Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Restoring our old off-road trailer  (Read 8439 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Restoring our old off-road trailer
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2017, 08:18:53 AM »
Looks great Tony...where did you source the new axle?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2017, 06:36:16 PM »

Not to jump in on Tony, but, I've had great luck getting stuff at a good price from etrailers.com.  Good pricing and quick shipping.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
I got everything but the axle tube at San Diego Trailer Supply on El Cajon boulevard just west of 70th Street in San Diego.  The spindles, brakes (10-inch electric), drums, brake controller, bearings, and new u-bolts/plates came to about $450.  I got the axle tube (2-inch square, 1.4" wall thickness, five feet long) at Industrial Metal Supply in Kearny Mesa for under $25.  After notching one of the spindles so it would slide into the tube, I welded it in place.  Then my son and I assembled one side and put it under the trailer.  After a little trial and error with the tire mounted, we figured out where to put the indexing holes of the spring pads.  We used the larger 285s for measurement so we can upgrade to that size once we wear out the 265s.  Then we completed the other side and mounted it all up.  Not bad for five hours of quality time with my son, including pizza and beer for lunch!
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 07:52:29 AM »
Thanks Tony & Tim...sources noted.

Tony...what vehicle is peeking around the corner with the ARB front bumper...looks like a LR, maybe a Disco?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 08:06:16 AM »
Thanks Tony & Tim...sources noted.

Tony...what vehicle is peeking around the corner with the ARB front bumper...looks like a LR, maybe a Disco?

That is my '95 Disco.  Motor needs rebuild, plus a load of other annoyances.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 07:06:34 AM »
More photos added on page 1.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 07:26:38 AM »
That's lookin really good. Are you going to do a battery bank/solar/water tank set up with it?
Isaiah 6:8

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »
It's a possibility.  Right now I'm using the plastic jerry cans for water and I have a Goal Zero battery/inverter that would be easy to just plug a panel into.