Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Dynamat... worth it?  (Read 3031 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Dynamat... worth it?
« on: July 15, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »
Long story short, I had to pull my headliner out yesterday for a separate project. While it is out, I am tempted to order some dynamat and slap it all over the roof. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this to their X and if it made a difference in road noise, etc. For the record, I am quite familiar with dynamat and have fully covered the inside of many previous vehicles I've owned. I am mostly wondering if it makes much of a difference in the Xterra to do JUST the roof, as I wouldn't be pulling door panels off or pulling carpet out to install it everywhere. Is it worth the time and money to do just the roof?

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Dynamat... worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 05:29:51 PM »
I've never felt the inside of our Xterra's was very loud in the first place. I would think the cost might outweigh the result. If you do it post up some pics and a review.
Isaiah 6:8

Jayrat

• 4wd Pts: -668
  • FLBLFY
    • 2013 X
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 06:49:07 PM »
I read on AAV that the heat in the summer will make it peel off the roof
on the doors and body are ok,
but the roof I guess is no good
You can pick your nose & you can pick your friends,   But you can't wipe your friends under the couch

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
Never used DynaMat, but I bought a coupe of rolls of Fatmat insulation for my sons Cherokee, It worked great.  I have 1 roll left that we are putting in his 240SX t kill the road noise.  It was also half the price.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:26:51 PM »
Doing the roof will only help with wind noise from the roof rack, and you run the risk of it falling off like jay said.  Most professionals will do CLD tiles for mass loading and then fill the rest of the space between the roof and headliner with acoustic thinsulate or denim insulation with foil backing for heat reflection.  Loading the dead space with insulation prevents the tiles from falling and its lightweight.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 10:58:20 AM »
Try this:

Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 11:26:40 AM »
Well look at you with your new found mad computer skills!
Isaiah 6:8

beedee

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 01:07:10 PM »
Maybe just line the headliner with more patches? :)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 09:25:45 AM »
Maybe just line the headliner with more patches? :)

Best idea ever. :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to forego the sound deadening installation. I figured it was a good opportunity while the headliner is out, but it sounds like a) it's not worth it because it won't make a dramatic difference (as others have noted, the noise isn't terrible in our rides anyway), and b) falling off the roof = bad news. One more thing I considered is the load capability of the roof, and the handling dynamics of having weight up high. Coating the roof in dynamat will mean 65 to 90 lbs of additional weight up top, which reduces the amount I can/should load onto the roof rack, and would also make the car handle like I always have stuff strapped to the roof (minus the wind resistance, of course).

For the record, there are a few small pieces of asphalt based sound deadener already up there from the factory. Probably just to prevent the roof panel from rattling too badly in the wind. They were kind of falling down already. I pushed them back up into place using a roller, but it's worth noting because my rig is only 8 years old and is garaged at home. Just makes me wonder how many 12 or 13 year old Xterras that sit in the sun (in places like Arizona or the So Cal deserts) just have this stuff lying on top of their headliners now.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 02:40:45 PM »
Try this:

Did Randy get some new inter web skills?