Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Indian Cave Painting in So Cal  (Read 12291 times)

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
Indian Cave Painting in So Cal
« on: March 07, 2011, 10:51:59 AM »
Hey y'all,

Could use your help if your willing. Taking out a special girl (possibly soon to be GF) for her birthday in a couple months for special kind of adventure.  She's really into Native American history at the moment.  Here's what I'm working on planning and she's clued in to plans.

1st half of the day the plan is to go out to Anza Borrego area and do some off-roading/hiking with a goal of finding or spending a good amount of time looking at Indian cave painting / hieroglyphics.  In the few years I've been off-roading down in that area I've never come across any.  Know where to find any good one? Got any suggestions on trail, guide books, or UTM coordinates? 

2nd half of the day we're heading up to Julian to spend part of the afternoon hanging out at the wolf reserve and take some photos.  Any of you ever been there?  What did you think?  Did you take a personal tour?  Photography tour?

And lastly, looking for a special dinner.  I've got to do some googling on this first, but I figured I'd throw it you way too.  Any of you ever eaten at a place that serves authentic Native American food?  Are there any restaurants that you know of that serve this kind of food in So Cal or near Anza?
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
Re: Indian Cave Painting in So Cal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 11:45:47 AM »
Okay, got one more thing to add...  Any of you have any connections to the Palomar Observatory?  I know its not open to the GP for night time viewing.  Just wondering if any of you have ever had a chance to get in there at night time and take a look.
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 02:13:57 PM »
That sounds like it's going to be pretty full day.

There are some Native American pictographs on a rock at Blair Valley. You drive several miles up an easy sandy trail (2WD, I've seen BMW's in the parking area) then walk up about 1 mile along a well-marked trail to a large rock with pictographs. Follow the signs for the Pictographs, and the road and hiking trail are described in several guidebooks. We've had a few club runs out there over the last few years, look for references to Blair Valley in the Pictures section.

Here is a shot of the rock with someone in it for scale - in this case Mitch, who was translating the meaning of the symbols for us.

Also, on the way up to the Pictograph Trail there is another shorter hiking trail (about 1/4 mile) that leads to the site of an old Native American village. There are quite a few mortero holes in the rock, where they used to grind stuff up. There are also a few around the pictograph rock, probably used to grind up the pigment for the symbols.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 06:14:37 PM »
Frank, I think your camera is broken.  It made me look fat.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

SteeevO

• 4wd Pts: 23
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 07:57:01 PM »
Sounds like a pretty cool day.
Unfortunately i don't have any useful input for you.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 09:16:20 PM »
Frank, I think your Julian apple pie is broken.  It made me look fat.

Fixed it for 'ya.  Nyuk, Nyuk, nyuk...
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Kyle J. Thompson

• 4wd Pts: 5
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 09:54:29 AM »
I don't have any connections for you but why not just call them? Explain your story and you never know they could say yes. The worse they could say is no.

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 04:39:44 PM »
This site may give you some ideas.  http://www.kumeyaay.info/museums/sandiegomuseums.html

1)  First show her your sensitive side with a trip to the museum:  The Barona Cultural Center and Museum is dedicated to preserving the Native American culture and history of San Diego County.

2)  Then go for a nice little hike:  Canyoneers Nature Walks (Lake Hodges), hike through a variety of terrains, past a waterfall, and learn about Indian uses for plants in this area rich in Kumeyaay history.

3)  And if you do decide to make her your g/f, this will be the clincher.  Shopping! 
KUMEYAAY Indian store SHUMUP KO HUP (in Old Town San Diego State Park):  The Indigenous California Indian source to buy authentic fine California Indian Baskets Basketry by the Kumeyaay Indigenous peoples of Southern California. 

Bobby B.

• BOD
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:43:14 PM »
Get to know her first.  If things go well and a road trip is in order, go here:

http://www.climb-utah.com/Moab/mill.htm

I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:38:45 PM »
Fixed it for 'ya.  Nyuk, Nyuk, nyuk...
I know for a fact that Mitch painted that on there himself and protrays him in an unnatural act.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:34:42 AM »
I know for a fact that Mitch painted that on there himself and protrays him in an unnatural act.

:D :D :D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:26:33 PM »

Actually, I was saying that the pointy things reminded me of the stick I used to keep you and John in line at Bobby's pervy "clothing is not an option spa" at Tecopa Hot Springs.

Bobby B.

• BOD
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 08:54:13 PM »
You're just gonna keep stirring that old stew, aren't 'ya.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 06:26:21 AM »
You're just gonna keep stirring that old stew, aren't 'ya.

I still have nightmares.

FrankB

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:32 AM »
I still have nightmares.

"Just so you know, Dan is a totally different person when you're alone with him and John out in the middle of the Nevada desert huddled in the back of your X under a sleeping bag clutching a Surefire and a Sig and wearing an aluminum foil beany." - Soylent Yellow (shortly after his return from the aforementioned trip, and before he had to change his screen name).

I believe that those sort of memories are burned into your brain (and now the internet) for all eternity.