Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Our lil Azusa Canyon get'a'way, Labor Day weekend  (Read 3600 times)

beedee

Our lil Azusa Canyon get'a'way, Labor Day weekend
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:50:15 AM »
A fellow SCXF member threw out the invite to head out to the Azusa Canyon OHV area on Sunday, it was a family affair. They brought their 2.5 year old son, my wife and I brought out 13.5 month old daughter, and another SCXF member brought his six year old daughter, and a buddy of his. We met up at the Shell station off of the 210 & Azusa at 8:00am and rolled on down the road. About 20 minutes later we were at the entrance with only three vehicles ahead of us, nice! The day was gloomy for the first few hours, and it was borderline cold, crazy!!! The sun broke out around noon and  the canyon filled up with those crazy-big mudders! We hung out for most of the day, but did explore some of the hill and then played around in the mud a bit. It was nice to get the X dirty again! We headed out around 1:30pm and boy was it madness when we left. Everywhere you looked, someone was doing donuts in the mud, or mud-bogging through a narrow channel. Once we reached the last/first river crossing we noticed that people were stuck in it, it took about 10 minutes to recover a few vehicles and then the rangers allowed us to exit. Upon exiting we took notice to the INSANE wait to cross the river to enter the park, it basically snaked all the way from the river up to the parking lot area and almost directly to the ranger office! Beyond the ranger office was a line of about 30 vehicles waiting to get in, holiday crowds!

I snapped a few pix, here they are:

Crossing the "gate-keeper" river into the park.

Another water crossing.

Still cruising back with some other vehicles ahead of us.

Almost there!

Our spot for the day.

Everyone hanging out.

This guy was stuck for almost 10 minutes, then realized he forgot to lock his front hubs!  :o

Regrouped after playing the hill in the background and in the mud.

This poor family blew a bead on their way out. We caught wind of it and went to help, but by the time we got there, 5 other vehicles were on scene lending a hand.

Airing back up after a fun day!

Bonus pic, a screenshot of me crossing the river, that sucker was deeper than we thought!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 09:53:40 AM by beedee »

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Our lil Azusa Canyon get'a'way, Labor Day weekend
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 12:36:37 PM »
great pictures!

GreenAcres

• 4wd Pts: 9
    • 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 01:00:24 PM »
Looks great, not so sure about those crowds......

To get through water that deep, I'm wondering to myself whether all anyone does (with regard to preparation) is the rear diff vent mod, or something more elaborate. Just curious.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 02:16:01 PM »

Ah, the infamous "river plate" syndrome! :) We always end up with a few rigs who get that after crossing the Mojave River in Afton Canyon:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/jfanaselle/Mojave%20Road%2004-15/Day%2004%20-%2048.jpg
Our lil Azusa Canyon get'a'way, Labor Day weekend

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 05:30:14 PM »
I love Azusa Canyon when the Mud is good. We like to go on New Year's Day when the masses are hung over.

They are having a Family Fun Weekend October 22 - 23. That tends to be a really fun event.
WE6DGR