Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Solar Gremlins  (Read 3107 times)

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
Solar Gremlins
« on: August 09, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »
My wife doesn't drive her Versa very much so I decided to plug a trickle charge solar panel into the cigarette lighter. Every time I do the radio turns on. No sun, no radio. Sun, radio. Plug it in at night it's fine. In the morning when the sun hits the panel the radio turns on. Anyone have thoughts on this?
G.B.H.

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
Re: Solar Gremlins
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 07:02:19 AM »
It appears that the plug and the radio are on the same power circuit.  Which probably means that the battery is not being charged.  You will need to make sure the cigarette lighter plug is a direct connect to the battery in order to charge the battery.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:38:55 PM by Sage Bromax »
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:20:05 AM »
Thanks. Small car. Only one lighter that I know of. I guess I'll have to dig through my junk and find the battery clips that came with the panel. Thanks again.
G.B.H.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »
tony is probably right, most likely the plug is not live when the ignition is not on, you can check with a phone charger or something like that.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 07:13:36 PM »
I'll check with my volt meter tomorrow. Makes sense now that I think about it, I guess. My electrics knowledge is somewhere between understands the basics and dangerous to myself. lol
G.B.H.