Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego  (Read 11010 times)

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Anza Borrego
« on: March 02, 2019, 06:11:29 PM »
  I just got off the phone with Scuba Dale and we were trip scheming. We talked about going down into the Anza valley early in the day on a Thursday and each day going into areas some/most of us have not seen. We can do a few overnights and head back on Saturday so guys can catch their breath on Sunday before having to head back to work. I know we have some real experts like Frank B who really know that entire valley. Dale thought about setting up a base camp and I thought about picking up camp each day for a new one somewhere out there. I don't know that we have any certain agenda that needs to be met and it can be very fluid if everyone likes but I think this could be a really good time out there.
Isaiah 6:8

FBinSD

• 4wd Pts: 17
Re: Anza Borrego
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 08:32:02 AM »
I'd been down to meet you all out there Saturday morning for the day.  I dont think I can get off Thursday and Friday this week.
2012 Frontier pro4x

Celt

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »
I'd been down to meet you all out there Saturday morning for the day.  I dont think I can get off Thursday and Friday this week.

Its not this week as its still in the planning phase. Hopefully before the end of March if that gives you more time

G.B.H.

• 4wd Pts: -21
    • 08 xterra se
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 10:34:48 AM »
I would love to be a part of this. I am off every other Thursday -Wednesday. If you pick a week when I'm off I am more than likely in. A a suggestion as to where, I would love to go to the Rockhouse Canyon Clark Dry lake area. Never been. It's on my list. It's also one of the least visited areas and we are nearing the time of year for the wildflower traffic jams. Just read that about two weeks from now should be a prime time to visit. If you have been and it's not very interesting, I can save it for one of my solo exploration trips.
G.B.H.

Celt

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 03:23:55 PM »
I think if we can get 2 or 3 of us together for this it's easily doable. I don't believe I've been to the Rockhouse Canyon Clark Dry lake area. At this point anything is open. Even going down there and driving while exploring areas where folks have not been once we get there can be a lot of fun.

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 07:19:33 PM »
We went out to Anza Borrego today with some friends to the wildflowers. No off-road this trip though.  There is a huge super bloom of sand verbena (with a few lupine and some white flowers thrown in) up on the north side of S-22 just a bit east of Clark Dry Lake.  There were also a lot of people there.  The parking area on the side of the road was jammed.  This spot is mentioned in the Park's wildflower report.  I'll post some pictures later.

The road up to Clark Dry Lake / Rockhouse Canyon is nice.  You can go at least 10 miles up from S-22, perhaps more.  I don't recall it being very difficult at all, but it is rather scenic.   The usual group of land yachts is parked along the area between S-22 and the dry lake.  Hopefully none of them are actually driving on the dry lake bed.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 05:49:06 PM »
Just read a bit about Rockhouse. Yeah doesn’t seem like a difficult drive but sounds like some decent hiking and exploring areas and less traffic than other parts. I like that but as a group thing might be better to hit some of the more interesting drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
G.B.H.

Celt

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »
I would like to start narrowing down some dates for this. I'm not able to do this on the 28/29/30 but in between I'm good to go. If necessary this could run into April but it's going to start getting hot down there by then.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:28:09 AM »
28-29-30 is out for me as well. I'm good for the week before and the week after. 11-12-13 out. Week after good. Repeat until I get fired or quit my job. Barring birthdays and special occasions.
G.B.H.

Celt

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 07:25:10 AM »
 It's looking like everyone might be too busy this month. Let's shoot for a date next month that works. I'm open for Apr 11/12/13 or Apr 25/26/27. If we wait long than April I'm concerned it's going to start to get too hot to be enjoyable down there.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
Those dates knock me out. I guess I'll explore Rockhouse and do a little hiking on the 21st. If anyone wants to join in. Let me know.
G.B.H.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 05:54:04 PM »
I would say with the weather we have been having, I don't think it will be getting too hot in april for enjoyable weather.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 08:10:19 PM »
I would say with the weather we have been having, I don't think it will be getting too hot in april for enjoyable weather.

Hopefully not and I think you are most likely right. I'm just basing my thoughts off of the last couple years temperatures. Either way this should be a really fun trip. I know it may be difficult for most folks to attend due to it's a Thurs, Fri, Sat trip but hopefully we will get 3 or 4 going.

G.B.H.

• 08 xterra se
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2019, 09:25:18 AM »
Sorry to jump on your post but I have more solid plans than last time and am putting the invitation out. Leaving 22nd daytime. Down Oriflamme over to Grapevine canyon and up Jaspar (We went up it about a month ago and it was very muddy and washed out. Couldn't complete it due to time running out and had to get home. Want to get past where my friend got stuck) Into Borrego Springs. Then off to Coyote Canyon assuming the water crossings are not to deep. Camp. Next day hike to the Psychedelic eye. It's about a 3 mile hike (It's called Goat Canyon I think) Then find something fun and a bit of a challenge not sure what yet on the way out. I will be doing this with my neighbor who drives a Tundra (I don't hold it against him). Again, anyone who would like to join us for part or all, Let me know.
G.B.H.

Syberia

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2005 Off Road
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »
The wife and I were going to be in Anza Borrego the 22nd, 23rd, and 24th anyway, because she just has to see the damn flowers!