Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Death Valley - December 19-22  (Read 21907 times)

Snoopy

• 4wd Pts: 2
Death Valley - December 19-22
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:24:26 PM »
http://www.xsnoopy.net/internetfiles/title.jpg
Death Valley - December 19-22

Dates:
December 19-22, 2008

Death Valley National Park, starting at Panamint Springs, California.

Highlights: 
This is going to be an epic tour of a large percentage of the off-road trails located within the north-west portion of Death Valley National Park. The plan is to spend all four days camping and off-roading. We will see The Racetracks, Eureka Dunes, Scotty's Castle, Stovepipe Wells and all that there is to explore in between including beautiful desert scenery and many old ghost towns.

General Plan and Meeting Places: 
Day 1: Friday, Dec. 19th: Panament Springs to Homestead Dry Camp. 66 miles.
Top off our tanks in Penament Springs and leave by 9:00 a.m. driving west to the entrance of Hidden Valley Road to The Grandstand and The Racetrack and ending the day at Homestead Dry Camp

Day 2: Saturday, Dec. 20th: Homestead Dry Camp to Eureka Dunes Dry Camp. 52 miles.
Leave Homestead Dry Camp at 9:00 a.m. taking Saline Valley Road past Warm Spring Camp Ground to Steel Pass Road to Eureka Dunes Dry Camp

Day 3: Sunday, Dec. 21st: Eureka Dry Camp to Mesquite Spring Camground. 87 miles.
Leave Eureka Dunes Dry Camp at 9:00 a.m. Continue north along South Eureka Valley Road to North Eureka Valley Road. We'll head up a 4-wheel drive road through Cucomungo Canyon then north to Hwy 266. We'll be on pavement for 10.7 miles to Lida where we'll head south along Tule Canyon to join Big Pine / Death Valley Road. We will finish up the day at Mesquite Spring Campground. This plan may have to be altered if no gas is available at Scotty's Castle.

Day 4: Monday, Dec 22nd: Mesquite Spring Campground to Stovepipe Wells Village. 106 miles.
Leave Stovepipe Well Village at 9:00 a.m. then stopping by Scotty's Castle to explore a bit. We'll continue northeast up Hwy 267 crossing into Nevada to Bonnie Claire then head south on dirt roads to Beatty. From Beatty we'll go to Titus Canyon Road. We'll be on pavement once again as we end the day in Stovepipe Wells Village.

Gas:
There is gas in Panamint Springs, Beatty, and Stovepipe Wells. The longest distance between fill ups will be about 210 miles. Bring an extra 5 gallons if you are concerned.

Weather:
Expect temperatures to be from 70F during the day to 30F in the evening. Bring some warm clothes and a decent sleeping bag.

Safety:
Bring plenty of water. A 5-gallon container of water is standard emergency backup.

Travel prepared. Things can go wrong quickly in the backcountry. Pre-trip planning could save your life. Bring basic tools, a shovel, extra water and food with you. In the higher elevations, snow and ice conditions may require tire chains. Top off your gas tank before starting a trip. Flat tires are a common problem for backcountry visitors due to rough road conditions or from having unsuitable tires. Make sure your vehicle is equipped with
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 04:11:34 PM by Aperion »

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
Re: Death Valley - December 19-22
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 01:52:01 PM »
Sounds epic! I'd love to make this one ... I gotta' see if I can get the days off

I'm a no go ... my project can't live that long without my attention (according to the boss).  :-\
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:47:36 PM by Paul »
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 07:05:19 PM »
Im in  ;D  with kristina and Michael

They don't get off school until 3pm on 12/18 so we will be staying in ridgecrest that night and meeting up in the morning at the springs 9am

Brian

boats

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
I would like to go on this. I have the stock tires on my X. I think they are fine they have not let me down yet. I know I can get the days off. This sounds like a great run count me in.

Snoopy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 08:48:47 PM »
Great to hear! I'm Looking forward to some time away from the books of post-graduate school.

Toolbox: It will be great to see you and the kids once again.
Boats: Stock tires should be just fine as long as we don't run into any snow/mud.

I'm working on getting a propane powered campfire for the evenings - can't have a camp without some campfire ;)

I'll post a google earth type map a bit later in the week...

Any other concerns / ideas?

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
I picked up a foldable firepit at Target that worked out pretty good on the last run.  By removing the foam and cardboard packing stuff from the case, it packed smaller even with three duraflame logs in it.  Made it an easy and legal way to have a spark arrested fire.  Made for little ash too; I may end up stowing a .50 cal can somewhere to pack out residual ash and what-not.

RE: gas, Scotty's Castle still has no fuel.  If any S/C vehicles requiring premium fuel go, the Chevron at Stovepipe Wells only offers regular gas.  Just carry a 4-pack of octane boost in your spares kit and you're fine.

Updated gas prices and closures can be found at deathvalley.com, which also has a link to the Death Valley Morning Report, which is good to check for daily info. 

To those considering going, please follow Snoopy's safety tips.  Extra gas and water, warm gear and a paper map (the free AAA version's pretty good, actually) are extremely important.  Also, run a ratchet strap between your bumper or roof rack to your tent at night.  The winds can get pretty strong out there at times.

Hope this helps.  Have fun!
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Snoopy

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:23:39 PM »
Thanks for the info Bobby. After looking at the Death Valley Morning Report we will have to be flexible with our plans based on possible road closures. It seems the southern entrance to Saline Valley and Titus Canyon are both currently closed.

Bobby B.

• BOD
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:59:42 PM »
I think some of the people who post on that forum checked out those road conditions and reported on them.  I thought I remember reading about clearing or passing the Saline obstacle.  They also said be wary of and check out any "bypasses" to look for tire-eating booby traps.  apparently some of the greenies have been up to some stuff out there at times, but the main ways were okay.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

boats

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 04:47:17 PM »
Is this run still on? I am fabricating my own rock sliders and hope to have them installed on my x by the 19th. I am pretty much trying to imitate the shrock works sliders but not sure if I will be able to pull that one off they may end up looking like the Calmini sliders either way I hope to have sliders soon  ;D

chad

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 07:11:38 PM »
 >:( cant go
have a great adventure
Hey don't get me wrong or anything, I have been in the outdoors but... is it always this dusty????

Snoopy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »
Is this run still on?

Yes. Run is still on.

boats

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 05:17:17 AM »
Sorry everyone I will not be able to attend this run as my I will be in the field traning with my battalion that weekend.   >:(

Snoopy

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 04:09:50 PM »
boats, Enjoy the training...

Just curious, who do we have lined up for the trip?

XterracerX

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 01:27:02 AM »
Man! Another Overland Expedition... never been to Death Valley and would love to make it. If I can gather all the necessary supplies and gear, I may be able to go.

Just curious... is DVNP where you guys do the highest to lowest run in previous years?
Hope for the best. Prepare for the worst!

xtoolbox

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 12:21:23 PM »
Looking forward to this one ;D

Fred yeah lowest (badwater) for sure highest (bcone forest) isn't that far away but its most likely closed this time of year.

Brian