Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - 3/18 and 3/19 (advice needed)  (Read 5123 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Anza Borrego - 3/18 and 3/19 (advice needed)
« on: March 08, 2017, 03:51:46 PM »
I've never spent any time out in Anza Borrego and I figured with the super bloom of flowers that's expected over the next couple of weeks, it's time I give it a shot. The wife, the boy and I are planning a little jaunt out there on Saturday the 18th, with a short overnight camping stay and a trip home in the late morning on Sunday. Just so I knew what to expect, I took a trip out to the visitor's center last Friday from my home - the route takes me along Highway 79 into Warner Springs before cutting off onto San Felipe Road then to Montezuma Valley Road, through Ranchita and down into Borrego Springs. It was a beautiful drive (everything is so green right now!) and I know the fam will love it.

But, once we get there, I don't really know what to do. I tried to talk with some of the volunteers at the visitor center, but the place was PACKED (even at noon on a Friday) and everyone was asking about flowers. They pretty much had the "well there aren't many flowers yet, but we're expecting a ton over the next few weeks" answer down to a script. I finally got some time with a gentlemen who "wasn't much into off-roading" per his own admission, and tried to tell me where the great hikes were. I stressed to him that I would have a 4 year old boy with me, and anything more than a nature loop was probably too excessive for him, but he still pointed me to the best 4 and 5 mile slot-canyon hikes that the Calcite Mine area has to offer.

So, I'm sort of stuck here. I know that everyone in the park is really uptight about being off of established roadways. But back country camping is still permitted. If I'm camping at my vehicle (using my awning and attached room), does that mean I'm pretty much limited to the side of a road somewhere? Or are there open washes and what not that I can pull into and camp, where I'm off the road but still not "cross country traveling," by the park's definition? On a side note - I'm also familiar with the park's fire restrictions, and have a plan in place already.

We're planning to get on the road early Saturday morning and be in the Borrego Springs area by about 8:00 am. We'll probably spend a little time checking out the town, the visitor's center and the art sculptures all over the place. From there, my agenda is a question mark. I was originally thinking I'd head out toward the Borrego Badlands - maybe up Calcite Mine Road and check that out. But after watching a few videos on YouTube, I have a couple of concerns. The first is that the trail might be a bit too hard for me to tackle by myself with the wife and boy with me, and the second is that it could be relatively crowded out there on a Saturday in March when everyone is coming to town to see wildflowers. According to the $2 map I purchased at the visitor's center, there appears to be plenty of other dirt roads in the area south of S22 that are probably fun to explore, but what does everyone else think? And if I can't camp somewhere in the open back there, then I need to consider ending my route(s) near a primative campground and cross my fingers that there's room to set up when I stroll in at 4:00 or 5:00 pm on a Saturday in spring time. Does it make sense to continue further east into the OHV area and camp there? That's also an area I've never been and have no familiarity with locations.

I've ordered the Tom Harrison map of the area and plan to study it extensively when it arrives in 2 days (thank you Amazon Prime), but I'm open to anyone's suggestions in the interim. We're looking for a day worth of fun stuff to see and explore. We'd like to be off the beaten path, but aren't looking for red or black diamond trails with the whole family involved. There has to be somewhere we can set up and primitive camp for the night, and my plan was to exit on Sunday via the Salton Sea back up into the Coachella Valley and come back into the Inland Empire on the 10 (although I'm up for alternative routes home, if anyone wants to give me a better place to spend my time instead of the area I'm thinking).

Suggestions anyone?

I'd also like to open the invite up for anyone who wants to tag along. Especially if you're familiar with the AB area ;) It'll be a family friendly, very laid back trip. The only requirement is that you bring whatever you need to sustain yourself for a day of exploring and a night of camping. That, and no drama. :)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Anza Borrego - 3/18 and 3/19 (advice needed)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
Joe, you have a ton of good questions there in that post. It would take me a couple of hours in typing to answer many of them for you. An easier idea might be to just call me. I have been going into that area since I was a kid so it's sort of my back yard. I don't know where everything is down there but I sure do have some good info on trails and camping spots.

O0
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 07:19:21 PM »
Sounds great Celt! Can I call you a bit later this evening after I get the boy to bed? Should be between 8:30 and 9:00 pm. If that's too late for you oldtimer, we can talk tomorrow. 8)

Celt

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 08:37:04 PM »
Sounds great Celt! Can I call you a bit later this evening after I get the boy to bed? Should be between 8:30 and 9:00 pm. If that's too late for you oldtimer, we can talk tomorrow. 8)

Sorry, just saw this, my backside is on the way to bed as 0400 comes quick. Give me a call anytime tomorrow that works for you.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 08:31:58 AM »
Joe, I sent you a PM.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
1.  Font's Point - killer views

2.  Carlee's in Borrego Springs - killer food and cold *social sparklers*

3.  Fish Creek/Sandstone Canyon - killer canyon 4 wheeling, easily handled with your rig and well traveled

4.  The corner gas station in Borrego Springs - find the blue hose out back, and you've located free air for your tires

5.  Kendall's restaurant - killer breakfast, and easy parking at The Mall

I'm sure Erik and Frank tipped you to a few of these...but thought I'd be a total post whore and throw you some AB love spots to check out... ;)

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 05:33:29 PM »
1.  Font's Point - killer views

2.  Carlee's in Borrego Springs - killer food and cold *social sparklers*

3.  Fish Creek/Sandstone Canyon - killer canyon 4 wheeling, easily handled with your rig and well traveled

4.  The corner gas station in Borrego Springs - find the blue hose out back, and you've located free air for your tires

5.  Kendall's restaurant - killer breakfast, and easy parking at The Mall

I'm sure Erik and Frank tipped you to a few of these...but thought I'd be a total post whore and throw you some AB love spots to check out... ;)

All very good suggestions....

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 10:14:24 PM »
Thanks Ghost! I got some great advice from Erick as well, and will be chatting with Frank shortly for some more suggestions. :)

AGSchu119

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2008 Xterra
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 08:37:47 PM »
Hello Joe and all,

I am actually also planning a trip that direction next weekend and have similar plans for whatever is least crowded and not too challenging. My fiance is on the lookout for flowers so we are planning on finding spots for those. From my research, I am looking at a few options:

Coyote Canyon
Fonts Point
Pumpkin Patch?
Sandstone Canyon

I realize some of these are further south than you may be headed, but I have never been down to the area so my experience is 0. My X is stock sans new rear 5100s so that may limit my excursion somewhat.

Thanks and maybe we will run into you down there!

FrankB

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 11:17:33 PM »
Hello Joe and all,

I am actually also planning a trip that direction next weekend and have similar plans for whatever is least crowded and not too challenging. My fiance is on the lookout for flowers so we are planning on finding spots for those. From my research, I am looking at a few options:

Coyote Canyon
Fonts Point
Pumpkin Patch?
Sandstone Canyon

I realize some of these are further south than you may be headed, but I have never been down to the area so my experience is 0. My X is stock sans new rear 5100s so that may limit my excursion somewhat.

Thanks and maybe we will run into you down there!

Coyote Canyon will likely be jammed.  And, it will likely be jammed with vehicles that are unsuitable and people driving them who are scared to death they are going to scratch something up. I makes for some really amusing encounters when you come face to face with one. When first time visitors go to the Visitor Center they generally direct them towards Henderson Canyon Road and Lower Coyote Canyon.

Fonts Wash may be nice, but it too will likely be crowded.

You might check with rangers and see what sort of condition Inspiration Wash is in.  You start out on S-22 up near where Fonts Wash starts, but it drops down to the sand dunes reserve by the dump.  There may be a bunch of sand verbena in the dunes.  The last time I was there was a couple of years ago though, and the sand was really soft and deep in places.  The upper part of Inspiration is nice, and the drop down from the high point is a fun drive, but I did spot a large rockfall last time, but there was a bypass in place. 

Fish Creek Canyon (which is how you get to Sandstone Canyon) should be nice.  I'm not sure how much of Sandstone is drivable any more after the last round of rockfalls.  You used to be able to 2.5 miles in from the start at Fish Creek (which is 12.5 miles from the end of Split Mountain Road).  I think that has changed however.  Either way though, Fish Creek is always nice.

The Buttes Pass Road area is easy driving and often lots of flowers.  We found lots of desert five-spots in Hawk Canyon last time, along with those scary caterpillar things.

Pumpkin Patch is fun, but I would not expect to see any flowers out there.

Edit to add:  Mine Wash, off of CA-78, had a bunch of flowers last time I was there.  Also, the Cactus Garden off of Old Kane Springs Road may have some serious color too.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 11:21:29 PM by FrankB »

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
A friend just came back from camping Arroyo Salado...the traffic and crowds in town were overwhelming yesterday.

Galleta Meadows had traffic and crowds as well. Also heard CNN was broadcasting live...so the secret is out.

Maybe escape to Blair Valley is the best non crowd route to pursue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 04:38:56 PM »
A friend just came back from camping Arroyo Salado...the traffic and crowds in town were overwhelming yesterday.

Galleta Meadows had traffic and crowds as well. Also heard CNN was broadcasting live...so the secret is out.

Maybe escape to Blair Valley is the best non crowd route to pursue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catastrophe News Network broadcasting there, oh man. That's going to be about as bad as when Surfer magazine said Cardiff/Encinitas was the best place to live and surf. The next year was a mess paddling out with 53,000 of your closest friends and 12,345 of their cousins.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
Just got a horror story from a coworker as well about her and her husband riding their motorcycle out to Borrego Springs over the weekend. They sat in traffic for over an hour coming down into town on Montezuma Valley Road and had to break some laws to keep their bike from breaking down. When they got into town, they said it was so overwhelmingly crowded that they couldn't get around, even on the motorcycle. They skipped town and said that the sheriff's department was not letting anyone head down the mountain anymore, and directly them further south on Highway 79 instead. Hearing that the national news made a spectacle out of it just means it'll be even worse next weekend. :(

Shoot.... maybe I should just pull an audible, skip the flowers and head up to Mojave Preserve instead. I was REALLY looking forward to spending some time out in AB, but I'm not looking forward to thrusting myself into the middle of a circus of flower groupies.

Just driving on I-15 through Lake Elsinore this weekend was a disaster. There are several hillsides covered in poppies through the "Walker Canyon" area, which is the route that I-15 takes between Elsinore and the Temescal Valley. ABC News did a story about it last week, and it resulted in thousands and thousands of people flocking to the area this weekend. There is one small side road that parallels the freeway off of the Lake Street exit, but there are literally no business or anything around there. That side road has probably had 5 cars on it all year, and all of a sudden it became the parking lot for over a thousand cars who were bombarding the area to see the flowers. The hillsides looked like they were covered with ants, and everyone was out in the middle of it all, trampling the flowers and taking photos. The area where the flowers grow is technically preserved by the Riverside County Open Space and Multi-species Preserve system, but there are practically no resources to patrol or enforce rules in these areas. I went through there on Saturday on the way to a wedding, and traffic was backed up for about 10 miles until we got past the flowers (about 15 mph). I drove back by again on Sunday on the way to a hockey game, and it was even worse! People were out there in costumes, even setting up huge wooden props in the middle of the fields to take photos with. The side road had filled up with people double (and even triple) parking themselves, and people were even parking on the off-ramp and on the shoulder of the freeway. The CHP was coming through and trying to clear people off the Interstate but there was no where for them to go. It was an absolute joke.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 10:30:11 AM by JFanaselle »

CVXTERRA

• 4wd Pts: 18
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 10:42:20 AM »
This sounds like a complete circus. Don't imagine you would get much enjoyment from this trip at all. An audible may be the best call...