Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Roof rack Rivnut/Nutsert replacement  (Read 5630 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Roof rack Rivnut/Nutsert replacement
« on: May 01, 2015, 03:25:12 PM »
I've had my roof rack off a few times and was lucky to not have many problems with the free-spinning rivnuts that are widely reported. That being said, I did have ONE that broke free the first time, which I was able to reach with a pair of vice grips without dropping the full head liner. Ironically, I also had one that attaches the wetbox to the roof rack spin on me.

I removed the rack to tighten up my home-brew insert a few months back and I am 99% sure I crossthreaded at least a few of the bolts on their way back in. The blue locktite was bound to do that eventually, since I have removed the bolts so many times.

So, with my new roof rack on the way, I am contemplating replacing as many of the rivnuts as I can before installing the new rack. I understand there are at least a couple that can't be reached easily from inside.

I was wondering if anyone has done this and can give me any pointers. I read the "how to" on TNX which isn't very pic heavy and left me with some questions still. I plan on doing this in the next week or two, as soon as I get some new rivnuts ordered. My understanding is that I just pull the old ones out (trying not to enlarge the holes in the process), put the new one in the hole and use a wrench to hold it down while I drive a bolt into it to mushroom it out inside the cabin? Anything more to it than that?

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:16:29 PM »
We can drop the headliner and tack weld new ones in.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Roof rack Rivnut/Nutsert replacement
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:26:11 PM »
I planned on dropping the headliner. I'm also not too concerned about new ones holding well, if I crank them down good. But tack welding them is also a nice idea, if you don't think it'll mess up the paint on the roof too badly.

My bigger concern is pulling the old ones out. Is there any easy way to do this without mushrooming the holes? I suppose I could just put M8 ones in there after the holes are enlarged, but I'd rather stick with the M6 since the new rack will come with all new M6 mounting hardware.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 09:26:18 PM »
I have a few that just spin , and when it rains hard I get an inside drip
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 04:24:51 AM »
What Toro said.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »
Any tips for pulling the old ones out Ghost.... er...... Taquito?