Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Coyote Flats Aug. 7-10  (Read 16612 times)

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
Re: Coyote Flats Aug. 7-10
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2020, 09:37:34 PM »
I have a propane fire pit also
I've almost got the green light to go.  I have a propane fire pit I will bring along.
Thanks Guys
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2020, 11:03:11 PM »
Bad news.  We are going to be in Inyo National Forest.  No campfires unless in the steel pit at an official campground.  Here is a link to the Fire Order:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd737727.pdf

That sucks.
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2020, 11:23:04 AM »
I have a propane fire pit as well if you would like to bring it Jay.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2020, 03:27:28 PM »
I have a 10# propane bottle that I'll try to squeeze into my rig, so that we have extra propane for the fire pits. I do also have a very small propane fire pit, but it doesn't get very hot and I am pretty sure I won't have room in the rig for it and the bottle.

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2020, 03:31:04 PM »
I have a propane fire pit as well if you would like to bring it Jay.
Cool Thanks

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2020, 03:32:19 PM »
As I'm not bringing wood I'll bring a Tank also

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »
I'm in.  I'll bring my pit and a big propane tank.  See you Friday.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2020, 07:39:24 AM »
I'm in.  I'll bring my pit and a big propane tank.  See you Friday.
Sweet

Jayrat

• FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2020, 04:07:16 PM »
I'll have my Ham on, so maybe we'll get Radio contact at one point on the road

richard310

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2020, 09:31:06 PM »
Enjoy fellas! Looking forward to some pics  :)
- Richard

2004 Xterra XE 4x4
Build Thread

Sage Bromax

• 4wd Pts: 15302
    • 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2020, 07:32:38 AM »
That trail was a lot more challenging than any of us anticipated.  It took about 2.5 hours to get to camp, with a couple of stops.  A word to the wise, don't air down C-load range tires.  We went through both of my spares on the Dominator to figure that out.  The rim pinched the sidewall and cut right through.  Fortunately, we had made it through the first set of crazy switchbacks when we lost the first tire, and were only a mile from camp when the second one went.  Otherwise, the trailer did great.  Camping at nearly 10k feet takes it out of you though.  Several in the group were feeling it more than the rest.  The spot we were at was in a little bowl of bristlecone pine, regular pines, and cottonwood trees.  We had deer roaming through the area and the weather was great.  It was crisp at night, and a bonfire would have helped.

I stayed in camp and just relaxed.  The drive up the mountain was a white-knuckler for me, towing the trailer, and I just needed time to chill.  Others went off exploring on Saturday and I'm sure there will be great pictures posted.  My son discovered that the side bars with steps on his Forerunner are not real rock sliders.  That which hangs down, gets smashed or ripped off!

We all left camp yesterday morning around 9:15 and were airing up at 10:30 just outside Bishop.  My sons and I stopped for pizza and calzone at The Pizza Factory in Lone Pine, so that put us about an hour behind everyone else.  We made it home to Lemon Grove a little after 6 p.m.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2020, 08:27:33 AM »
That campsite looks A-Mazing! I really wanted to go but after just getting home off the Rubicon I'm just coming out of hibernation. I'll be really interested to see the rest of the pics the other guys post. I'm sure I missed a good one.

The only question I have is how was Lone Pine Pizza? Hopefully they have upped their game. It used to be really good when I would go climb Mt. Whitney years ago but in recent years has slipped a lot in my opinion.
Isaiah 6:8

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »
The pizza was good.  The crust not too thick, but not the cardboard variety.  Sauce and toppings were good quantity.  Dylan and I split a medium pepperoni and mushroom, Andrew had a pepperoni and jalapeno, and Sean had a monstrous calzone.  Just wish we could have had a pitcher of beer, but we were hitting the road.
“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2020, 04:17:55 PM »
Tony, that trailer is next level!  How long does it take to set up? 

Sage Bromax

• 2015 Pro-4XM6 Silver
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2020, 04:22:34 PM »
Tony, that trailer is next level!  How long does it take to set up?
To level it, open the top, put in the support poles for the awning - less than half an hour.
To completely enclose the room and set up the en suite bathroom, another half hour.

Except at nearly 10,000 feet, when you need to sit down every few minutes to catch your breath.