Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Opinion on aftermarket lower control arms  (Read 3307 times)

4x4forfun

• 4wd Pts: 6
Opinion on aftermarket lower control arms
« on: March 07, 2017, 05:54:58 PM »
Hello SCCX members.
 I need to replace the lower ball joints on my 2002 4x4 Xterra. I figure it would be easier and cheaper to replace the whole arm with a Detroit Axle aftermarket kit from Ebay. For $106  I can get 2 new lower arms with ball joints and new bushings installed and 4 new tie rod ends. Since I know the bushings on the lower arms are worn out as well I figured it would be much easier to go with a complete swap than to try and replace just the bushings and ball joints on the original arms. Nissan wants $424 Just for one arm assembly.
 My question, has anyone have a good or bad experience with the aftermarket lower control arm assemblies from Detroit Axle or any other aftermarket manufacture? I just need to get a couple more years out of this truck and don't want to put a mortgage payment into it.

Thanks,
  David
But he said it was stock friendly!!

joser26

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2002 Xterra
Re: Opinion on aftermarket lower control arms
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »
I have the same issue right now. I want to raise mine so don't know if I need a different control arm. I figured I might as well replace the lower and upper just want to make sure I dont need a different one if I raise it.

beedee

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 10:14:00 AM »
Does Moog make them for the first gens? I have Moog OEM UCA replacements on my 2011 Pro-4x and they have been great thus far. The boots on my OEM ball joints tore after I installed my short lived 2" spacer lift.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:11:11 PM by beedee »

4x4forfun

• 4wd Pts: 6
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 12:55:57 AM »
Moog does make them and they are affordable. Think it will not only be easier but better to replace the entire arm with new front bushing, ball joint and T-bar anchor. $159 per side.

Joser26, If you raise it you want to get a lift kit that has a new upper control arm that will correct the upper ball joint angle so it can be aligned properly. I have the Calmini kit on mine and I have had no issues with it. Other people may say differently. The kit you need depends on how rough you want to get so look around and ask lots of questions. Better to get it right the first time than to go thru all the headaches and expense a second time.
But he said it was stock friendly!!