Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Camp Shower  (Read 19019 times)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Camp Shower
« on: January 19, 2015, 12:00:00 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts on staying clean while camping?  (open door to flaming/threadjacks here...)

Looking at some of the solar options, I see 5 gallon/10 gallon options, as well as some nice privacy enclosures.

We are heading to Zion this year for a 10 day camp sesh, and with hiking and combined mountain biking will be looking for a little warm water washing.

Thoughts, experiences?
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
Re: Camp Shower
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:11:15 PM »
Ask Motorpig77 to post his onboard shower system. Man that thing is amazing. I have tossed around the idea of some of those solar showers myself. I have a couple of buddies that use them and they all have said they work out really nice and get plenty warm. Might want to get you a little wooden pallet or some such to stand on or the dirt and soap won't get completely washed off if you aren't wearing flip flops. For privacy just set up a trekking pole anchored with 550 or similar cord and a large tarp into a V-pattern in the direction of your campsite. Or you can just wear shorts if you don't want to put on a show for the locals.
Isaiah 6:8

chrishaynesusa

• thenewx
  • 4wd Pts: -35
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
I used this on the Death Valley and Rubicon trips and it worked great!!

« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 12:38:15 PM by chrishaynesusa »

Ruination Fan

• 4wd Pts: 12
    • 2004 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 06:37:50 PM »
Ever think about the Helton hot water set-ups?? It uses engine heat to heat up the water. All you have to provide is a water source (cooler of melted ice, pond, etc..).

http://cruiseroutfitters.com/helton.html

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 12:10:29 AM »
on an extended trip i have used the solar shower and free standing shower tent. works pretty well and gets plenty hot since we have no shortage of sun.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »
Solar shower set ups and a free standing tent/privacy privy are leading my search so far.

Looks like a quality 5 gallon solar shower is in the $15-20 range...with the tent between $35 and $100.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:43 AM »
As a matter of fact, I saw a combination privy/shower free standing unit for appro. $30.00 at Walmart the other day.
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 10:25:26 AM »
One gallon per person solar is plenty. Get the 5 gal. and fill it half full, it heats faster.  Curtain is nice if you are in a cold wind, otherwise your undies probably need a wash anyway ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:38 AM »
As a matter of fact, I saw a combination privy/shower free standing unit for appro. $30.00 at Walmart the other day.

i hate shopping at walmart but actually this was the only place ive found one that i thought would be able to hold the weight of a 5 gal shower bag because it wasnt made of 3mm fiberglass tent poles, it has metal poles.  Ozark Trail Shower Utility Shelter, very nice sturdy poles, has a vented roof and comes with a rain fly with stakes and guy lines.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 11:25:56 AM »
One gallon per person solar is plenty. Get the 5 gal. and fill it half full, it heats faster.  Curtain is nice if you are in a cold wind, otherwise your undies probably need a wash anyway ;)

Good stuff there...and you didn't say "ass"  ;D

Didn't you bring something to Mojave Road?  That was kinda my idea, but I also like Erik's suggestion on the floor to stand on so your kicks don't get all re-sanded whilst spritzing off.

i hate shopping at walmart but actually this was the only place ive found one that i thought would be able to hold the weight of a 5 gal shower bag because it wasnt made of 3mm fiberglass tent poles, it has metal poles.  Ozark Trail Shower Utility Shelter, very nice sturdy poles, has a vented roof and comes with a rain fly with stakes and guy lines.

Looks like Wal Mart is no longer offering the Ozark Trail...sooooo, perusing the Cabela's site now.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:45:14 AM by GhostX »
KD6DCI

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
Found this:

Camping World:  Shower floor

Terry...which Wal Mart did you see the Ozark Trail enclosure in, Orange County?
KD6DCI

Motorpig77

• 4wd Pts: 31
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »
I took some pvc pipe from Lowe's, drilled a few holes to add some standard air line connectors, a filler cap, and a Schrader valve for water pressure, mounted it to the top of my roof rack for a solar shower, holds about three gallons! Took a few brass fittings from Lowe's and made a stepdown connector that a standard garden hose nozzle fits on... Works great! I also have a privacy shower tent I picked up on a road trip on the east coast... Happy to send/post pics to anyone interested.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:47:13 AM by Motorpig77 »

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »
Found this:

Camping World:  Shower floor

Terry...which Wal Mart did you see the Ozark Trail enclosure in, Orange County?

Yes as a matter of fact.   You can't find them?
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

Ruination Fan

• 4wd Pts: 12
    • 2004 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 05:31:02 PM »
I'd be interested to see this contraption

I took some pvc pipe from Lowe's, drilled a few holes to add some standard air line connectors, a filler cap, and a Schrader valve for water pressure, mounted it to the top of my roof rack for a solar shower, holds about three gallons! Took a few brass fittings from Lowe's and made a stepdown connector that a standard garden hose nozzle fits on... Works great! I also have a privacy shower tent I picked up on a road trip on the east coast... Happy to send/post pics to anyone interested.

Motorpig77

• 4wd Pts: 31
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 05:42:04 PM »
I'll take some good pics in the morning and post them here