Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: replacement clutch? Maybe?  (Read 12678 times)

BikersCage

• 4wd Pts: 4
replacement clutch? Maybe?
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:38 PM »
Hey guys,

So i just got an email from my wife stating she had to have the truck towed from Pasadena to San Diego.  Luckily we have some good friends who's AAA covered it.

Onto the real reason why I am here.  It sounds like a clutch issue.

Before I left i had a few times some of the gears slip at 4k RPM's. I was mostly having problems in second and third. It easily passed by them, but as i feared it got worse and she totally lost power when returning home from Sacramento.  She said she had no problems with it up there, but after she had got through the mountains south it just finally gave up.  She tried to start it again and it started, but when she went to put it in gear it went to 5k rpms and didnt move then started smelling it.

It sounds like a clutch issue to me.

If so since I am not home and cannot devote a weekend to trying to replace it myself.  Does anyone know someone in San Diego that isnt going to screw me to bad on pricing.  I fear now replacing the clutch is going to kill my tire carrier dreams.  I want the truck ready when I get back to san diego so im not just goint to have it sit there.  Any help would be awesome, i dont want to send it to the dealer and have them eat my bank account.

Thanks

Rich

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Re: replacement clutch? Maybe?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
I can't speak for install but if you want a deal on a JWT clutch I can help with that. 

Not sent with the stupid auto guide app
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
Re: replacement clutch? Maybe?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 02:32:23 PM »
It is dfinitely your clutch.  I've always felt that, if you have to replace it, you might as well upgrade it and not ever have to worry about it.  Spend some extra cash on a good performance clutch like ACT, ClutchMasters,  Fidanza, or Centerforce.  They simply last longer and grip better. 

I have the Centerforce Dual Friction competitio kit which includes the clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing and pilot bearing.  Retails for $500, I paid $175 on an ebay auction simply because it had damaged packaging. 
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
Expect to pay $150-$200 to remove it, and the same to replace it.  Any tranny shop can do it.  So, unfortunately, it will eat up your funds for the tire carrier.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

BikersCage

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »
Well,

It looks like i am going to go with a centerforce.  Apparently ive been getting at least more out of it than most people.  I have used that clutch to tow a compact car across country once and then to tow a Uhal across country twice.  Plus it still got about 50k on it.  The one before that I had towed a 23' jetboat for 2 summers and got 40k on it.

So not too bad compared to those people not doing anything and getting 10k out of the stock ones.

I just hope the flywheel is not gone also.  Now moving my tire carrier back till around christmas timeframe... as long as that flywheel isnt gone.

Thanks for the input.

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »
Yeah, I've been trying to get a tire carrier for 3 yrs now.  One thing or another...
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

BikersCage

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 08:07:44 PM »
Ugh, so they quoted my wife at 100 an hour for 7to 8 hours.  If its going to cost me around 2k i may just have it sitting there for me to do when I get home.

Does anyone know someone who has time on their hands and wants to earn a couple hundred bucks! lol  I just dont want to pay close to 1k in labor costs i was expecting something like 400-500 but 800 is about double.

Anywho as of now the wife is calling around to find out if we can get a better price.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
Well sad to say but she will most likely get quoted high everywhere, not too many honest shops out there.  Where are you located?

Jordan - K6XTE

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 01:05:51 PM »
Ugh, so they quoted my wife at 100 an hour for 7to 8 hours.  If its going to cost me around 2k i may just have it sitting there for me to do when I get home.

Does anyone know someone who has time on their hands and wants to earn a couple hundred bucks! lol  I just dont want to pay close to 1k in labor costs i was expecting something like 400-500 but 800 is about double.

Anywho as of now the wife is calling around to find out if we can get a better price.

Hey Rich,

You're well aware of my mechanical skills, but if there's anything I can do to help save you a few bucks please let me know!!!

-Christiaan

BikersCage

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
The truck is at my house right now.

We live in Mira Mesa area in San Diego.  So its right above Fashion Valley in between the 805 and the 5.

She is still trying other shops.  Then she is going to try the local community college.  They sometimes will do projects like this for free as long as we provide parts.

*shrug*

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 09:59:50 AM »
Well I live in Mira mesa, we could maybe get a couple people together and do a mod day.  I'll admit I've never done a clutch in an Xterra but I've got plenty o experience with building cars. 

Jordan - K6XTE

BikersCage

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 10:13:11 PM »
Well the wife still has to call a few people.  I am not home till october.

Im sure if you guys are helping us out my wife wouldnt mind hosting you guys and doing lunch and goodies, but like i said im not home to help till october.  I should have all the tools to do it, except maybe something to rest it all on or anything like that.  I just have the floor jack.

Let me know if you have any ideas.  She would have to tow it to get it anywhere else.

Still waiting for her to call a few more shops and the community college.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 11:32:20 AM »
Oh I've got all the tools, and plenty o experience. A couple extra hands is always helpful and a good learning experience for others. Ill call around a couple shops i know of and see what they quote me.  Keep us updated, I'm available most weekends.  

Also I don't know if you have AAA or not but if your wife needs towing to a shop I have towing through my ins, they will tow anything as long as I'm present.  
Jordan - K6XTE

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 01:53:40 PM »
I would love to help in anyway I can....please keep me updated

SuperSlideStyle

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »
NO, DON'T HAVE HER CALL!!  Shops will high-ball her.  Unfortunately, its a guys world.  A guy has to do it.  That first quote she got is very high.  $500-600 sounds about right.  You could organize a MOD DAY, save money and have lots of help available.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD