Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Sandstone Canyon blocked by rockslide  (Read 10135 times)

FrankB

Sandstone Canyon blocked by rockslide
« on: April 11, 2010, 10:27:57 PM »
When I was at the Anza Borrego State Park Visitor Center this morning I noticed that as of 4/4 Sandstone Canyon was completely blocked by a large rockslide at about 1.2 miles from the entrance.  For those who have been on the last few Xcursions out there with me, I'm pretty sure that would be before the spot where we stopped for lunch each time.  I have not seen it for myself yet, but it sounds like the really narrow spots are no long accessible except on foot.

Here is a link to a Ford truck forum where someone has posted some pics.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/945971-so-cal-earthquake-dodging-boulders-in-anza-borrego-pictures-added.html

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Sandstone Canyon blocked by rockslide
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 06:59:41 AM »
Those are some really great photos.  :o 

I wonder if anyone (the park service?) will attempt to break down or move those boulders for access?  What do you think Frank?  Or is this just the natural progression of geology in the desert?

Those folks in the Ford truck are very lucky.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Phall92139

• 4wd Pts: 2
  • I'm watching you!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up, Frank.

With all the rocking and rolling we've been doing lately I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that's all the damage there was.  I know this is the natural course of things but those areas are to great to drive in to let Mother Nature shut 'em down  Let's all keep our antennas on for any call to help that may be put out concerning clearing some of the huge stuff out of the way.  My knees and back may not let me tote rocks very far but I'd certainly be willing to do what I can to chip in.  Between all the different types of rigs you see in the area we ought to be able to get some sort of "Friends of..." support group together.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 09:18:54 PM by Phall92139 »
-Phil

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose."
--Dr. Seuss

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
Great find Frank.  Wow, how scary is that?  We were kind of joking about the rocks falling on the trucks the last time we were out there.  Never again.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

GUANO

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:12 AM »
good time to look for placer gold!  ;)

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 09:49:13 PM »
Wow ... wonder if "the squeeze" got crushed?
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:37 PM »
Wow ... wonder if "the squeeze" got crushed?

Can you imagine what it must have been like in the Slot when that thing hit?  I wonder if all of that leaning spire-like formation is still up there.

When I was in Anza Borrego on the weekend before (in Sandstone Canyon) I joked about how I thought that I had hit my limit for time hiking in the Slot over the past 6 months, as I figured that anything more than twice in that space of time was pushing my luck. I was in Sandstone Canyon on 3/23 and 3/27, and had thought about going again on 4/4 but we wound up doing something in San Diego.  I'm really surprised that no one was caught on the wrong side of it, but Sundays generally are quieter than Saturdays there.

I would still like to get out there to see it if I can find some time before it gets too hot.

GUANO

• 4wd Pts: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 08:54:49 AM »
I still haven't been out there yet and would like to see it before spring dies.    I may attempt a run May 15th.