Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Desert trip this weekend (1/16/21 - 1/17/21)  (Read 4964 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Desert trip this weekend (1/16/21 - 1/17/21)
« on: January 12, 2021, 01:01:27 PM »
The Mrs. and I are planning to take the Tacoma for a little shakedown trip this weekend. Looking to just putz around and explore during the day on Saturday, then spend the night somewhere out in the desert and return back home on Sunday.

Anza Borrego and Ocotillo Wells parks are open to day use, but closed to camping, so I'll probably stay away from those two areas. We can still camp on BLM land, or within the Mojave National Preserve. I'm leaning toward the BLM land along the Bradshaw Trail, as it's easily accessible and there's a lot of good exploring to be done out there along the old railroad. Although with it being a 3 day holiday weekend (and with Ocotillo Wells SVRA shut down to camping), I would expect there to be plenty of side-by-side activity out there, which could get annoying. So, I'm open to suggestions on better places.

If anyone is interested in joining us, either for wheeling/exploring or just for camping on Saturday evening, let me know. The "wheeling" will be very mild in nature, as I'm still getting used to the capabilities of my new truck, and it doesn't have full armor yet. That said, I just need to get away for a weekend and enjoy some time outdoors.

Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:48:58 PM by JFanaselle »

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
Re: Desert trip this weekend (1/16/21 - 1/17/21)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »
Hey Joe

I am hitting it this weekend with some friends from church, but we're heading out Fri afternoon and coming back Sat afternoon

Coyote Canyon was thrown around as a possible destination but wasn't confirmed and we're actually getting together tonight to go over possible locales.

I'll let you know where we end up choosing to go if you'd like

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
That's awesome, Christiaan! I'm glad you're getting out there this weekend, too! It should be gorgeous weather.

After some further consultation with the wife, and a general lack of interest from this group (I swear... you sell your Xterra to buy a Tacoma, and all of a sudden, you don't have any friends anymore! :P ) we have decided to start our trip on Saturday morning.

We are going to head out to the Corn Springs area and spend Saturday afternoon exploring. We'll spend Saturday night somewhere in the area of Red Cloud Mine Road, south of I-10. Sunday morning, we'll break camp and then we're going to meet my cousin and his wife at the Chevron station at Chiriaco Summit at 9:00 am. From there, we're heading south on Red Canyon Jeep Trail all the way to the Bradshaw Trail. We'll spend some time exploring around the mouth of Red Canyon, the old railroad line, and of course, the trestle bridge. We'll hook back up with Highway 111 near the town of North Shore in the afternoon, and head back north into the Coachella Valley to grab some dinner.

FBinSD

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 08:20:07 AM »
I was looking to get the family out for a night camping this weekend also.  Are you bringing you son?
2012 Frontier pro4x

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 09:11:55 AM »
I was looking to get the family out for a night camping this weekend also.  Are you bringing you son?

We are not bringing him. My mom is actually coming in to town from Arizona, and he wants to stay here at the house with her.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 09:30:57 AM »
Well, there's been a slight change of plans. We are no longer leaving today and camping tonight. This has now turned into a Sunday day-trip only.

If anyone is interested, we're still meeting at Chiriaco Summit Chevron station, but the meeting time has changed to 0800 on Sunday morning. The meet-up point is located at 62450 Chiriaco Rd, Chiriaco Summit, CA 92201. If you want to make this run with us, be there by 0800 so that you can be fueled up and use the restroom before we hit the road. We'll pull out at 0815 sharp. Be sure to bring your lunch and some cold beverages, as it'll be nice and warm out there tomorrow.

We'll be running the Red Canyon Jeep Trail to the south, and then taking the Bradshaw Trail west to Coachella Canal Road, where we'll re-connect with Highway 111 near the town of North Shore. We'll explore around the area of Red Canyon and the old railroad tracks, and we'll have lunch at the trestle bridge along the Bradshaw trail. The roads are 2WD friendly. We can really end the day anytime (just depends on how much exploring we want to do), but my plan is to be aired up and back on the hardball by 4:30 or 5:00 pm.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 12:55:34 PM »
I need to get away at least for a day, so I will meet you at Chiriaco Summit Gas Station in the morning.  Not sure if the kid is coming.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
I need to get away at least for a day, so I will meet you at Chiriaco Summit Gas Station in the morning.  Not sure if the kid is coming.

Sounds good Woody, we'll see you there in the AM! So far, it's just Jessica and I in our Taco, my cousin and his wife in their Jeep, and my cousin's friend in his Jeep, plus you.

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 02:56:39 PM »
Wish I could've done this one with you gentlemen,  I've been thinking of doing a Bradshaw/ train bridge day trip for a while. Please post up pics,  even if the Taco is in them.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 10:18:16 PM »
Well shoot, I wish I would have checked this post earlier, I would have jumped onto the trip. If you guys come up with something please let me know.
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 04:29:06 PM »
Well, it was an amazing day out in the desert! We ran down Red Canyon Jeep Trail to the Bradshaw Trail, and then headed back north into Red Canyon for a bit to explore the tall slot walls. From there, we headed over to the trestle bridge for lunch and then continued west. We explored an area I've never been before known as Hunter Spring, and checked out another really cool bridge along the railroad line (this one is west of the Coachella Canal, along a big salt playa). I also managed to get some killer shots of the new truck in its voyage on the dirt. :D

There are a few bugs that I'm still working out of the build, but overall, I'm happy with how it performed.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 04:33:50 PM by JFanaselle »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 08:50:36 PM »
And here are some shots of CAWoody's rig, too. It was a regular Taco Fest out there!  lol lol

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 12:55:51 PM »
 I will not succumb to the Taco craze, I will not submit to the Taco craze....lol Those trucks look pretty dang good.  I definitely miss wheeling the desert with you all.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 04:00:37 PM »
I will not succumb to the Taco craze, I will not submit to the Taco craze....lol

We saw 5 Tacos for every 1 Jeep last weekend; it was BONKERS.  Did they go on sale or something? 

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2021, 09:56:49 PM »
We saw 5 Tacos for every 1 Jeep last weekend; it was BONKERS.  Did they go on sale or something?

No. In fact, quite the opposite. My Taco was more than double what I paid for my Xterra. :( But I must say, the amount of aftermarket and community-manufactured support is freaking overwhelming! For example, there are like 25 different front bumpers made for this thing.

I will not succumb to the Taco craze, I will not submit to the Taco craze....lol Those trucks look pretty dang good.  I definitely miss wheeling the desert with you all.

You know you want to join the dark side  >:D       lol lol