Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: CANVAZ VIII 2018 (Official Thread)  (Read 64898 times)

Syberia

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2005 Off Road
Re: CANVAZ VIII 2018 (Official Thread)
« Reply #150 on: September 12, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
Blair Valley is where my wife and I always camp when we go go with her parents. Highly recommended.

Wherever you end up staying, we will probably get there on Thursday morning so we can have an extra day to explore.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

FrankB

« Reply #151 on: September 13, 2018, 10:42:20 AM »
As it's getting closer this is one of the locations we are looking at https://nextcampsite.com/blair-valley-campground-anza-borrego-sp/

I don't know yet if I'll be able to attend . . . but that won't stop me from commenting.

Blair Valley might just be a really good choice, given that it will be noticeably cooler there compared to down in the lower elevations (for example, around the end of Split Mountain Road).  There should be some spots where you can get a lot of vehicles, but you also might want to send someone in advance. 

Another nice thing about Blair Valley is that if someone wants to get out and walk, there are some great hiking trails there.

One thing to consider though is that Blair Valley is inside the boundary of Anza Borrego Desert State Park, and thus has all of the usual State Park restrictions.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #152 on: September 13, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »
One thing to consider though is that Blair Valley is inside the boundary of Anza Borrego Desert State Park, and thus has all of the usual State Park restrictions.

Are there restrictions that would prove to be an issue?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:12:16 PM by JFanaselle »

Syberia

• 2005 Off Road
« Reply #153 on: September 13, 2018, 11:39:54 AM »
Not to my knowledge.  Im not sure what "state park restrictions" he considers to be a problem.

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #154 on: September 13, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
Not to my knowledge.  Im not sure what "state park restrictions" he considers to be a problem.

Most of the additional regulations are aimed at backcountry camping outside of the developed campsites, but here are a few of the published ones. Some of these are common sense (such as picking up your trash), and others are pretty specific to the park and don't apply elsewhere (such as requiring a metal container for fires, or prohibiting firearms).

-The California Vehicle Code applies to all roads in the park - dirt, sandy wash or paved. All vehicles must be highway legal and remain on established roads.

-Vehicles must be parked no more than 1 vehicle length off the road. Do not trample vegetation or drive over geological features.

-Pets must not be left unattended. Dogs and cats must be on the 6 foot leash and under the immediate control of a person during the day and in a tent or vehicle during nighttime hours. They are only allowed on parked roads and within your campsite. Pets are NOT allowed on trails or in wilderness areas. Your pet can only go where vehicles can go.

-Camp at least 100 feet away from all water sources (springs, creeks, streams).

-Ground fires are not permitted. A container with metal sides and bottom must be used for all campfires.

-Bring your own fire wood. Gathering or taking from any live, dead or downed vegetation is prohibited.

-Firearms and fireworks are not permitted anywhere in the park.

-There is no garbage collection in the backcountry so you are responsible for packing out all of your garbage, including toilet paper and human waste. Practice "Leave No Trace."

-All natural and cultural features are protected. Nothing may be removed or disturbed.

-Camping in Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is limited to maximum of 30 days in any calendar year.

FrankB

« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2018, 03:52:22 PM »

Personally, I don't consider it to be a problem.  I really like ABDSP, and spend a lot of time there, especially Blair Valley.  That said, there are a few people in SCCX who do not seem to like things like the pet (on hiking trail) restrictions and the firearm restrictions, to name a couple of things.  It has come up in the past when I've set up an Xcursion to Blair Valley.  I will not specifically point out who doesn't like what in this open forum; and it may not matter depending on who is and is not attending.  I just wanted to point out a reminder, since State Park land is quite different from BLM land.

All that said, Blair Valley could be a good choice.  It's close to the start of the Pinyon Mountain trail, and also the Arroyo Seco del Diablo trail (and the Diablo Drop-Off).  It is, however, a relatively long way on pavement over to say Ocotillo Wells or Calcite Mine.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »
I don't know yet if I'll be able to attend . . . but that won't stop me from commenting.

Blair Valley might just be a really good choice, given that it will be noticeably cooler there compared to down in the lower elevations (for example, around the end of Split Mountain Road).  There should be some spots where you can get a lot of vehicles, but you also might want to send someone in advance. 

Another nice thing about Blair Valley is that if someone wants to get out and walk, there are some great hiking trails there.

Frank, those are exactly we are eyeing this as the #1 suspect for the "Spot" couldn't agree more.
Isaiah 6:8

Hawairish

• 4wd Pts: 0
    • 2004 Pathfinder
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2018, 12:41:33 PM »
Please put me down for Blue/Sat and Green/Sun.  I'm over in the AZXC group, though hope you don't mind a Pathfinder joining.  I may have two others joining as well from the SoCal area.

Celt

« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2018, 02:41:55 PM »
  I'm over in the AZXC group, though hope you don't mind a Pathfinder joining.  I may have two others joining as well from the SoCal area.

No problem at all anyone is welcome!

SCUBA_Dale

• 4wd Pts: 39
    • 2015 Xterra Pro-4x
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2018, 02:47:58 PM »
Since I forgot... Sign me up for Sin Nobre on Saturday and Calcite Mine on Sunday.  Also add my father in law Dennis to both those trails.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

Celt

« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2018, 08:37:44 PM »
Since I forgot... Sign me up for Sin Nobre on Saturday and Calcite Mine on Sunday. 

Sent from my Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk

Penalty points shall be assessed.

Syberia

• 2005 Off Road
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2018, 08:40:40 PM »
All right, I'll be there in my Honda Civic. Black trail, please!
  No problem at all anyone is welcome!

Celt

« Reply #162 on: September 14, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »
All right, I'll be there in my Honda Civic. Black trail, please!

Hey if you wanna go in a Civic thats your business. I'll bring the video camera and the popcorn!

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #163 on: September 14, 2018, 11:28:37 PM »
I linked this post to TNX

Jay and Celt, I hope you're cool with that?

Maybe CHUSA will come!? :D
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

CraigBos

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2014 Xterra Pro-4X
« Reply #164 on: September 16, 2018, 04:16:42 PM »
Sign me up for Saturday Blue, Canyon Sin Nombre / Fish Creek.  Looking forward to it. 

Thanks Jayrat and all!
K6BOS - Craig