give even the most causal visitor time to pause in reflection at we have at our doorstep. I would be interested to see what you have on your map and compare it with what I know of the area.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
I have done calcite 3 times you can put me in the middle of the pack.

Celt

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2018, 10:31:18 AM »
I have done calcite 3 times you can put me in the middle of the pack.

Done buddy...

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2018, 11:57:16 AM »
Ok, well I will give this one a shot. If a spot is available... LOL.

I know a lot of you have done these trips several times, it would be good for the noobs if you threw out a fuel / water / gear recommendations. I would hate to be "That guy" who dint have enough fuel or water and really earn the "Noooobe" namesake. 
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Celt

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
Ok, well I will give this one a shot. If a spot is available... LOL.

I know a lot of you have done these trips several times, it would be good for the noobs if you threw out a fuel / water / gear recommendations. I would hate to be "That guy" who dint have enough fuel or water and really earn the "Noooobe" namesake. 

It's a three day event where we will be dry camping. No water is available on site so you may want to follow the 1 gallon per person per day rule of thumb and adjust accordingly to your needs. The closest fuel is about 30 miles away in Borrego Springs and Salton City which would be a longer distance if you stay off the roads and go through the desert. I would suggest having at least 5 gallons extra in your vehicle or at your camp. I'll probably bring more but my vehicles aren't exactly the fuel-efficient types. Most of the runs should probably incorporate a fuel stop at the end or you can simply get into Borrego Springs after peeling off from the group. Showers and the like are available at the Ocotillo Wells Ranger Station (What they cost I don't know). You can re-stock food/beer/ice and the like in Borrego. They have a small general store and several restaurants. Fuel prices vary greatly there but can sometimes be less that what we pay around here in the cities. Prepare for warm to near hot by day and cold at night. An awning or easy up isn't a bad idea. We will have a general dispersed camping area but plan to always have someone hanging back to watch over things during the day while everyone is out on trails. One of the locations we are thinking about has a composting toilet but the other does not. Some of the guys bring crap castles others just go out into the desert with a shovel. The local Laguna repeater Rx 147.1500 Tx 147.7500 + tone 107.2 covers the entire area very well so comms are really good. Each run will most likely have their own simplex channel set by the trail leader. I can't speak for CB as many aren't using them anymore. If you have more questions ask as Jayrat and I really want everyone to enjoy themselves and feel comfortable wheeling with this group, no strangers just new friends.

Gunslinger2N

• 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2018, 05:00:24 PM »
Celt,
  That was awesome, Thank you! Nailed it! Now I feel like I have a wealth of knowledge to work with, and its not so up in the air.

You guys are going to make me get my HAM license aint you.....  lol   
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2018, 05:42:10 PM »
Celt,
  That was awesome, Thank you! Nailed it! Now I feel like I have a wealth of knowledge to work with, and its not so up in the air.

Peer Pressure   >:D
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Syberia

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2005 Off Road
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
Crap castle lol that's a new one.  I'll have my crap castle and shower castle.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Celt

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2018, 05:48:37 PM »

Or you can just roam around the desert in radio silence just like when your driver didn't get the current comms upload.

Gunslinger2N

• 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2018, 05:16:53 PM »
Peer pressure!!!!!!! Ha ha ha.... There is more than one way to skin a cat. Don't ask me how i know.   lol lol lol
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC