Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Replacement Stereo Reccomendations  (Read 6986 times)

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
Replacement Stereo Reccomendations
« on: June 28, 2015, 09:41:37 PM »
Just a minor thing: my stereo, specifically the CD player, is about calling it quits in my 2002 1st Gen. For those who have changed their stereos from stock, what do you have, and what recommendations would you make for getting something close to stock? Something with minimal bells and whistles, simple but sturdy. Thanks!

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Replacement Stereo Reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:44 AM »
To be honest Alex, there really is no such thing as "close to stock" when it comes to radios. It's either OEM, or Aftermarket which will be very different than OEM (in terms of both looks and functionality).

If you prefer to keep the look and feel of OEM, a quick eBay search has reveals a bunch of 1st generation Xterra and Frontier radios in the $160 range. Some are even the 6 disc in-dash unit for that price. I even saw a couple of very basic single disc OEM units going for about $90.

If you go aftermarket, just understand that all aftermarket radios will require at least a wiring harness and possibly a dash kit. The good news is, these items are very inexpensive online at places such as Amazon or eBay. Stereo shops will charge you an arm and a leg for them, so I'd stay away from Best Buy and the mom and pop shops for those accessories. The installation of an aftermarket radio will actually be very quick and easy with these accessories.

Personally, I'd recommend that you use the opportunity to upgrade to an aftermarket radio with Bluetooth. It's a game changer in terms of taking phone calls while you're driving, and streaming music from your phone. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Take a look at the Sony MEXN5100BT (link at the bottom of this post). It features Pandora control, USB input, Siri Eyes Free (for apple iOS products), and is really easy to use and sounds good. With the USB input, you can even put a bunch of MP3 or other music files onto a tiny USB flash drive and leave it plugged in to the face plate all the time. It'll play them right off of the stick. It retails for $129.99 but I can buy it with my employee discount for you, which would make it $97.49 plus tax. Looks like we could get the necessary installation accessories for under $20 as well.

If you want to go that route, let me know. I can install it in my driveway for you in about 40 minutes, and remember that I'm just down the road in Murrieta. :)

Radio: https://store.sony.com/receiver-w-bluetooth-nfc-app-remote-zid27-MEXN5100BT/cat-27-catid-all-car-stereo-receivers;pgid=vq1GmP9GBypSRpHag3jvgekR0000FVwqPpqK?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dmexn5100bt
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 09:41:56 AM by JFanaselle »

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »
To be honest Alex, there really is no such thing as "close to stock" when it comes to radios. It's either OEM, or Aftermarket which will be very different than OEM (in terms of both looks and functionality).

If you prefer to keep the look and feel of OEM, a quick eBay search has reveals a bunch of 1st generation Xterra and Frontier radios in the $160 range. Some are even the 6 disc in-dash unit for that price. I even saw a couple of very basic single disc OEM units going for about $90.

If you go aftermarket, just understand that all aftermarket radios will require at least a wiring harness and possibly a dash kit. The good news is, these items are very inexpensive online at places such as Amazon or eBay. Stereo shops will charge you an arm and a leg for them, so I'd stay away from Best Buy and the mom and pop shops for those accessories. The installation of an aftermarket radio will actually be very quick and easy with these accessories.

Personally, I'd recommend that you use the opportunity to upgrade to an aftermarket radio with Bluetooth. It's a game changer in terms of taking phone calls while you're driving, and streaming music from your phone. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it. Take a look at the Sony MEXN5100BT (link at the bottom of this post). It features Pandora control, USB input, Siri Eyes Free (for apple iOS products), and is really easy to use and sounds good. With the USB input, you can even put a bunch of MP3 or other music files onto a tiny USB flash drive and leave it plugged in to the face plate all the time. It'll play them right off of the stick. It retails for $129.99 but I can buy it with my employee discount for you, which would make it $97.49 plus tax. Looks like we could get the necessary installation accessories for under $20 as well.

If you want to go that route, let me know. I can install it in my driveway for you in about 40 minutes, and remember that I'm just down the road in Murrieta. :)

Radio: https://store.sony.com/receiver-w-bluetooth-nfc-app-remote-zid27-MEXN5100BT/cat-27-catid-all-car-stereo-receivers;pgid=vq1GmP9GBypSRpHag3jvgekR0000FVwqPpqK?_t=pfm%3Dsearch%26SearchTerm%3Dmexn5100bt

Dang Joe!  That's a hell of an offer!!!!  Making SCCX look good and all!!!!

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:50:50 AM »
Gotta pay it forward!  ;D I've gotten ton's of help from this "club," it's the least I can do.

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:57:39 AM »
Yea, I'm thinking group buy
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:11:13 AM »
I'll gladly extend the same offer to any other SCCXers who would like to participate  8)

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
I'll gladly extend the same offer to any other SCCXers who would like to participate  8)

Oh Man!  This is so tempting! 
I have stock BlueTooth in my 2009 and it's a PIA!!

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 03:18:33 PM »
Unfortunately, swapping out an "upgraded" factory system (with Bluetooth, external amplifiers/subwoofer, etc) is a PITA. It's not quite as simple as swapping over an S or X trim level radio or a 1st gen radio. Basically, unless you want to invest lots of money in "integration adaptors" that work sketchy at best, or invest a good deal of man hours into running new wires directly to speakers, you're stuck with your factory system. I'm sure some people have experience with swapping out the upgraded systems and might be able to tell you it's easier than I think, but it's just an area where I have no expertise. Sorry. :(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 03:20:45 PM by JFanaselle »

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 03:57:52 PM »
Unfortunately, swapping out an "upgraded" factory system (with Bluetooth, external amplifiers/subwoofer, etc) is a PITA. It's not quite as simple as swapping over an S or X trim level radio or a 1st gen radio. Basically, unless you want to invest lots of money in "integration adaptors" that work sketchy at best, or invest a good deal of man hours into running new wires directly to speakers, you're stuck with your factory system. I'm sure some people have experience with swapping out the upgraded systems and might be able to tell you it's easier than I think, but it's just an area where I have no expertise. Sorry. :(

Poop.  Good to know, but poop........  :(

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
actually the stock Rockford fosgate system is pretty easy to replace the stock headunit.  ive replaced mine for a pioneer and still uses the stock RF amp, speakers and subwoofer.  the only modification needed to the stock system is to bypass the factory bluetooth module thats located under the passenger seat so that the phone buttons on the steering wheel which normally are intercepted by the factory bluetooth module, pass onto the aftermarket radio allowing full control of the aftermarket system. you also get  the added advantage of placing the aftermarket bluetooth microphone in a better spot than the OEM microphone in the overhead console, which seems is better placed for people in the rear seat having a phone conversation than the driver.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:20:43 PM by knightrider »
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 05:34:26 PM »
actually the stock Rockford fosgate system is pretty easy to replace the stock headunit.  ive replaced mine for a pioneer and still uses the stock RF amp, speakers and subwoofer.  the only modification needed to the stock system is to bypass the factory bluetooth module thats located under the passenger seat so that the phone buttons on the steering wheel which normally are intercepted by the factory bluetooth module, pass onto the aftermarket radio allowing full control of the aftermarket system. you also get  the added advantage of placing the aftermarket bluetooth microphone in a better spot than the OEM microphone in the overhead console, which seems is better placed for people in the rear seat having a phone conversation than the driver.

This is awesome, Thank you!  The stock Rockford Fosgate system is ok, but I HATE the Bluetooth! Might have to look into this.....

And JFanaselle,  thank you for offering to help stock rigs on this forum.  Your generosity is contagious!  ;D

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 07:04:30 PM »
Crutchfield is a good resource for fit kits, harness adapters with wiring diagrams are included free if you purchase a head unit from them, sometimes that's worth it, sometimes their prices are much higher making the free accessories not worth it. 

Sent from my victara using Tapatalk
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 08:41:17 PM »
Joe that would be awesome! I was planning on wiring up Bluetooth into the stock unit with a self-made wiring harness, but I think just getting a new unit and harness will be a lot more straightforward and effective. I sent you a PM. :)

And JFanaselle,  thank you for offering to help stock rigs on this forum.
Rigs on here don't stay stock for long. ;D

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 10:55:09 PM »
 Jenerous Joe and Jenius Jordan;  You guys are awesome!  I would like to get in on the Sony GB for my '07 Off Road single disc POS.
You're welcome to make it a Mod Day a Duff's garage if it's easier for any reason Joe.  Thanks
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:01:10 PM »
I just clicked your Sony link and read the specs.  It's all Greek to me :o  I may be too old to operate this this thing :-[
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO