Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Snow Wheeling Burns Canyon - Sunday, 1/31/21  (Read 4476 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Snow Wheeling Burns Canyon - Sunday, 1/31/21
« on: January 30, 2021, 11:38:47 AM »
The wife and son and I are looking to go wheel around a little in the snow tomorrow. I'm planning to head up Burns Canyon (2N02) from the bottom (starting in Pioneertown). We'll head a ways up the mountain, but won't go all the way into Big Bear, because it's going to be very crowded and full of stupid people. We'll probably spend a few hours romping around the higher elevations of the trail, and might even spend a little time exploring around the Viscera Springs area (the road that goes down toward Rattlesnake Canyon from Burns Canyon). Again, looking to avoid the Big Bear area, so we'll turn around and come back down Burns Canyon through Pioneertown to head home.

If anyone is interested in tagging along, let me know and we'll designate a meet spot somewhere in Yucca Valley. The meet time will be 9:00 am, so that we can be off the trail in the early afternoon and get home in time for dinner. Bring a lunch, as we'll probably stop somewhere along the trail to eat. If it's a total bust and we're off the mountain sooner, we might be able to grab lunch at Pappy and Harriet's in Pioneertown, or at any of the numerous eateries in Yucca Valley. But it's still best to pack a lunch, just in case.

Requirements: good attitude/patience, punctuality (be on time, please), a good-working rig with 4 wheel drive and decent tires, and at least one recovery point on the front and one on the rear (in case anyone gets stuck in the snow). Not sure what condition the road will be in, but I'm sure there are tons of people up there driving around on it today. Hope you can make it out!

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re: Snow Wheeling Burns Canyon - Sunday, 1/31/21
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 09:18:42 PM »
I may tag along. 
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 09:26:47 PM »
Dooooo it. It will be a super low key fun day. I'll send you a message. We can just meet up around here and caravan out that way together.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 08:57:19 AM »
Did you guys end up going out there?
Isaiah 6:8

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 09:03:08 AM »
Damn! Wouldn't you know, the one day I don't look at the site I missed out on another fun trip.  And here I am almost healed from the last excursion. :D
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 10:55:38 AM »
Damn! Wouldn't you know, the one day I don't look at the site I missed out on another fun trip.  And here I am almost healed from the last excursion. :D

haha! Well at least if you had fallen on this trip, you would have landed in soft snow or mud :D

Did you guys end up going out there?

knightrider ended up with a last minute work obligation and couldn't make it. So just the Mrs. and I headed up there with Gavin and his puppy. We hit the dirt right about 9:00 am in hopes of beating the expected crowds, and it paid off big time. There was snow on the ground as soon as we passed Pioneertown (started at about the 4,500 foot mark), but it was patchy and slushy. We ended up having to go further up the mountain than I expected, but it was worth it, as we were treated to very deep and soft snow beginning at about the 6,000 foot mark. We took 2N01 toward round valley, and found a great spot to set up and play. Not a soul around us, as no one wanted to climb that far up the mountain and/or come as far back off of 2N02 as we did. It was so amazingly peaceful.

Gavin's puppy (Skye) absolutely loves the snow, and she couldn't stop chasing him down the hills with each run of his sled. We played for a few hours and ate our lunch, then decided to head back down the mountain. This is when we realized just how good of an idea it was to get on the road as early as we did. There were about 30 or so vehicles gathered around the area of the Rose Mine, with probably about a hundred people playing in the snow. We crept through the madness and then had to yield to no less than 70 vehicle that were coming up the mountain still. It was already 1:00 pm, and I couldn't help but wonder how many of those folks were going to stay up on the mountain too late into the evening and have to deal with crazy ice trying to get back down. On our way back down, the roads had turned to a muddy mess from all of the vehicles that came up after us.

I aired back up at the hardball, and we decided to stop in Pioneertown and walk around for a bit. There was a surprising amount of activity in the town, but it was mostly centered around Pappy and Harriet's restaurant. We did get a chance to snap a photo of the Deputy Mayor (the white goat with the hat on). It was explained to us that the Deputy Mayor is an appointed position, and that this particular goat had been appointed as Deputy by the mayor himself. It was then further explained to us that the Mayor is actually a cactus.  ??? Yeah, there's some weird people in Pioneertown.  lol

The truck got really muddy on the way back down and now it's all dried and crusted over. Not looking forward to cleaning all of that off, but it was still an amazing day!

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »
Here are some photos from the day

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2021, 11:02:04 AM »
Good deal, I'm glad you guys were able to get out there for some quality time together!!! Those pictures were awesome, your son and the pup really seemed to be having the time of their lives. Thank for the write up!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 11:03:48 AM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2021, 11:02:39 AM »

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2021, 11:04:12 AM »

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2021, 02:40:31 PM »
Awesome pics joe. It just took a little snow to get the kid on the trail huh. ;)
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2021, 12:22:30 PM »
Awesome pics joe. It just took a little snow to get the kid on the trail huh. ;)

He never turns down an opportunity to play in the snow :D