Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Pepe, the Little Mule  (Read 47940 times)

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
Re: Pepe, the Little Mule
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2016, 02:43:53 PM »
Yes.

Stoked for you guys!  At this rate, I will never have to do OBA because all my cool friends will be sick and tired of waiting for me to air up with the Viar and just say back your truck up here and I'll do it for you.... My evil plans are coming together :D

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2016, 09:30:22 AM »

#because50

Sent from Cygnus-X1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2016, 11:53:22 AM »
YES!!!!  :D :D

Well done, sir  ;)

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2016, 01:45:26 PM »
Now I gotta download another movie.   Thanks!
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2016, 05:03:35 PM »

Sent from Cygnus-X1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2016, 09:08:06 PM »
Now I gotta download another movie.   Thanks!
You can download a movie, But you don't Text? :o
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
You can download a movie, But you don't Text? :o

He's talkin bout goin to Blockbuster and rentin him a videya cassette.
Isaiah 6:8

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2016, 10:43:53 PM »
  He's talkin bout goin to Blockbuster and rentin him a videya cassette.
In Betamax
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2016, 11:10:49 PM »

Sent from Cygnus-X1

TRUTH!!!!  ;)

You guys are awesome!  I love a good thread jack!!  :D :D :D

RBduffer

• BOD
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:19 AM »
A special thanks to Jay, Erik and Tony, I feel the love O0

Now the thread jack is over, back to Pepe.
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2016, 09:42:19 AM »
Great spot for the compressor. Although it's designed for it, I put it there to avoid the elements. The achillies heel in these systems are the air intakes/filters.
   They need to be in fresh air and away (relocted) from road grim. If they are breathing hot air or being dunked in mud, they won't be happy.
   If the compressor is located up front and/or low on the rig, perhaps relocating the inlets to the air box might be in order. 
   Clean fresh air, on demand.
The compressor is loud....but it's not that bad. It is heavy and will need some sort of bracket to prop it up. It draws an @$$ load of current and will need serious power line to reach the rear. I ran 2awg all the way to the rear into an agu distribution block.
    Let me know if you need a hand getting this going.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2016, 01:28:16 PM »
Not that it's a secret that I enjoy spending your money. But I think with this set up, you might as well do a dual battery set up in the back and power the comp from the rear. Extra battery will give you that piece of mind when you guys are out alone

RBduffer

• BOD
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2016, 02:19:31 PM »
The extra battery is really only necessary for loads that you run when the engine is not running, i.e. camping lights, stereo or refrigeration.  Otherwise your alternator will handle the load just fine (keep engine running when filling tires).  But Toro is right, you need to run heavy wire for the extra distance.
Wire gets longer
Resistance goes up
Voltage goes down
Amps goes up
Heat goes up
Performance goes down
Rinse, repeat
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:22:34 PM by RBduffer »
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2016, 04:18:14 PM »
The 2nd battery would basically act as a big capacitor and would allow you to run smaller cable to the back of the vehicle.  So I agree with putting a  2nd battery in the back near the compressor, even if it's a small one. 

I was contemplating this but my compressor only draws half of what the ARB dual does so it wasn't as big an issue to run 4ga to the rear.  I am still planning on doing a 2nd battery to power the fridge and compressor but still in the design phase of my storage/kitchen/2nd battery solution.

Sent from my RTT while stargazing

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
Battery vs. Wire Gauge
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2016, 02:47:41 PM »
Great spot for the compressor. Although it's designed for it, I put it there to avoid the elements. The achillies heel in these systems are the air intakes/filters.
   They need to be in fresh air and away (relocted) from road grim. If they are breathing hot air or being dunked in mud, they won't be happy.
   If the compressor is located up front and/or low on the rig, perhaps relocating the inlets to the air box might be in order. 
   Clean fresh air, on demand.
The compressor is loud....but it's not that bad. It is heavy and will need some sort of bracket to prop it up. It draws an @$$ load of current and will need serious power line to reach the rear. I ran 2awg all the way to the rear into an agu distribution block.
    Let me know if you need a hand getting this going.

Thanks! FiG installed the ARB this weekend.  Love the awesome pic of your rig after camping!  :D

We def did NOT run this heavy a gauge....  :(

Not that it's a secret that I enjoy spending your money. But I think with this set up, you might as well do a dual battery set up in the back and power the comp from the rear. Extra battery will give you that piece of mind when you guys are out alone

I'm aware of your delight in spending our money!! LOL  Hopefully, I can reciprocate!  >:D

And I really don't want an extra battery in the back, if that can be avoided.....

The extra battery is really only necessary for loads that you run when the engine is not running, i.e. camping lights, stereo or refrigeration.  Otherwise your alternator will handle the load just fine (keep engine running when filling tires).  But Toro is right, you need to run heavy wire for the extra distance.
Wire gets longer
Resistance goes up
Voltage goes down
Amps goes up
Heat goes up
Performance goes down
Rinse, repeat

We didn't think we needed an extra battery, either.  Figured we'd keep the vehicle running to air up the tires, and the alternator should handle the load.  How BAD is it if we ran the wrong gauge?

The 2nd battery would basically act as a big capacitor and would allow you to run smaller cable to the back of the vehicle.  So I agree with putting a  2nd battery in the back near the compressor, even if it's a small one. 

I was contemplating this but my compressor only draws half of what the ARB dual does so it wasn't as big an issue to run 4ga to the rear.  I am still planning on doing a 2nd battery to power the fridge and compressor but still in the design phase of my storage/kitchen/2nd battery solution.

Sent from my RTT while stargazing

You guys are KILLING ME!!!   :'( :'(   

Already pulled wire and installed ARB OBA (pic to follow)......

Obviously I'm thick headed.....  I don't understand why an extra battery in the back would allow us to run smaller cable...wouldn't it need to be the same gauge? 

And crapola, guys...... I think we ran too small a gauge...... ARB required 10awg, we ran 8awg (2 red, one black).  Obviously we didn't accurately account for distance as we didn't run the formula.... :'(

I looked up the formula and basically we need to run 2awg for each wire?!?!  The 8awg barely fit along the path we ran, how the hell are we supposed to get 3- 2awg wires to fit?!?!?!  :o  :o

Also, just because I'm having a gauge crisis, don't think for a second I don't super appreciate all your input.  'Cuz I do....

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:50:44 PM by PainRoller »