Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Such as my life  (Read 4222 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Such as my life
« on: June 19, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
 Well I saw my icon shocks started leaking. Brought them in for a rebuild and they are dee-stroyed. I now have the options of: A: Buy all the parts and have them completely rebuilt because the only thins salvageable is the body and coil springs. Option B: Buy new shocks and have them set up with proper dampening and type of spring. Admittedly option #B will give me a better ide as the way the icons are set up makes the front end pretty stiff for daily driving. Either way it ain't gonna be cheap.....
Isaiah 6:8

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Such as my life
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 02:42:34 PM »
I know it won't be cheap, but I'd go with complete replacement. If you go Radflo, call them directly and work out the specs, they have everything on hand and you're cutting out the middle man. I feel like the middle man is the number one reason everyone has complaints about Radflo ship times.
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 04:34:48 PM »
Radflo is here in Fountain Valley. Local to me

Celt

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 05:58:29 PM »
I had an option for King, they were $1500.00 and 5 to 6 weeks build time. That's too much time to wait. What I'm thinking to do is rebuild my icon's at this point. They can send me the rebuild parts for everything. Still waiting on the cost of everything but they have the parts in stock. I considered going with Radflo but I'm not sure what the turn around time will be with them. For other reasons I need to get the X back up on the road as quickly as possible.

**Edit**

I just looked up the Radflo site and that may be something I will do. It says their turnaround time is 10 days. Maybe they can move quicker? I know a lot you guys have the Radflo's on the front and like them. My front end is pretty heavy so I need to see if they can set them up stiff enough to mitigate the front end body roll while not driving like a brick on the street. I have Radflo's on the rear that I've been thus far impressed with. As always opinions are welcomed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:06:35 PM by Celt »

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2020, 06:25:55 PM »
I loved my Radflos on my X and I am looking at putting them in the Tacoma.  If I remember correctly, PRG used 650 springs with a steel bumper and winch and fro what I heard they rode stiff.  I've  talked to the techs at Radflo and they will, set any spring rate you want and will swap the springs if you are not happy.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 10:28:13 AM »
My Radflo's 2.5 are 700 lbs spring with steel bumper and skids and winch. I love them
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Celt

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:32:20 AM »
Well, according to Radflo they are going to take 4 to 6 weeks to build two shocks. This is just plain silly......

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2020, 03:21:25 PM »
I loved my Radflos on my X and I am looking at putting them in the Tacoma.  If I remember correctly, PRG used 650 springs with a steel bumper and winch and fro what I heard they rode stiff.  I've  talked to the techs at Radflo and they will, set any spring rate you want and will swap the springs if you are not happy.

Remember that with the design of Celt's Calmini front bumper, a lot of that weight is pushed further away from the fulcrum point than it is with a Shrockworks or Hefty front bumper, which essentially makes the front end act heavier than it really is.

When I was running that same front bumper (along with a Smittybilt X20 10K winch), I had Radflo extended travel 2.5 coilovers with 650 pound springs, and I felt like they were actually too soft. But ride quality is subjective, and others may have thought it was just right. I guess I should add that I am not running a front or rear sway bar, and I run Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac tires (which are notoriously soft and squishy), so I like the suspension to be a little more stiff.

So your mileage may vary, but I personally like the ride better now with those same 650 pound coils and the aluminum front bumper (about 100 lbs lighter than the previous Calmini setup). If I were buying new springs today for the Calmini bumper setup that I used to have, my preference would be to go with 700 pounds.

Celt

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 10:05:06 AM »
 I was talking with our local Canadian and he suggested calling Greg at PRG. After a few minutes of discussion on the phone about what I needed I decided to order a shock through him. I told him about the 5-6 week build time at Radflo. He told me that he believed he could get it delivered in 10 days. Fast forward to last night, I get a call from Greg. He told me he hadn't placed the order until he made sure they could deliver in the 10 days he gave me. His reasoning was he didn't want to take my money and promise a delivery time and not come through on it. He called Radflo and explained my predicament. Radflo agreed to get them done right away. I mentioned that I have a couple Jeeps and one is still a build project. He said I could call him anytime I have suspension questions and he would be glad to help, you don't just get that kind of service these days. I can't say enough good about Greg, amazing service and integrity. I know many here have gone through PRG before but I'm here to tell you this man and his company is top notch.

His link if someone is in the market: https://www.prgproducts.com/

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
I agree, Celt.  Greg is a good dude.
For folks looking to speak with him, you may find getting a hold of him on the phone a bit frustrating.
He's kind of a one-man band.  I've found that if you send him an email with the request for a call, he'll get back to you usually on the same day.

I ordered some radflos from him on Thursday 6/11 in the afternoon.  He placed the order with radflo on Friday and reported to me that the order was accepted Monday.
He said it should take roughly 10 days (which is tomorrow)
I'm hoping to receive tracking info tomorrow.
We'll see!!

Also, his radiator brackets are really really nice!  Thanks Miles. 

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

FrankB

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
Greg is definitely a good guy, and always a source of reliable information and good products.

Back in 2007 he installed his suspension lift on my 2005 X.  In those days it was Total Chaos upper control arms, Radflo shocks in the front with Eibach coilovers, and a 2-leaf Deaver add-on in the back.  We kept the OR version Bilstein rear shocks that had been given to me by another SCCX member.  I think this was one of the first installations (not the first, of course, but there weren't all that many out there yet), and Greg installed it for me personally, working in his driveway in Riverside.  He aligned the front end right there, using a tape measure and crescent wrench.  That alignment stayed perfect for the rest of the time I owned the truck (traded it September of 2014) . . . and I did smack the front end of that truck around a bit.