Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: A water concept......  (Read 2719 times)

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
A water concept......
« on: August 25, 2018, 07:58:24 PM »
All,
  I was sitting here thinking about water storage and started to think about the "trunk" in the cargo area. As I went down the rabbit hole I was thinking about having a RV type water tank special manufactured to fit the void. Perhaps even with a 12v pump.

Anyone ever go down this road or know of anyone who did?
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: A water concept......
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »
All,
  I was sitting here thinking about water storage and started to think about the "trunk" in the cargo area. As I went down the rabbit hole I was thinking about having a RV type water tank special manufactured to fit the void. Perhaps even with a 12v pump.

Anyone ever go down this road or know of anyone who did?

A lot of guys use the 12v pump with an auxiliary tank but I don't think you will find many with this group. I think a couple of reasons may be the load out gets changed depending upon the type of trail and amount of people going. The other is while you can use compressed water cold is still cold and nobody really wants to take a cold shower. If you wish to make the water hot you either have to have it in a solar tube with good sun or be able to heat it in your stove. I have seen these hookups on front and rear bumpers and all over the interior compartment. In the end a large jug using gravity fed water to cover the camp needs might prove most useful with minimum systems that are redundant.
Isaiah 6:8

Gunslinger2N

• 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »
Thanks Celt,
  I am going to have to get the volumetric calculator out to get e really good idea of the volume of the "Secret hidden compartment of death" in the cargo area. I know mine is collecting items, that will be heard from no more. I had also considered the fact that it would stay pretty cool back there and use a galley style pump set up to get it out. I also also thought about the solar tube thingy on the roof rack for warm water (if memory serves its about 1/2 gal per foot of 4 inch pipe). I could do a u shape (x2 90 deg and 2 strait runs) around my aux fuel can, kind of keeping it all in one small foot print. 
  I was just wondering if you (Or anyone here) knew of anyone who used that location for a bladder or tank?
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Gunslinger2N

• 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 08:44:03 AM »
Correction.....

I could do a u shape (x2 90 deg and 3 strait runs) ...... Duh.... Not awake yet really. lol
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Celt

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:56:56 AM »
I have seen someone with a 4" PVC pipe that ran along his basket roof rack on a Frontier. When he charged it from the on board air it had enough pressure to shoot water a good 30' or so from a garden hose nozzle. It was a super simple setup and I never heard him say any negatives about it. He did say that black PVC got the water very hot for showers or dishes. He said he would use the remaining water at the end of a trip to rinse off his truck. I do not remember exactly how many gallons it held but seemed adequate. I don't know if he still has it or not since he's not been on the board much but Toro has a I believe 13 gallon tank that sits perfectly behind the rear seat. It's gravity fed. As I remember they were happy with it as he has three kids so they go through a fair amount of water. 

Gunslinger2N

• 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 09:52:51 AM »
Celt,
   I did see Toro's set up. I thought it was very interesting, but i would not be able to sleep in the cargo area. So I did do the calc of the oblesk (I feel like my numbers are off, will have to go measure it again to be accurate) and it turns out to be just under 15 gals (14.97 gals) I would drop maybe another gal for an offset area for fill / drain and vent connections. With almost 14 gallons of cool water...... Thats a win for me in my mind!
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

Celt

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 11:05:12 AM »
Celt,
   I did see Toro's set up. I thought it was very interesting, but i would not be able to sleep in the cargo area. So I did do the calc of the oblesk (I feel like my numbers are off, will have to go measure it again to be accurate) and it turns out to be just under 15 gals (14.97 gals) I would drop maybe another gal for an offset area for fill / drain and vent connections. With almost 14 gallons of cool water...... Thats a win for me in my mind!

It sounds like you are on your way. I was doing some calculations and you are adding roughly 116 lbs in water weight alone up there. It might not be such an issue for you but I'm always concerned about how much weight is being put up on the top but I like to do a lot of rock crawling so I run into some crazy angles. I really wish I could do something similar to what you are thinking but I just don't think it would be right for me. Please post pics of your build if you do it and what you think of it I really like seeing what other guys are doing.

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
I really like this idea. I'm always thinking about weight, space, and safety when I add to or pack the X. This checks all the boxes by using a mostly unused space. A bladder which is the lightest storage and the water itself which should be #1 on everyones safety packing list. If this works out for you, I might steal this idea.
I don't need hot water or shower water (some may disagree ;)) Just water. I was thinking rear tire carrier and a water tank where the spare used to be but this I like more.
G.B.H.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 06:02:49 PM »
My dream on board water setup has been planned in my mind for years, but I haven't pulled the trigger to make it happen. Basically, move the spare tire out to a tire carrier swing-arm bumper. Install a large ABS food-grade tank (13 gallons or so) up underneath where the tire was, and design a thick metal skid plate to protect it. Then I'd run a 12V pump (Shurflo or similar) to draw water from the tank, with a "Y" fitting after the pump to split into two separate runs. One would become the "hot" line after it runs through a plate style heat exchanger connected to a coolant line from the heater core. The other would remain as the "cold" line, and the two would meet back up at a thermostatic mixing valve that combines the two into a single shower-style nozzle. The thermostatic valve allows you choose how much of the hot and cold water you receive out of the nozzle at the same time, so you can control it for things like washing dishes or taking a shower or spraying off your boots.

The big hangup is that I am not the hugest fan of having a tire carrier. I had one previously and I sold it because it was not an ideal setup for me. I get into my hatch area A LOT for my side job, and often times in weird locations that don't always allow me to fully open a swing arm. There was more than one occasion that I had to climb over the rear seats to get my gear out of the cargo area.

Gunslinger2N

• 2014 Pro-4X
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 08:45:50 PM »
And there it is........ I found someone who did it. I was searching the Second Gen site and found it. I left him a message and asked him to get back to me. The thread itself is kind lacking but the concept is there...

https://www.thenewx.org/forum/30-xterra-projects/269682-onboard-water-tank.html

JFANSSELLE
   Wonder if we could reengineer the wheel (Actually the hatch) and place the wheel on the hatch like that J**p word that will not be mentioned. Super heavy duty hatch struts and a lock (to lock the hatch open)... That would open up that spare tire spot for your tank of infinate possibilities.....
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC