Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Panamint Mountains Question ?  (Read 2548 times)

CKayaks

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 2010 Xterra Offroad
Panamint Mountains Question ?
« on: December 23, 2015, 07:37:22 PM »
I posted this in TheNewX as well and got some good tips.  Thought I would double check here as well. I am going to do a solo photo retreat in the Panamints between Christmas and New Years. Looking for any recent information on the following trails.

* Likely Pleasant Canyon one day and night. I know South Park Canyon is a no-go, so I'm not doing the loop. Just an out and back from Ballarat to Rogers Pass and South Park. This one is the one I am most concerned about.

* Coler Canyon > Coyote Canyon > Mengel Pass > Butte Valley > Warm Springs and then spend a day or two to catch the light and night skies. Try to stay at one of the cabins below Mengel Pass.  Word is Mengel is pretty mangled, so I may backtrack and loop around to approach Butte Valley from Warm Springs as an alternative if the road condition looks dicey for solo.

* Will be coming in from Ridgecrest and thought I would cut across the Slate Range from Trona per the Massey book.  Looks pretty low key from the trail descriptions.

I will be in Ridgecrest on Monday the 28th and then driving across the Slate range the next day. The rest of the plan will unfold per conditions. Temps in DV are forecast to be in the high 20s/low 30s overnight, making it very nippy higher up in the Panamints.  I may make these day trips and wimp out to a motel for the overnights. Will decide as I get closer to the 28th.
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea." Isak Dinesen