Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CB Antenna Mounted on Shrockworks Tire Carrier?  (Read 11674 times)

SteeevO

• 4wd Pts: 23
Re: CB Antenna Mounted on Shrockworks Tire Carrier?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 06:11:20 PM »

SteeevO, would it need to be a copper braid just across the hinge or from the mounting stud all the way across the hinge and to the chassis somewhere? That is what I was trying to picture since Firestik does mention something about doing something like that.

Yep just a copper braid to jump across the hinge.

Do not run a spring, they mess up everything. I have a large book on antenna theory, I won't bore you with the details. Just please don't run a spring.

Also, for those of you that aren't afraid of mounting an antenna through the roof, you may consider an NMO Mount and Larsen whip antenna.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 09:01:37 PM »
Any external antenna is better than no one and just like a lot of things bigger is better.

I run two different size antennas ... short for around town and bigger when I'm out in the desert. I keep the big antenna under the rear seat, it just fits between the rear doors.

I'm driving a Jeep Wrangler now and with it's fiberglass rear structure the antenna isn't as blocked as on my Xterra. The Jeep's around town antenna is level with the roof. The one for out in the desert is a good foot taller putting the load coil up above the level of the roof and giving me more range. That said, it's a 5 watt CB radio that transmits in the HF band.

Far far FAR better is to get an amateur radio license and enjoy a nice 50-85 watt 2-meter radio where smaller antennas are better performing than the largest CB radio antennas.

Paul
KG6OAZ
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

FrankB

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 10:12:14 PM »
Any external antenna is better than no one and just like a lot of things bigger is better.

I run two different size antennas ... short for around town and bigger when I'm out in the desert. I keep the big antenna under the rear seat, it just fits between the rear doors.

I'm driving a Jeep Wrangler now and with it's fiberglass rear structure the antenna isn't as blocked as on my Xterra. The Jeep's around town antenna is level with the roof. The one for out in the desert is a good foot taller putting the load coil up above the level of the roof and giving me more range. That said, it's a 5 watt CB radio that transmits in the HF band.

Far far FAR better is to get an amateur radio license and enjoy a nice 50-85 watt 2-meter radio where smaller antennas are better performing than the largest CB radio antennas.

Paul
KG6OAZ

Paul, is that you?  It's been a long time.  Hope you are doing well.  Say hello to Noon for Heather and I too.