Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Big Bear area credit card skimming  (Read 4406 times)

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
Big Bear area credit card skimming
« on: March 22, 2017, 11:48:48 AM »
I know we have a lot of peeps around here that spend plenty of time up the mountain. Just thought I'd share this story from the Press Enterprise this morning. Apparently the Sheriff's Department received a lot of reports from locals about credit card fraud, and discovered at least one "skimming" device at a local business (although they're not saying which business, so as to not tarnish their reputation). These are typically installed at gas stations, ATM machines, or other locations where patrons use their cards without intervention from an employee. Anyway, if you've been up that way lately and used a credit or debit card at any business, it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on your accounts for a while.

The family and I are headed up there this weekend in-fact, and will be staying 1 night in a rented cabin. I guess I'll make it a point to pay inside with my card when I refuel.  :-[

http://www.pe.com/articles/big-827998-sheriff-bear.html

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Re: Big Bear area credit card skimming
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 04:08:13 PM »
I know we have a lot of peeps around here that spend plenty of time up the mountain. Just thought I'd share this story from the Press Enterprise this morning. Apparently the Sheriff's Department received a lot of reports from locals about credit card fraud, and discovered at least one "skimming" device at a local business (although they're not saying which business, so as to not tarnish their reputation). These are typically installed at gas stations, ATM machines, or other locations where patrons use their cards without intervention from an employee. Anyway, if you've been up that way lately and used a credit or debit card at any business, it's probably a good idea to keep an eye on your accounts for a while.

The family and I are headed up there this weekend in-fact, and will be staying 1 night in a rented cabin. I guess I'll make it a point to pay inside with my card when I refuel.  :-[

http://www.pe.com/articles/big-827998-sheriff-bear.html

Or grab some cash from your bank before you head up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:13:14 AM »
Or just pay with your phone/smart watch with samsung, android or apple pay and it's a one time code that's useless to the scammers :D

old people and cash... SMH :D
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 12:09:43 PM »
I prefer to just barter or trade for all my goods and services these days. So much easier than using any electronic or physical form of currency.  8) Anyone have any Xterra parts they're looking to get rid of? I have a couple of beaver pelts I'm looking to part with.

On a serious note - I always bring cash up the mountain with me, because the Teddy Bear Cafe only takes cash and I'll be damned if I'm going to stay the night in Big Bear and not have my pastrami hash and eggs with cornbread cinnamon roll breakfast the next day.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 12:12:21 PM by JFanaselle »

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 11:46:42 PM »
Wait, how is this the first time I'm hearing about this breakfast?

Details...  where is the teddy bear cafe?
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 06:43:49 AM »
pastrami hash and eggs with cornbread -------------- That's a language I can sure speak!
Isaiah 6:8

JFanaselle

• BOD
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 11:18:18 AM »
You guys have been missing out! The Teddy Bear Restaurant is right in Big Bear Village, on the corner of Pine Knot Ave and Pedder Road, about 2 blocks south of Big Bear Blvd. http://teddybearrestaurant.com/

Like I said, they only take cash, so be prepared. The pastrami hash and eggs is kind of their signature breakfast, and it's SOOOOO good. I always get the cornbread cinnamon roll instead of regular toast... it's another thing they're famous for. This was from Sunday morning. You can't really see the hashbrown potatoes under the eggs, but they're there.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 11:20:55 AM by JFanaselle »

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
Man I could put the beat down on them vittles.....
Isaiah 6:8

beedee

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 05:11:02 PM »
Tasty times! Last time up there we ate at the Lumberjack Cafe, it was also pretty good!

GreenAcres

• 4wd Pts: 9
    • 2007 XTerra Off Road
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 05:20:50 PM »
You guys have been missing out! The Teddy Bear Restaurant is right in Big Bear Village, on the corner of Pine Knot Ave and Pedder Road, about 2 blocks south of Big Bear Blvd. http://teddybearrestaurant.com/

Like I said, they only take cash, so be prepared. The pastrami hash and eggs is kind of their signature breakfast, and it's SOOOOO good. I always get the cornbread cinnamon roll instead of regular toast... it's another thing they're famous for. This was from Sunday morning. You can't really see the hashbrown potatoes under the eggs, but they're there.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Looks like you murdered that plate!

ManduhO

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2014 X
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 06:58:46 PM »
Big Bear checking in. I actually got on here to warn you all of this so I'm glad to see it's been done. I'll just say it: it's Circle K in Bear City -- at the East end of dead man's curve. They've had it happen there before and that's the place again. I heard from another local that she had gotten a brand new debit card, had only used it at Circle K and was hit a couple hours later with a huge fraudulent charge.

beedee

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 08:28:37 PM »
Thanks ManduhO, I'm planning on heading up on the 23rd. I'll avoid that Circle K.

ManduhO

• 2014 X
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
Please do! I've lived in big bear 3 years, but have visited it my entire life. The Circle K is fine with cash, but do not swipe any card there. Be cautious everywhere obviously, but always check boards to see if there is an issue with cards. Cash is always ANYWHERE the ideal these days

Jvh22a

• 4wd Pts: 2
    • 2005 xterra se
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 08:56:22 PM »
Big Bear checking in. I actually got on here to warn you all of this so I'm glad to see it's been done. I'll just say it: it's Circle K in Bear City -- at the East end of dead man's curve. They've had it happen there before and that's the place again. I heard from another local that she had gotten a brand new debit card, had only used it at Circle K and was hit a couple hours later with a huge fraudulent charge.

How does it work? Is it the employees or the machines? Ive been there everytime we go to big bear.  Have never tried  teddy bear so that will be on my list for the next trip in a few weeks.

ManduhO

• 2014 X
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2017, 01:52:34 AM »
Previously they figured an employee (totally plausible because some are a bit sketch), but now it seems that either an employee is cool with "checking the pumps for skimmers" or its someone remote-ish. I guess they can put a skimmer within 50-100 yards and pull your info without even on the property and when traffic slows down, they can go snatch the machine (even though they already have received all the info they gathered remotely). I don't know this 100% on that, but I work for the county so I hear some stuff floating around. But having someone say they only used her brand new card, very shortly actively activated and the only purchase she'd spent since activating it was circle K... Pretty hard to ignore