Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 160k miles....  (Read 5535 times)

holymuchos

160k miles....
« on: May 21, 2009, 09:43:48 AM »
So my 2001 X has just about 160k miles (lots of driving the past few years). Still runs well, regular oil changes, replaced timing belt/water pump, etc. Thing is, this was my daily driver for years, but now that I'm getting a commuter car for work, the X will be on permanent FUN duty.

Do you guys think this is too many miles to start building up the X? Should I trade in for one that has about half the mileage? Not sure how many miles one can squeeze out of these suv's.

fleury123

• 4wd Pts: 3
Re: 160k miles....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »
I have 110K on my X I don't not have any intention of getting rid of it. Granted I cant Wheel like most of the members due to my profession and being in School. But this is a tough truck know for reliability.  I admit I see the Rubicon and get envious at times. But I expect to get over 250K before I have to rebuild or Swap out an engine. I think Brina is the only one Who swapped an Engine but I don't know if it is the blackhawk or the other X.

holymuchos

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »
If you're planning on 250k then maybe I shouldn't feel so bad, as that's a WAAAAYS away ;D

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 11:59:29 AM »
I intend to keep mine as long as possible too. As far as building up your X... it's never too late. I have parts laying around waiting to be installed as soon as I deal with the timing belt. Besides, even if you start investing and upgrading your X, if you really like it so much and decide to get rid of it in the 'far' future, you can always get a newer 2004 X and transfer the parts over.
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

holymuchos

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 12:03:08 PM »
... if you really like it so much and decide to get rid of it in the 'far' future, you can always get a newer 2004 X and transfer the parts over.

Didn't really think of it this way, but now that I do, I can see just reusing armor, electronics, tires, etc etc etc. Pretty cool :)

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
I don't think it's too much.  Depends, I guess, on how willing you are to take on larger repairs as time goes on.  Xtoolbox has more than that on his, I'm rolling past 120k with no worries, Rachel is over 160k and just drove to Moab to wheel, etc.

It's a good strong platform.  Maintenance is key as is giving things the once-over more often. 

Now if you found an low mileage 04 that you liked better than your X, that's one thing.  I would think it perfectly reasonable, now knowing that the X will be your play rig of choice, to want to start with the newest, lowest mileage example.  Especially if you have things you would change about your X now that you've had it a while (e.g., color, better seats, 5 sp. vs. auto, etc.).  For example, if I had to do it all over again I, most likely, wouldn't have gotten the SC model and wouldv'e opted for a 5 speed.

If you're the type that likes to stay in tune with your rig and are happy with it, I say go for it.

I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.