Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Power Bastards (250a Alternator)  (Read 3237 times)

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
Power Bastards (250a Alternator)
« on: May 12, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »
On my way back from my folks house in Ventura for Mother's Day, my battery light came on.
I was a little confused since I knew my battery was fine. 
After speaking with Jordan, we determined that it was my alternator dying.
It still puts out enough juice to run the car, but not enough to charge the battery.

When I got home and after I put the battery on a trickle charger, I started researching replacement alternators.
The first thought was to get an alternator from Autozone.
The one you would want to get from them is $271 plus a $40 core and it would need to be shipped.  Plus, only 130A output
Autozone alternator - Duralast Gold

Jordan showed me a unit from a company called Power Bastards out of Florida.  Veteran owned, made in America products.
Monday I called them up and spoke with Mike. 
We had a great conversation and I ended up purchasing an alternator and wiring kit from them.

250A High Output Alternator for Nissan Xterra, 2011 - 2015 4.0L V6

0 Gauge Alternator Wiring Upgrade

During our conversation, I mentioned that I was part of an xterra and frontier group and asked if he'd be interested in doing some sort of group buy.
He said they hadn't done one before, but was open to the idea.
We agreed that he would provide me 10 coupon codes for 10% off alternators and wiring kits.

So, if you're interested in upgrading your stock alternator, this might be a good opportunity.

They are based in FL, but have a distribution warehouse in Northridge CA.
My order was shipped yesterday and will arrive today.

I plan on installing the new alternator and wiring kit this weekend and will report back about the process. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

AdventureRider81

• 4wd Pts: 4
    • 2011 Nissan Xterra P4X / 2015 BMW R1200GS
Re: Power Bastards (250a Alternator)
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:28:32 AM »
Bad ass! I'm considering it >:D
11' P4X / 15' GS  StormTrooper Editions

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »
Damn.... 125 amps at idle, and 250 amps at just 1200 RMP. That's pretty impressive!

Do you have any idea why it's only listed for the 2011-2015 models? It looks like they have a different model listed for 2005 - 2007, and nothing listed for 2008 through 2010. As far as I know, alternators should be interchangeable between all years from 2005 through 2015. I know at some point, Nissan started using a higher output one (I think it was in 2009), but I think you can only buy the higher output now if you go to replace them in an older rig.

I'm also curious if it adjusts the output voltage like the OEM setup (with a hi and lo setting, based on the load on your electrical system), or if works more like a traditional alternator. It says it uses all of the factory hookups, which includes a lead wire for that mode in the alternator. I know the DC Power alternators don't use that lead. Let us know once you get it all hooked up!

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 01:06:33 PM »

Joe,
I think all the years are the same.  The alt seems to be a Nissan lego piece used in all trucks and frame based suvs since the mid 2000s.
This alternator is controlled by the pcm (I think that's what it's called) and does the "smart" alternator thing.  I asked Mike about that.  It was his opinion that modern cars and their electrical systems were not designed for 14.8v all the time.  I'm not an electrical enginerd, so I have no idea.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:16:48 PM by steve c »
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
My only suggestion when upgrading to a higher amperage alternator, ensure you upgrade power cables (alternator to battery) and most importantly, your grounds. I cant stress enough how ground is important in modern day automotive electronics.