Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Trail welder  (Read 3677 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Trail welder
« on: November 26, 2021, 12:48:12 PM »
Any of you guys seen this: https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/bunweld.html I think it could solve a lot of issues instead of constantly having to rig something up. At $300 it is really competitively priced and won't take up much room. I like it better than the units that run off your alternator as you don't have to get a high output unit and figure out how and where to mount the welding unit. This with a little bar stock or a few tabs might well be on my to get list.
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Re: Trail welder
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 10:54:13 AM »
Interesting little setup. I searched some YouTube videos, and it looks like it puts off some pretty good heat.

It doesn't require the high output alternator, but it does need two batteries (24 volts). Looks like the kit comes with the cables to wire two 12V batteries in series with one another. This would be a good setup if you run dual batteries or if you're wheeling with other rigs and can pull a couple of batteries out of them. I have to wonder how much use you can get before the batteries need to charge back up, but it does seem like it could get you out of a jam (think: CHUSA in Death Valley).

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Trail welder
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2021, 07:53:09 PM »
It seems Santa was very good to me this year but he somehow didn't get word I was interested in one of these. I did what any red blooded American would do and ordered it for myself. Hopefully in the next week there will be a portable welder accompanying us on the runs...
Isaiah 6:8