Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Pepe, the Little Mule  (Read 47918 times)

PainRoller

• 4wd Pts: 46
  • DILLIGAF
    • 2009 Bad Ass Xterra - Rig Name: PEPE
Re: Pepe, the Little Mule
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2018, 09:00:09 AM »
WOW ,that's scary
I really need to get under Lucy.

Looks good Guys

I'm scared to take mine off!

Plus, it's a huge PITA.  Out of sight, out of mind?!?!?!  (I should really take them off, lol)

Not gonna lie, it was a PITA.  But really interesting to see the damage on them.  These skid plates have been worth their weight in gold.  I've considered them cheap insurance to make sure we get off the trail in working order.

If I took mine off I would probably need Thor's hammer and at least 4 or 5 guys our size to pound them back into shape so I could hopefully get them back on.

They came off pretty ugly - they are already heavy on their own, but with the extra weight of the mud...... pretty sure the neighbors heard....

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
New Cargo Solutions...Stream of Thought
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »
So as some of you know, we now have our pup with us on trips.  This has created unexpected cargo issues (since she needs space to travel safely and comfortably).

I'm using this as an opportunity to tell y'all what our thought process is for dealing with space issues and seeing if you have some clever ideas that might help ass-well.

Issue #1:  We can no longer carry our water in 2 - 7 gallon containers.  These were on the rear passenger seat and created a weight imbalance and possible injury to zee dog. (And one is leaking, so it's a good time to re-evaluate)).  We didn't want one large container (for multiple reasons).

Our solution: These WaterBricks 
Why? Stackable, able to redistribute weight around cargo area, able to have one readily available for use, make a wall out of them  ;)  .... (those Preppers have some good ideas....)

Issue # 2: We can no longer carry around our huge Pelican Cooler.  That is now the dog's seating area.  The Pelican is 35 lbs empty, so it's too heavy for top of vehicle when full. 

Our solution: 2 Soft shell containers - specifically these:
Day or Weekend Trips: ENGEL USA Cooler Bag Backpack (23 Quarts)   
Longer trips (4+ days): Engel Coolers HD30 100% Waterproof Soft-Sided Cooler Bag

Why? (Actually, Celt started me down this $$ rabbit trail with his new cooler, I blame him!  >:D )Compress as they empty, easier to squish into spots, still good after about 5 days, multiple solutions for different trip lengths. 

But really this video sold me on them......  ::) ::)

Issue #3 : Dog safety.  We tie most things down, especially heavy stuff.  But we don't want her roaming around the vehicle (during the day while traveling nor at night when sleeping - she likes to turn on the lights at night....) and we don't want anything to hit her in case of a roll-over.

Our Solution:  Soft netting cage - front, rear and side.  We purchased some cargo nets from Raingler to put up and create a barrier.  (I'll post pics when installed).

But we are also wondering if we should tie her in somehow (in case of rollover).

Also considering moving the recovery items to the roof.  One less Action packer in the cargo area.....  Thinking about getting one of these FR Wolf Packs

Feel free to chime in with your thoughts and solutions.  You guys are always creative!! O0

« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 05:33:01 PM by PainRoller »

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
Maybe one of those long tube water containers that I've seen mounted on the side rack?  I've seen them used as showers, but you could modify it as water storage.  If I remember correctly, they hold 5 gallons.  That would open up space for more gear/more room.

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2018, 05:34:18 PM »
Maybe one of those long tube water containers that I've seen mounted on the side rack?  I've seen them used as showers, but you could modify it as water storage.  If I remember correctly, they hold 5 gallons.  That would open up space for more gear/more room.

Side Racks? Pics please?  If on the roof, we've decided not to add extra weight due to RTT

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
Side Racks? Pics please?  If on the roof, we've decided not to add extra weight due to RTT

http://roadshower.com/

SCUBA_Dale

• 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2018, 05:37:17 PM »

And I forgot words....I meant side of the rack, not side rack.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2018, 06:57:53 PM »
They make harness that go into the seatbelt so that your dog is somewhat contained in a rollover.
https://www.kurgo.com/car-safety-harnesses/
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
I'm all about the water brick.....Were you able to check them out how I used them on the Mojave?
Isaiah 6:8

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2018, 08:35:03 PM »

Hmmmmm.....4 liters.... 1 gallon?  I understand what you are saying about setting something like this up.  But I think it would add too much weight to the roof.  And def couldn't have all our water on one side....

They make harness that go into the seatbelt so that your dog is somewhat contained in a rollover.
https://www.kurgo.com/car-safety-harnesses/

Thanks, I'll check them out.

I'm all about the water brick.....Were you able to check them out how I used them on the Mojave?

Dude!  I didn't know you rolled with WaterBricks!  Where do you store them? We are thinking about stacking them behind the back seat  -2 up, 2 across....

Celt

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2018, 09:47:21 PM »
Dude!  I didn't know you rolled with WaterBricks!  Where do you store them? We are thinking about stacking them behind the back seat  -2 up, 2 across....

I keep two in the X and store them along the passenger floor boards on both left and right sides. They fit perfectly with the seats folded down or up. In the Jeeps we stack them wherever is convenient, usually lashed down over the rear wheel wells. They have a ton of lash down options, stackable and are pretty rugged. I use the 3.5 gallon tanks and have a spigot (Highly recommended) which makes things much easier. When we get into camp I take one and shove it in between a tire and the wheel well and angle it slightly downward (Your clearance mileage may vary) where the top gets wedged securely holding it in place. A small bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap fits perfectly in the through hole for washing. We brought four of them for the Winter Mojave and came home with about 5.5 gallons for the three of us. The only potential issue I see is if you in below zero temps to keep them inside the X overnight to prevent freezing if they are left full. The lids are recessed so they won't easily get loosened or damaged and that carry handle makes them very easy to move around vs. a big bulky 5 gallon jug. Whoever came up with these is a genius.

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
I keep two in the X and store them along the passenger floor boards on both left and right sides. They fit perfectly with the seats folded down or up. In the Jeeps we stack them wherever is convenient, usually lashed down over the rear wheel wells. They have a ton of lash down options, stackable and are pretty rugged. I use the 3.5 gallon tanks and have a spigot (Highly recommended) which makes things much easier. When we get into camp I take one and shove it in between a tire and the wheel well and angle it slightly downward (Your clearance mileage may vary) where the top gets wedged securely holding it in place. A small bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap fits perfectly in the through hole for washing. We brought four of them for the Winter Mojave and came home with about 5.5 gallons for the three of us. The only potential issue I see is if you in below zero temps to keep them inside the X overnight to prevent freezing if they are left full. The lids are recessed so they won't easily get loosened or damaged and that carry handle makes them very easy to move around vs. a big bulky 5 gallon jug. Whoever came up with these is a genius.

Researched them online:  https://www.waterbrick.org/ 
it's interesting to see the backstory, what they are doing, and how they are being used around the world.
Celt, you've sold me on these!  Thanks  :D

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:41 PM »
Thx for that video. I have since added an Engel to my amazon amazon wish list.
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

PainRoller

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »
Thx for that video. I have since added an Engel to my amazon amazon wish list.

You're welcome!  Anything I can do to help you spend your money  >:D ;) >:D

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #103 on: February 14, 2018, 11:06:54 AM »
Researched them online:  https://www.waterbrick.org/ 
it's interesting to see the backstory, what they are doing, and how they are being used around the world.
Celt, you've sold me on these!  Thanks  :D

I think I might be sold, too.  I've got the big blue aquatainer from the Wal*Mart.  It's fine, but these are much more versatile.
Are they fairly robust?  I'm assuming the plastic doesn't feel too flimsy?

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Celt

« Reply #104 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:56 PM »
I think I might be sold, too.  I've got the big blue aquatainer from the Wal*Mart.  It's fine, but these are much more versatile.
Are they fairly robust?  I'm assuming the plastic doesn't feel too flimsy?

Steve, they are pretty tough and not flimsy at all. I'll have a few at the desert rendezvous if you want to check them out. You might need to hike out to the north 40 to find me though as I'll be with the rest of the anti-socials.