Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Time to saddle up... again!  (Read 5557 times)

Guy

• 4wd Pts: 1
Time to saddle up... again!
« on: February 01, 2013, 09:55:49 PM »
Some of you might remember me but I've attended a few runs over the years.  Having just completed a 10 year tour-of-duty with the Boy Scouts I suddenly find myself with a little more time on the weekends.  Hoping to reconnect and maybe head out to Anza Borrego soon.  There's this rock staircase I've yet to climb up Coyote Canyon... there's also a great primitive campground once you get up there.  Here's a shot of the last time I crossed Coyote Creek.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Good times!
I ain't as good as I once was... but I'm as good once as I ever was!

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
Re: Time to saddle up... again!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 02:04:18 PM »
Welcome back Guy.
That's a fun little trail but your picture has a lot more water and green than when I went.  We'll have to do it again.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:11:14 PM »
Welcome back.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »
Hi Guy!  Welcome back!
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52:57 PM »
Welcome back. I've seen you (and your truck) every now and then as I drive home from work. Nice to hear you may have some time to get back out with us.

By the way, from what I've heard (but not seen for myself), the Lower Coyote Canyon trail has been realigned to bypass the water.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »
Welcome back. I've seen you (and your truck) every now and then as I drive home from work. Nice to hear you may have some time to get back out with us.

By the way, from what I've heard (but not seen for myself), the Lower Coyote Canyon trail has been realigned to bypass the water.

Sadly, this is true.  The park rangers did some pollution analysis and diverted the route for less "impact."  Hope it works.

Welcome back Guy...I know it's short notice, but we are headed to Big Bear this weekend for some Adopt A Trail programming, and you are welcome to join.  Check out the thread in the Xcursion Planning area.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

David-X

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2012 Pro-4X
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2013, 11:07:37 PM »
We, my daughters and I, just went up Coyote Canyon yesterday.  It was our first time taking the X out like that (is that considered off-road?).  We did have to cross Coyote Creek twice but there wasn't a lot of water.  The tall rocky hills had me worried but putting the X in 4-Lo did the trick, I was really impressed with it.  It was a lot of fun.

David-X

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2012 Pro-4X
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2013, 11:10:44 PM »
Not as cool as your crossing but it was our first! ;D

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:08 AM »
  It was our first time taking the X out like that (is that considered off-road?).  We did have to cross Coyote Creek twice but there wasn't a lot of water.  The tall rocky hills had me worried but putting the X in 4-Lo did the trick, I was really impressed with it.  It was a lot of fun.
[/quote]

That is definitely off-roading!  You had more water than when I crossed it last year.  If you haven't yet, get a guide book, there are so many cool trails out there.  Some hard, all beautiful. 
Well done David.  Thanks for posting and we love photos ;)
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO