Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: 11/21-22 Sandstone Canyon (Anza Borrego)  (Read 40812 times)

FrankB

11/21-22 Sandstone Canyon (Anza Borrego)
« on: October 22, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »
Thought we might get the November run posted up early:

Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon - Anza Borrego Desert State Park

Saturday, November 21st

Meet Time / Spot: 10:00AM at the Anza Borrego Desert State Park Visitor Center
200 Palm Canyon Drive
Borrego Springs, CA 92004

Fish Creek is a little over 12 miles of mostly flat sandy wash, with lots of interesting geology along the way. Sandstone Canyon is another 2+ miles, but very narrow and twisty in places, with high rock walls. We'll come back out the same way, total off-road miles should be about 25.

This trail should be stock friendly, but 4WD is recommended due to sandy spots and so you don

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Re: 11/21-22 Sandstone Canyon (Anza Borrego)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:08:45 PM »
Trixie the Wonderdog (if she makes it to November  :'(), Noon, and their driver Paul.

We'll likely camp Friday and Saturday.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Xterra/Fish%20Creek%2011-2008/GoodMorning.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/paul1960/Xterra/Fish%20Creek%2011-2008/Lunch.jpg
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:27:59 PM by Paul »
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Pigcat

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
I heard that was a pleasant trip for everyone last year until some yahoo ::) came racing up the canyon  ;D
Tom
When in doubt - Gas it out

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 06:24:23 PM »
I heard that was a pleasant trip for everyone last year until some yahoo ::) came racing up the canyon  ;D

You should have stayed around longer, it got really nice after he left.  ;D

Pigcat

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »
LOL!!!  I've been away for a while but it appears that Frank is now the quip'ster in place of Mitch :-\ Can it be so  ???
Tom
When in doubt - Gas it out

AV Xterra

• 4wd Pts: 7
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 07:13:20 PM »
LOL!!!  I've been away for a while but it appears that Frank is now the quip'ster in place of Mitch :-\ Can it be so  ???
Yes he is.  Sharp as a tack.
I eat other peoples food.  It's a sickness.

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2009, 09:17:16 PM »
Yes he is.  Sharp as a tack.

You guys have both been away too long, there is no way I could ever even come close to Mitch, and I mean that with truly the utmost admiration.  Really, who else could come up with such classics as:

"Just so you know, Dan is a totally different person when you're alone with him and John out in the middle of the Nevada desert huddled in the back of your X under a sleeping bag clutching a Surefire and a Sig and wearing an aluminum foil beanie."

Or, in response to my question of what the hell Randy was talking about when he wrote:

Randy (xtatic):  "Really, I've been given one of Sage's new two-handers to test, a 13/6 8wt to test til the end of June. More of a "switch-rod", they call it an "ultralight spey" I've had it for nearly two months and was supposed to use it last w/e outside of Vancouver. I jacked my back up just prior and had to bail on the trip. Maybe I'll try it in the surf. Probably the only chance I'll get. I'm headed away from the E.Sierrs hordes this w/e and will probably hit some spots on the Kern Plateau...maybe Monache Mdws. area..... Guaranteed "Grand Slam". Have fun and take pix."

Me:  "What language are these guys (xtatic and EditorX) speaking? Anyone have an English translation?"

Mitch:  "It's Neo-Fishmalian, a modern version of Olde-Fishmalian which employs an updated vernacular in order to express oneself more accurately. It
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:41:51 PM by FrankB »

SuperSlideStyle

• 4wd Pts: 19994
  • Are we ready? Not really but here we go!
    • 2013 Nissan Xterra PRO-4X
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
I wish I could go but my X is still down.  Have fun everyone, maybe I'll make the Dec. run.
2013 Xterra Pro4X 6 spd
2022 Acura MDX SH-AWD

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 05:45:59 PM »
I wish I could go but my X is still down.  Have fun everyone, maybe I'll make the Dec. run.

Bring your Murano out!
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 04:27:44 PM »
You guys have both been away too long, there is no way I could ever even come close to Mitch, and I mean that with truly the utmost admiration.  Really, who else could come up with such classics as:

"Just so you know, Dan is a totally different person when you're alone with him and John out in the middle of the Nevada desert huddled in the back of your X under a sleeping bag clutching a Surefire and a Sig and wearing an aluminum foil beanie."

Or, in response to my question of what the hell Randy was talking about when he wrote:

Randy (xtatic):  "Really, I've been given one of Sage's new two-handers to test, a 13/6 8wt to test til the end of June. More of a "switch-rod", they call it an "ultralight spey" I've had it for nearly two months and was supposed to use it last w/e outside of Vancouver. I jacked my back up just prior and had to bail on the trip. Maybe I'll try it in the surf. Probably the only chance I'll get. I'm headed away from the E.Sierrs hordes this w/e and will probably hit some spots on the Kern Plateau...maybe Monache Mdws. area..... Guaranteed "Grand Slam". Have fun and take pix."

Me:  "What language are these guys (xtatic and EditorX) speaking? Anyone have an English translation?"

Mitch:  "It's Neo-Fishmalian, a modern version of Olde-Fishmalian which employs an updated vernacular in order to express oneself more accurately. It
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 07:34:30 PM »
I fail to see the humor.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

Xterror

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:42:24 PM »
Hi everyone. Long time since I've posted anything, been busy being a Dad :). There's a small chance I can make this run on Saturday. I'm really going to try, I got my BFG AT almost a year ago and haven't touched any dirt. LoL. If I do make it I will prob bring my 2 labradors if you guys don't mind. They're very friendly and will be leashed at all times.       Edgar 
Formerly Ed_monster

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »
Dogs are cool for club runs.  You just have to be on top of things.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

sturndog

• 4wd Pts: 9
Things every new club member should know about Mitch and Dan
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 04:02:42 PM »
I just wanted to apologize to many of the rumours I started and perpetuated -here are a few of them.

1. That Mitch and Dan carried yellow spray cans to parks and nation monuments for tagging.
2. That Dan intentionally ran over wildlife and than I put several replicas of pigeons and turtles under his tires and took pictures.
3. That Mitch and Dan liked the all male- clothing not an option bathhouse in Nevada.
4. That Mitch and Dan threw sand on my Xterra on the Area 51 trip than yelled ," lets make John's car yellow like ours" will releiving themselves.
5. While watching the Red Flag Excercise, Dan and Mitch pointed lazers at my car trying to "paint it" in hopes that one of the planes overhead would mistake it for a target and bomb my vehicle.

For the record, some of these things were slightly exaggerated.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
Re: Things every new club member should know about Mitch and Dan
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »
I just wanted to apologize to many of the rumours I started and perpetuated -here are a few of them.

1. That Mitch and Dan carried yellow spray cans to parks and nation monuments for tagging.
2. That Dan intentionally ran over wildlife and than I put several replicas of pigeons and turtles under his tires and took pictures.
3. That Mitch and Dan liked the all male- clothing not an option bathhouse in Nevada.
4. That Mitch and Dan threw sand on my Xterra on the Area 51 trip than yelled ," lets make John's car yellow like ours" will releiving themselves.
5. While watching the Red Flag Excercise, Dan and Mitch pointed lazers at my car trying to "paint it" in hopes that one of the planes overhead would mistake it for a target and bomb my vehicle.

For the record, some of these things were slightly exaggerated.

More clarification...

1.  The cans were silver.  The paint inside them was yellow.
2.  then
3.  The bathhouse is in California.
4.  I felt no relief.
5.  Never happened.
I'd rather be happy than right any day.