Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Air Compressors  (Read 14761 times)

StarGazer

• 4wd Pts: 1
Air Compressors
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:50:36 PM »
Just curious as to what kind of air compressors you all are using for airing back up while wheeling.  Any recommendations for a noobie? 

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
Re: Air Compressors
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »
I have a compressor that's the equivalent of this: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=66399
I think I got it at 4 Wheel Parts for about $50-60 three years ago. Works fine, I've had to upgrade the hose, chuck, fuse and clamps so I guess maybe it's not that great. It pumps good, inflates my tires from 18 to 40 in about 15min.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:21:45 PM »
I've got the Viair 90p which pumped up 12 tires on Sunday in about 45 minutes. $60
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »
I'm running a Viair constant duty on board air system now, but before that I had a regular compressor from Pep Boys.  Have used two from there, one's red the other yellow, and they average around $50-$60.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 08:45:02 PM »
I've had the Viair 400P for a few years now. It works well, but it was somewhat more expensive.  This price on this link seems better than what I paid at Off Road Warehouse actually.

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/viair-400p-portable-air-compressor-p-2328.html

I like having backups, especially if I'm out alone, so I've also got one of those little red Tsunami types that they sold at Costco for about $50. It seems like it puts out the same volume of air as the Viair, at 1/4 the price, and as worked well too. It does have some parts made of plastic that are metal on the Viair.  Looks like they've gone up to $80, and I've not noticed them at Costco lately either.  Some of the 2nd Gen X owners have mounted these under their passenger seats, but I wonder if it would not overheat. I think Oz actually mounted one inside his front bumper recently.

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-MF-1050-Portable-Compressor/dp/B000L9AD2U

If you really want to get serious, check out Bobby's set up, which is a Viair 400 (or 440 not sure) model that is designed to be permanently mounted, stuck under his rear bumper with a tank and quick detachable hose set up. It's pretty slick.

Oz

• 4wd Pts: 14
  • Cybernetic organism; living tissue over metal
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:02:11 PM »
I did this about a month ago:

OBA For Cheap (On Board Air); I've wanted to do this for a while. First I picked up this portable compressor about 2 years ago. Tsunami; a really cheap one from The Boys at Pep for less than $50 bucks. Not the greatest by any means but works like a champ:

First carefully remove the front plastic grill by carefully removing the (4) plastic clips:

Inside I found a really great mounting spot. There's a structural plate on the inside of a SWs bumper. You can kind of see it here: (arrow is pointing to it)

Here's another view of the mounting location:

I drilling 4 holes that lined up with the base plate holes of the Tsunami. You'll have to remove the rubber feet that were inside those holes. Put the compressor in there and mark the holes for drilling. Make sure the compressor in not too close to any wires or hoses that could cause future probs by any rubbing. Remove the compressor then drill your holes.

Next tap the hole that feeds the air line. Tap it for a 1/4" brass air nipple (Note: the threads measure like 5/8"). You'll have to remove the quick disconnect fitting first obviously that came with the compressor (its the cheap, chrome crappy one). Yellow arrow in the picture shows which hole it is. (forgive the 'already installed' photos - I did take step-by-step photos while i was during this but my flash card failed and I had to do these after the fact)

After tapping that hole install the compressor with your favorite fastener.

In this picture purchase these (3) items: (1), a 1/4" brass nipple, (2) a 1/4" brass elbow, and (3) some kind of airline that will have 1/4" brass fitting on both ends. I opted for a teflon stainless steel braided line. Mine was 17" long and cost $26 (you dont have to go for this expensive of an option - you could use a piece of an old airline with 1/4" barbed ends and hoseclamps. I always like to use teflon tape when doing any kind of fitting like these.

Here's what it looks like so far:

On the other end I put a quick disconnect in case I need to dismount the bumper I can disconnect the airline easily.

Using a washer and a 1/4" brass coupler I mounted a quick disconnect male fitting here:

On the back side of this is another quick disconnect male fitting, this is where the stainless hose connects to.

Inside view installed:

After that you can just wire the compressor directly to the battery. The Tsunami has an inline fuse in the power wire. Switching it on/off is easily done by reaching into the square access holes in the SWs bumper.

Here's what it looks like in operation:

That should be it!  Now say goodbye to the crappy storage bag and the one dimensional airline:

It works GREAT - but I now want to change the compressor to this one (are ya listening Santa?)  200 psi at 100% duty cycle

http://air-zenith.com/productnew.asp

StarGazer

• 4wd Pts: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:21:59 PM »
Thanks for the great info guys!  Oz, that is very impressive!  I didn't realize people were mounting these things like that.  Now I'm getting ideas.     :)

chad

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 09:58:58 AM »
I have a simple air compessor i got ar Pep-Boys for about $45 its a bit smaller than the one OZ has.
Hey don't get me wrong or anything, I have been in the outdoors but... is it always this dusty????

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
I got one a little bigger than the one Oz has from Pep Boys for $65, the Tsunami MF-1060.  Inflates all my 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R's in under 10 min. for all four tires.  I love it.  Comes with a nice storage case that someone in the picture doesn't seem to like (the birdie!).

Although Oz just gave me a new future project to work on.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:58:25 AM by superslidestyle »
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD