Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Cutting off Front Sway Bar  (Read 7551 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Cutting off Front Sway Bar
« on: October 29, 2016, 08:37:28 AM »
I'm to lazy to remove my skid plate to get to my front sway bar.

Is there any reason I can't take an angle grinder and cut my sway bar off at the closest point of the skid then undo bolt.

Basically leave the centre piece bolted on??

You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Cutting off Front Sway Bar
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 09:08:48 AM »

Is there any reason I can't take an angle grinder and cut my sway bar off at the closest point of the skid then undo bolt.

If you are talking about leaving a piece of bar still in the brackets, I would shy away from that. It may eventually work its way through and could lead to some unwanted issues. If you are going to remove the bar and leave the brackets, I don't see where it would be an issue.
Isaiah 6:8

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 11:13:43 AM »
the sway bar is normally pretty hard material so it may take a while to cut but it could be done.  I would suggest cutting one side and pulling the rest of the sway bar out the other side vs leaving the center in.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 02:36:09 PM »
Cutting seems like a lot of effort when it unbolts fairly easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
On the off chance that you might want to put it back at some point, it might be best to just take it off. 

Cutting it off is going to put a whole lot of sparks under there too; that front bar is pretty thick.

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 06:12:20 PM »
Just do what Jordan said.  And if after 10 minutes of cutting, it seems like a bad idea, then go to plan B 8)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2016, 09:16:08 PM »
Thanks Guys,
My Lazy A$$ will just do it properly  :o
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

beedee

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 12:26:08 PM »
Ii was able to undo all the bolts on mine and then rotate it around and work it through without removing the skid. Then reversed the process when I put it back on.

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 05:30:22 PM »
Ii was able to undo all the bolts on mine and then rotate it around and work it through without removing the skid. Then reversed the process when I put it back on.
I'll give that a shot first

Celt

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »

Put it back on? Blasphemous....

beedee

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 09:34:51 AM »
  Put it back on? Blasphemous....

I know I know, but I have a 15 month old daughter (and my X is my daily) and after trying it out for two days, I wasn't comfortable with the body roll. I left the rear one off though! :)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »

I did the same thing. Unbolted the end links and brackets, and turned and manipulated it enough to pull it out without having to take the skid plate off. But the Calmini bumper and skid plate stick out much further in the front than the Hefty one, which gave me a lot more room to work than you may have.

Even if you can't do it this way, I would think taking the skid plate off and putting it back on is an easier/less time consuming effort than cutting through two sides of it. Just my thoughts.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 06:27:45 AM »
I know I know, but I have a 15 month old daughter (and my X is my daily) and after trying it out for two days, I wasn't comfortable with the body roll. I left the rear one off though! :)

I hear you...I removed my FSB when I TS'ed my X...and even with all the additional articulation it provided, and with the 650 lb 2.5" extended travel Radflo's, driving the 15/78 cloverleaf as well as the twisties of Highway 76, it was an "active" driving experience.

Took a lot of getting used to and was glad I never really had to make a serious evasive steering maneuver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2016, 07:48:07 AM »

I completely understand and was just giving you a little light hearted ribbing. If you are doing most of your driving on the asphalt and haven't done a bunch of ridikillis mods leaving that sway bar on might be the best option for you. Just as Ghost said, it can make for a unique driving experience depending upon your setup.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2016, 09:56:13 AM »

funny you post this as I've been getting a pretty noticeable rattle coming from my disconnected, but just sitting there front sway bar

from what I've read it seems like it's easy enough to just remove tho....?!?!