Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego - Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Jan 27, 2019  (Read 4522 times)

FrankB

Anza Borrego - Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Jan 27, 2019
« on: January 28, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »
Heather and I took a drive out to Fish Creek and Sandstone Canyon in Anza Borrego Desert State Park on Sunday.  Sandstone Canyon starts about 12 miles up Fish Creek Wash from its start at the south end of Split Mountain Road.  The first time we were here, in early January of 2006 right after I got my first Xterra, we were able to drive about 3 miles up the canyon.  This time we drove about 1.4 miles, stopping at a rockfall that would have been okay in the old Xterra with its lift and skids, but I didn't want to risk it traveling alone on that squishy stock suspension, so we parked and walked the rest of the way.

Here are a few images of Fish Creek to start off.

We found several of these things.  I realize some people think they are merely an art form, but we're pretty sure that we saw something of one of the many factual documentaries on History Channel (like Ancient Aliens) that say these are really signs of extraterrestrial visitation.  Needless to say, we didn't take any chances, and we moved on. 

It was a very nice day for a drive in the desert, mid-70s and no wind.

Here's the start of Sandstone Canyon.

Gunslinger2N

• 4wd Pts: 5
  • semel iterumque referebant eos ad contritionem!!!!
    • 2014 Pro-4X
Re: Anza Borrego - Fish Creek & Sandstone Canyon - Jan 27, 2019
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 09:41:29 PM »
Wow,  that looks like a great low pressure run... Great pictures also!
Gunslinger2N / KM6WOC

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »
Here are some more from Sandstone Canyon.

This rockfall was not here the last time I came through.  Just enough room to drive through.  We parked a little past this.

More signs of aliens.

We hiked a fair ways up a small slot canyon that runs off to the side of Sandstone, from a spot we used to camp in.

There were a few big ravens flying around the canyon.  They are fun to watch.  Most of the time we were there it was dead quiet, and you could hear their wings beating before you saw them.

We drove through this turn several times in the past, before the canyon started getting blocked. 

Sandstone Canyon has changed so much in the last 13 years that I've been going there, I think that the days of leading 20+ trucks up there for a run are probably over - at least until nature cleans it out again. 

One last shot, heading back down Fish Creek in the late afternoon sun.

I've always thought that Sandstone Canyon is one of the most spectacular places in Anza Borrego, and if you've not been there you should go.

FrankB

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
Wow,  that looks like a great low pressure run... Great pictures also!

It's a great day trip, and also a nice spot to camp.

The first time I went there my 2005 Xterra was about 3 weeks off the lot, totally stock.  I saw a picture of the canyon, found a trail description in a guidebook, and we headed out for the day.  Here it is coming out of the turn in the picture from the post above, about 3 miles from the start of the canyon.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 05:27:03 PM »
Great pics Frank! I always look forward to what you are going to document and post up with your camera!!
Isaiah 6:8

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »
super rad pictures.

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 09:03:48 PM »
If anyone is interested in seeing a few more pictures from Sunday, here is a link to a gallery:

https://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/So-Cal-Explorations-Day/Anza-Borrego-Fish-Creek-Sandstone-Canyon-Jan-27-2019/

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
Always love your photos Frank. I need to visit Sandstone Canyon one of these days. Maybe I'll head over there during Desert Rendezvous next month.