Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: You can put your own CO2 tank together  (Read 11752 times)

RockinX

• 4wd Pts: 33
Re: You can put your own CO2 tank together
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:35 PM »
Please excuse the lame questions......  where do you refill the tank?  How fast can it fill the tires back up compared to a compressor?  How many tires before a refill of the tank is required?  How much to refill? 

I was using Airgas, 2250 Buena Vista in Duarte (800.931.4327) but they don't recertify.  Since I needed the CO2 hydro test done before my last refill, Airgas referred me to CO2 Carbonics & Supplies Co., 117 S. Vermont Avenue in Glendora (626.914.5529).  The refill for my 10# tank was $18.00 and the certification cost $30.00.  I called ahead of time since I hadn't been there before and was able to get the refill done on the spot and with no exchange required.

I notice the speed to fill my tires is lightening quick on a full tank, but once the air volume gets low it takes a while longer. 

Sorry for this late post.  My combo modem/router went out over a week ago so I only have Internet access from work. 

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 04:37:42 PM »
I was using Airgas, 2250 Buena Vista in Duarte (800.931.4327) but they don't recertify.  Since I needed the CO2 hydro test done before my last refill, Airgas referred me to CO2 Carbonics & Supplies Co., 117 S. Vermont Avenue in Glendora (626.914.5529).  The refill for my 10# tank was $18.00 and the certification cost $30.00.  I called ahead of time since I hadn't been there before and was able to get the refill done on the spot and with no exchange required.

I notice the speed to fill my tires is lightening quick on a full tank, but once the air volume gets low it takes a while longer. 

Sorry for this late post.  My combo modem/router went out over a week ago so I only have Internet access from work. 

Thanks Marshann,
I hoped we would hear from you.   I KNEW you had CO2 and had to have dealt with all this before us "newbies"  :P

So will Airgas refill?
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

RockinX

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
Thanks Marshann,
I hoped we would hear from you.   I KNEW you had CO2 and had to have dealt with all this before us "newbies"  :P

So will Airgas refill?

Yes, Airgas will refill without an exchange required.  They charge me a little over $14.00 because when I first went there, the guy at the counter applied a contractors license to my account in order to give me a discount.  I think it was a girl thing, so it may not work for all you newbies.  :P

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 05:16:51 PM »
beverage factory sells cheap tanks.
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2/C10.shtml
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2/C15.shtml
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2/C20.shtml

cheap 150psi fixed reg
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.htmlhttp://www.polyperformance.com/shop/CO2-Fixed-Regulator-p-297.html

similar regulator with fitting and they have hoses( they also have adjustable regulators, mounting brackets, tanks and full systems but dont look because bikerscage doesnt want to spend over $200 so :P)
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm

ah screw it,  powertank system for $320 for you moneybags out there.
http://powertank.com/products/sfID1/20/productID/464
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RockinX

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »
Thanks Marshann,
I KNEW you had CO2 and had to have dealt with all this before us "newbies"  :P

LOL!  Thanks again Terry for dragging my just-filled tank across the deep rolling sands of Azusa Canyon to my truck after John fixed his popped bead.  Afterwards, I realized I should have removed the heavy metal mount first, which would have taken another 10 lbs. off the weight.  In my defense, I was wearing notorious flip-flops that have been the downfall of more than one SCCX member on the trail.

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »
LOL!  Thanks again Terry for dragging my just-filled tank across the deep rolling sands of Azusa Canyon to my truck after John fixed his popped bead.  Afterwards, I realized I should have removed the heavy metal mount first, which would have taken another 10 lbs. off the weight.  In my defense, I was wearing notorious flip-flops that have been the downfall of more than one SCCX member on the trail.

I wasn't draggin'..   I was carryin'  I don't remember it hitting the ground once... :D
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

BikersCage

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 07:37:21 PM »
Great constructive post guys I think we have something here for the cheapies like me.  Now we need to work on a cargo rear rack cheapie... Ready go.

Also thanks to terry and others involved.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 07:53:28 PM »
Great constructive post guys I think we have something here for the cheapies like me.  Now we need to work on a cargo rear rack cheapie... Ready go.

Also thanks to terry and others involved.

Didn't toro make one of these? 
Jordan - K6XTE

SoCalXTerry

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 08:50:41 PM »

Didn't toro make one of these? 

Yes he did.   A damn fine one if you ask me.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

BikersCage

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
Yes but I haven't started to learn to weld ill do my measurements cutting sanding... Finishing if someone welds for me!!!!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 08:49:42 AM »
I understand power tank has those extra's.  However the point of this was to keep it around 200 bucks though.  320 is already way more than I want to spend.

If i want it a pretty color ill plasti dip it or something so i can take it off and change it later.  I want the functionality and it to be decent materials.

I think Jordan was just posting the general information about the Powertanks/discounted stuff here...cheaper pricing is good...options are better.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »
CO2 tanks are great, I've had one since 2006. But, they are very heavy, and really should be secured solidly in the truck so that they don't go flying around. I actually stopped taking mine on the trails years ago, just ran out of room to keep it secured with all the other stuff I have in there.

Keep in mind that the pressure gauge (if you even have one, depending on the regulator you choose) won't tell you how much CO2 is left in the tank. An easy way to tell when you're getting low is to weigh the tank. Weigh it empty before you get it filled the first time, and then weigh it again right after. A 10-pound tank should be 10 pounds heavier, more or less. When it gets close to the empty weight you know it's time for a fill.  Also, at least in San Diego, the places I've been to won't top the tank off, they empty it, test it, then fill.  That means no going in with half a tank for a quick top-off.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:33 AM »
Yea that's why its always good to have a backup compressor so you can still fill up when you run out of co2.  Or carry a second heavy tank
Jordan - K6XTE

BikersCage

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »
Started ordering parts for this today.  I will let you guys know how it comes out.