Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 06/22-24/12 Outdoor Adventures USA Summer Fest, ARRL Field Day, License Testing  (Read 5944 times)

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
OAUSA will hold their annual Summer Fest and Field Day event on June 22-24, 2012.  This will be a three day camping  trip in our local mountains in an area where several trail runs are available.   On Sunday, we will offer testing for all licensing levels of Amateur Radio.

On Saturday and Sunday we will have several stations participating in the official ARRL Field Day, the single most popular Amateur Radio on-air event in the US and Canada.  It
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

SteeevO

• 4wd Pts: 23
I've helped get Field Day together for the last few years with OAUSA and it's a great event with great people. Don't forget to register so you can camp with us and eat their cook'n... they are good cooks over there  ;D
I'll be there again this year.

We'll probably be camping in Frazier park where there will be wheeling and optimal radio operating conditions.

If you're a ham and you've never done a field day... you're missing out!

see you there!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
I work allow it, I would be interested in attending this.  I have been into amateur radio for a while, and never officially attended a field day operation.

This might just be the inspiration I need to get serious about upgrading from Tech to General.  :)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

usko99

• 4wd Pts: 4
Nice!! I'll try to be there...

For the ham radio stuff, can I buy one first and test/use it prior to getting my license? I'm a hands on type of guy so just by studying from the book I won't quite get it LOL...

also, what ham radio do you guys recommend?  AND where to get a good deal??  (I have a feeling that SteevO knows )..

cheers!

see ya'll soon!

SuperSlideStyle

What I don't know yet is whether this event is strictly mobile ham-only or cb radios allowed.  I need to buy both badly cause FRS is limiting to me.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
For the ham radio stuff, can I buy one first and test/use it prior to getting my license? I'm a hands on type of guy so just by studying from the book I won't quite get it LOL...

Unfortunately, no...not legally.  Suffice to say that your range, quality of signal, and quality of equipment all improve when you pass the very simple 35 question test (and passing is 70%).  Studying takes about 3 weeks of 15 minutes a day work, and there are sample exams on the internet as well to help.  Go to www.qrz.com for more information on the testing and study questions.

also, what ham radio do you guys recommend?  AND where to get a good deal??  (I have a feeling that SteevO knows )...

There are several brands and "bands" as you will come to find once you pass your test.  ;D

The quality brands are Kenwood, Yeasu, Icom, and Alinco.  All of those companies make great radios, with more features than you can shake a stick at.  As far as band preference (this is the range of frequencies you will be transmitting and receiving on, and each radio can be programmed differently based upon your desire and license privileges) most Technician class hams choose 2 meter first.  This is the closest to traditional 2 way communication and the closest in similarity to CB units and antennas.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:42:18 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
I'm a hands on type of guy so just by studying from the book I won't quite get it LOL...

I would be more than happy to show you my mobile ham radio/antenna set up Steve, and I have a handheld dual band that I could show you and let you transmit some "third party traffic" (non-ham transmission with a ham present) and get a feel for what it is like to use a ham radio. Hopefully the "hands on" approach you are looking for.

But this is actually what the field days are all about, so just attending one of those would get you "hooked" pretty quickly as well.  Without fault, 99% of all hams love to share their passion for the hobby, and WANT to get people involved and excited about getting their licenses.

Also, SCCX features several guys who are ham operators, and you should look them up and ask any questions about ham radio as well.

Paul, PaulXYZ - KG6OAZ
Steve, Steeevo - KF6WVM
Marc, Arch'sX - KJ6VNB
BlackX, Jeff
Goldfish, Don
Panathrasher, Chris - KJ6SRM
Kyle J. Thompson, Kyle - KJ6KJC
Randy, RANDALF1 - KJ6SAT
Jim, fuelnjktr - KG6QWM

Just to name a few here on SCCX.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:25:09 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
What I don't know yet is whether this event is strictly mobile ham-only or cb radios allowed.  I need to buy both badly cause FRS is limiting to me.

Field days are traditionally all ham radios Irwin.

Bringing a CB there would be...well...like bringing a knife to a gunfight.  ;D
KD6DCI

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
I can't make the Ham week-end but I'm interested in "moving up" my comm. skills.  I hope to pick your brains at Gold Moutain on the 16th.  I've got the same questions as Steve (USKO).  Thanks guys for all your help.  What a great group!
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
I can't make the Ham week-end but I'm interested in "moving up" my comm. skills.  I hope to pick your brains at Gold Moutain on the 16th.  I've got the same questions as Steve (USKO).  Thanks guys for all your help.  What a great group!

Nooo problem Randy...we can for sure chat on the trail.  Going to make Gold Mountain the Father's Day retreat for Alex and I.  Will Nilda attend?
KD6DCI

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Yeah John, Nilda's in for sure!  When she saw the 'who's who' list of cool guys on this trip, she said "Let's roll, and tell those guys to bring their girls (or borrow one, I think you can find them on Craigslist :P)."  We're really looking forward to seeing everyone again ;D
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

SuperSlideStyle

Awwwww darn!  I posted this and it seems that its too advanced for me.  Maybe I can go the 1st day only and see some of the setups in person.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD