Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Expedition Advice Needed  (Read 16770 times)

FrankB

Re: Expedition Advice Needed
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2016, 07:54:19 PM »
I'm not trying to stir anything up here, but . . .

Mr. Ghost65, I know that you are very into Geocaching, and I just spotted this in the trip thread on TheNewX that I think you should be aware of.  It sounds somewhat restrictive to me, and could well take all the fun out of any Geocaching.

"I have been out with Geocachers before.
if they look for them at planned stops(communicate beforehand where and when you would like to stop), no problemo.(time limit this)

I will post a planned list of stopping point and how many miles we should need to accomplish each day to stay reasonably on track.

Think of a reasonable time limit for each cache finding and communicate that to the rest of the group. so we can hold you to that..
or after we have made camp for the night then go find your close geocaches.

I want everyone to be hams for this trip and to have at LEAST a hand held if they go looking for geocaches. This will be a requirement."

FrankB

« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2016, 07:56:59 PM »
. . .  I think I just hit some trigger words and need to get to my safe space and contemplate things as a whole as it relates to my snowflake inner feelings.

I think you are writing this in English, but I have no idea what that means.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2016, 08:15:18 PM »
I'm not trying to stir anything up here, but . . .

Mr. Ghost65, I know that you are very into Geocaching, and I just spotted this in the trip thread on TheNewX that I think you should be aware of.  It sounds somewhat restrictive to me, and could well take all the fun out of any Geocaching.

"I have been out with Geocachers before.
if they look for them at planned stops(communicate beforehand where and when you would like to stop), no problemo.(time limit this)

I will post a planned list of stopping point and how many miles we should need to accomplish each day to stay reasonably on track.

Think of a reasonable time limit for each cache finding and communicate that to the rest of the group. so we can hold you to that..
or after we have made camp for the night then go find your close geocaches.

I want everyone to be hams for this trip and to have at LEAST a hand held if they go looking for geocaches. This will be a requirement."

What is that an excerpt from the Operational Order from Adolph Hitler during Operation Barbarosa?
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Expedition Advice Needed
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »

Eh...I'm out.

Way to restrictive.

It's kinda funny...but then it isn't.

People are actually attending this???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:47:39 PM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2016, 08:53:22 PM »
Eh...I'm out.

Way to restrictive.

Yep, you silly Geocachers are now under the Generalissimo's federal edicts it seems since you are not capable of going out and having some fun without being under direct control or beck and call of the Supreme Leader....... Just imagine it, breaking off from the group to go "Geocaching" that's just well, sacrilege and not sticking to the exact, pre-planned, pre-plotted, pre-determined plan, How dare you!!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 08:56:42 PM by Celt »

FrankB

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2016, 10:58:56 PM »
Eh...I'm out.

Way to restrictive.

Dude! I was so looking forward to the company.

Actually, it's getting pretty restrictive for me too, but I'm not ready to back out just yet.  I intend to continue with the information gathering and trip planning.*

* How else can we keep this thread going. I'm sure there is more to discuss.

Celt

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2016, 12:13:36 AM »
Dude! I was so looking forward to the company.

Actually, it's getting pretty restrictive for me too, but I'm not ready to back out just yet.  I intend to continue with the information gathering and trip planning.*

* How else can we keep this thread going. I'm sure there is more to discuss.

I was hoping by now to have heard from the trip organizer with some detailed information for you. I know there are a lot of unanswered tough questions still afoot. Have you heard any other requirements such as specific required gearing or any other very expensive changes you would need to make prior to going? I'm sure there is a very detailed list of "required" items to have with you. Has your quest for a "Bonnet cover" for storage items panned out yet? I would imagine you would be the first kid on your block to own a "Bonnet cover" and as cool as it is I can imagine the idea would catch on like wildfire and in no time you would see them everywhere. Heck I would imagine they would go into common production soon after people see it in action. You should start a new thread and call it The rig of FrankBUSA so we can all follow it learning about what we have to do to our vehicles in order to be able to Wheel For The Gold!

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2016, 01:12:19 AM »
JTIII is prepped for AK

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/921/PgP3TO.jpg
Expedition Advice Needed

^^^^^^
THIS IS WHY WE LOVE YOU STEVE
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »
You should add these to your list of extras for your vehicle and trailers:

You can never be to prepared.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2016, 12:11:21 PM »
You should add these to your list of extras for your vehicle and trailers:

You can never be to prepared.

Most excellent idea!!!

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2016, 05:56:18 PM »
I wish I had these problems. AK would be awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2016, 11:03:47 PM »
I wish I had these problems. AK would be awesome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Meh...read the fine print...this run is rated...

KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2016, 10:19:11 AM »
I was looking through the trip planning thread on TheNewX earlier today, and saw this posted by someone from Northern California back in August of this year.  It appeared to be in response to request to confirm attendance one year in advance of the trip.

"I would bet that you don't hear from Celt either."

I'm not sure what it means, but it sounded kind of snarky.  Have I missed something?

Celt

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2016, 06:47:20 PM »

"I would bet that you don't hear from Celt either."

I'm not sure what it means, but it sounded kind of snarky.  Have I missed something?

Well from what it seems the nefarious group's ramrod trail leader, advice giver, task master, scotch drinking, mastermind "grand poobah" said I cannot attend because I did not meet the requirements of three spare tires, scotch (Which I personally think is nasty), overloaded trailer, .45/70 carbine, 10 spare fuel cans, three fridge/freezers, 3 advanced tool kits, portable welder, portable toilet (This one seems to be a very big one), some thing called a "jenna jameson" stripper toy for my antenna that I can post youtube vidoes of while driving down the roadway and the obligatory bug-suit. It was a similar story for some trip called the "Rubicon" where said glorious leader thought my vehicle was not up to the task because I didn't have his mandatory self approved gearing. Although I suspect something went awry because from all reports on the day of the trip the only other person that showed up was a passenger... But that is an entirely different story and I digress......

Man these trips with the grand poobah are getting harder and harder to attend. The requirements are vast, the skills are many and I just don't think I'm up to the task. No wonder I don't have my own personalized nametag yet. Maybe with many many more years of diligent wheeling, spending a good majority of my disposable income at his choice of fix-it places for the grand poobah's list of approved upgrades and sending the grand poobah trip reports and videos of my severely lacking wheeling abilities I may one day be accepted into his approval and given the slight nod of approval. Then and only then will I have the rights to purchase my very own "Bonnet cover" so I too can get the admiration of the off road world as I come thundering down the trail in 4l with lockers a-blazin on those tough flat dusty sections somewhere around trails like the Pontiac Sleuce. Until then FrankB, I just don't see me attending any of these expedition extraordinaire trips with the grand poobah and his group of intrepid followers.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 07:00:53 PM by Celt »

FrankB

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
. . . . I cannot attend because I did not meet the requirements of three spare tires, scotch (Which I personally think is nasty), overloaded trailer, .45/70 carbine, 10 spare fuel cans, three fridge/freezers, 3 advanced tool kits, portable welder, portable toilet (This one seems to be a very big one), some thing called a "jenna jameson" stripper toy for my antenna that I can post youtube vidoes of while driving down the roadway and the obligatory bug-suit. . . . The requirements are vast, the skills are many and I just don't think I'm up to the task. . . . "

At this point I'm thinking the exact same thing.  If you can't qualify, there is no way I'll ever be qualified to attend, even with all the great advice I've received here.  For a while there it was really fun imagining I could actually do it, drive all the way to the end of the northern most road in the US, but I guess it's time to return to reality, and get to working planning the types of trip I really like . . . which generally involve staying at some nice Hilton hotel. 

Thanks again everyone for all the great advice.