Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Death Valley - December 19-22  (Read 21921 times)

XterracerX

• 4wd Pts: 17
Re: Death Valley - December 19-22
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2008, 02:34:48 AM »
Undercarriage armor a necessity?

I'm in the process of installing a winch... just in case. Wish me luck on this one. Still has to figure out how to replace the cable with a synthetic line. Hawse fairlead still has to be ordered.

4WP has "up to 20%" off sale going on and just snagged a 54" Smittybilt Jack for just $47 (plus tax) with a rubber isolator that comes with it (free!). Not a Hi-Lift... I know... but I don't intend to use it... hopefully never!

I have the gas cans ready from EE (from our trip to Mojave) but still has to mount the carrier to the Loadwarrior.

Lots of things to do... so little time...

Really hope to make it to DVNP... if not, perhaps when I'm really ready.
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2008, 09:35:14 AM »
Fred you're ready :D bring what you have.   Don't need armor for this one.

Brian

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »
sorry I have 2 other party to go to that day. 

4x4forfun

• 4wd Pts: 6
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 01:28:12 AM »
Can't make it as I am already committed to other things related to Christmas. Just a suggestion, but since so many members can't make this one is it a possibility that another DVNP run be done in the spring before it gets too hot during the daytime? Would anyone be interested to do this outside of the normal monthly run? That would be sweet because it is beautiful out there in the very early spring.
But he said it was stock friendly!!

Snoopy

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2008, 10:57:35 AM »
Heading out tomorrow morning. See you all at 9AM on Friday at Panamint Springs "Resort":

Please give me a call at (805) 889-7334 if you have any questions.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:07:16 AM by Snoopy »

XterracerX

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 01:06:37 AM »
Alas! Another missed opportunity. I wasn't able to prepare enough in time for this momentous trip... really bummed about it.  :(

I apologize for the last minute notice. Please take lots of pictures and please do share your experience. Be safe out there....

Fred

Snoopy

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 10:00:40 AM »
Fred,

Preparation is key... however, all the things you mentioned (winch, gas cans, off-road jack, under-armor) are nice things to have, not necessities. In fact, XTRAIL1, a 2005 SE 4WD with road tires, made the entire trip - no problem.

I only mention this because I don't want you to miss out on future trips... Happy holidays.

Cheers,
Travis

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 07:02:40 PM »
Wow what a fantastic journey this was:  Started  & ended on snowy trails with some hot springs, great canyons, dunes, and other fun stuff along the way.  Thanks for everybody that went :D

Really a special trip in many ways, weather was great, the amount of snow in the hottest place in the western hemisphere was really cool.   Looked much different than any other time I

Snoopy

« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2008, 01:12:25 PM »
Awesome time. It turned out to be one of my all time favorite off-road Xcursons. Pictures are posted: LINKY

XterracerX

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2008, 02:45:30 PM »
Fred,

Preparation is key... however, all the things you mentioned (winch, gas cans, off-road jack, under-armor) are nice things to have, not necessities. In fact, XTRAIL1, a 2005 SE 4WD with road tires, made the entire trip - no problem.

I only mention this because I don't want you to miss out on future trips... Happy holidays.

Cheers,
Travis

Valuable advice... one that I am and will constantly be working on. I even ordered a portable bathroom, shower, folding chair toilet, etc. to go along this trip... even a Porta-John.  :-[  I guess I just want to make sure I have all the necessities before venturing on an epic adventure... just as this one.

Thanks for sharing the pics again Travis! Hopefully by next time, I will be truly prepared on time.

To all... a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »
For people that missed this one may have another opportunity in ~ a month. Me and Emily are planning what to do for her long 4 day weekend.