Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Rear Tow hitch  (Read 3097 times)

richie

• 4wd Pts: 1
    • 07 Xterra
Rear Tow hitch
« on: September 02, 2017, 07:59:31 PM »
Hello SCCX

Im in need of a Tow hitch badly.

I do alot of biking, and i was used to throwing my bikes in the back of the xterra. However, as some of you may know im welding up a rear rack right now. I plan to leave it in the truck semi-permanently. (up until i buy myself a new fridge.)

The tow hitch will only be used for carrying 2 bikes. The issue im having is, I hate the look of the round tube tow hitch.

I was toying with the idea of cutting a hole in my bumper and welding in a toe hitch to the oem bumper and its cross beam, but i realized the spare was in the way, and the license plate.

Is my only other option just getting a rear bumper? Im interested in getting a Hard core Weld up kit.

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
Re: Rear Tow hitch
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 10:20:41 PM »
I got the hardcore mainly so I could mount a bike rack to the 2" receiver.  Works great.I think saw someone on thenewx who modded his oem like you've mentioned. I'll try to find it, but pics may have been lost in the photobucket ordeal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:25:17 PM by fourxfunk »

richie

• 07 Xterra
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 10:24:07 PM »
Im thinking of just plasma cutting my own hardcore style bumper out. It should only cost me like $80 in material.

fourxfunk

• 4wd Pts: 14
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 10:36:16 PM »
Here it is, with pics http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=221537

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:36:26 AM »
If you're just looking for a quick and easy solution for now, the Curt hitch on Amazon is about the cheapest you can find. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13183-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B000765DI6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504546395&sr=8-4&keywords=curt+hitch+nissan+xterra

They're $127 with free Prime shipping if you subscribe to Prime. It's important to note that this is JUST the hitch - no wiring or ball for the receiver. But it will accomplish your need to mount a bike rack, and will add a rear recovery point. There is a kit for about $180 that includes the wiring package and a ball, if you're also looking to tow. If you decide to buy a bumper later on down the road (or build one, as you mentioned), you can always pull your hitch off and sell it for $75 or so locally. They usually go pretty quick on Craigslist or here on the forums.

GreenAcres

• 4wd Pts: 9
    • 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »
If you're just looking for a quick and easy solution for now, the Curt hitch on Amazon is about the cheapest you can find. https://www.amazon.com/CURT-13183-Class-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B000765DI6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504546395&sr=8-4&keywords=curt+hitch+nissan+xterra

They're $127 with free Prime shipping if you subscribe to Prime. It's important to note that this is JUST the hitch - no wiring or ball for the receiver. But it will accomplish your need to mount a bike rack, and will add a rear recovery point. There is a kit for about $180 that includes the wiring package and a ball, if you're also looking to tow. If you decide to buy a bumper later on down the road (or build one, as you mentioned), you can always pull your hitch off and sell it for $75 or so locally. They usually go pretty quick on Craigslist or here on the forums.

I know you said you didn't want a "round tube" hitch, which is what is shown above, but if you do decide to go this route I've got a used one I'll sell. Joe says they go for $75. I'll be happy with $50.

richie

• 07 Xterra
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 07:55:52 PM »
I have break before i start my last quarter of engineering. I think ill be able to get the bumper water jetted out and welded before i start class. I think im just going to make a plain hardcore or maxterra styled rear bumper.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
I got a factory hitch with hardware if you want it.

richie

• 07 Xterra
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 09:56:32 PM »
I got a factory hitch with hardware if you want it.

I sent you a pm