Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Gas can/ Jerry can  (Read 5359 times)

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
Gas can/ Jerry can
« on: October 01, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
What's going on you guys? Wanted to see what gas/jerry can you guys using as I'm preparing for Winter Mojave. I was looking at this one since it comes with a carry case and I can just get it welded to the back of my swing tire and price is cheap.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/311466472246

Can I get some opinions.

EJsarus

• 4wd Pts: 52
    • 5th gen T4R
Re: Gas can/ Jerry can
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2016, 11:49:48 AM »
not sure on this but I have heard that to carry a gas/jerry can here in Cali, it must be cali compliant. but not sure if this is true or not.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2016, 12:42:50 PM »
     CARB (California Air Resource Board) has been adopted nationally. All jerry cans...nation wide, are now required to be California compliant.

This particular can is not CARB compliant...but it's also not a fuel jerry can....regardless of what the author wrote.
     Fuel cans need to be red.

Legally...... Carrying Fuel in a non fuel can that's not CARB is a bit of a double whammy.
..............only if you get caught.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 01:08:25 PM by Toro »

valentin36

• 4wd Pts: 7
    • 2012 Nissan Xterra S
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2016, 03:33:08 PM »
Any recommendations. Only other thing I see is rotopax but it's an eye for each one for only carrying 2gallons.

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »
You can always go legit CARB can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2016, 07:06:55 PM »
The way I understand the law and the application of it is as Toro said they need to be red and have "Gasoline" stenciled somewhere in a conspicuous place on the can if it's not CARB compliant. The whole language of the law is pretty confusing in my opinion. From the way I understand it, it's not technically illegal to have fuel in a non-CARB container or transport it in a non-CARB container. Where it gets sticky is when you are transferring that fuel from the Jerry can into the vehicle without a CARB spout or filling them at a station is "technically" a no no. That being said, I know what I use and have never had issues but then again you need to keep a watch about when and where you are transferring fuel. Maybe they have gotten better but the CARB spouts I have used in the past break quickly and become useless or you end up spilling fuel everywhere. Rotopax in my opinion are far over priced and don't carry enough fuel. I know a lot of guys love them and that's great if it works for them. I have a gas guzzler and really like all the extra fuel I can get my hands on especially on trips like the Mojave. They do make good CARB cans out there like Toro said but I'm not sure what they cost these days and hopefully the spouts have been greatly improved upon.

All that being said, I also found this:  http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200473764_200473764?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Shopping.com&utm_campaign=Fuel%20Transfer%20%2B%20Lubrication%20%3E%20Fuel%20Cans&utm_content=19708
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 07:14:06 PM by Celt »
Isaiah 6:8

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
Gas can/ Jerry can
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 03:35:32 PM »
Love my Rotopax.

Two 3 gallons and one 4 gallon. Replaced the spouts with non CARB ones...now I can pour a 3 gallon can in about a minute.

Rotopax self vent

Easy to pack and tie down even without the proprietary Rotopax mounts as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 05:39:31 PM by Ghost65 »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Kjswa

• 4wd Pts: 10
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road manual
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 07:07:10 AM »
That setup on eBay looks like a solid deal. I decided to go with cans instead of RotopaX because of the price. Did the Mojave road last week and a buddy had a set of the 4 gal RotopaX and they are much easier to handle than cans. I went with a similar style to what your looking at from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAINYHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have been very happy with them, only issue beinging first time I used them this summer they leaked so I left the spout attached overnight. Haven't had a leak sense.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 07:11:18 AM by Kjswa »

Celt

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 07:42:56 AM »
That setup on eBay looks like a solid deal. I decided to go with cans instead of RotopaX because of the price. Did the Mojave road last week and a buddy had a set of the 4 gal RotopaX and they are much easier to handle than cans. I went with a similar style to what your looking at from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAINYHK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have been very happy with them, only issue beinging first time I used them this summer they leaked so I left the spout attached overnight. Haven't had a leak sense.

Did you put that can inside an external fuel rack or lashed down to your vehicle? Just wondering how closely they would fit in the various types of racks? Are the seams welded or are they pinched or rolled?

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 08:25:32 AM »
The can you are looking at on Ebay is pretty cheap Chinese junk.  I bought one and the seam sticks out exposed and the rubber gasket did not even touch in the lid all the way around in the pour spout area so I sent it back for a refund.  The can that arrived had a small dent in it and did not match the image either.  I ended up buying higher quality Wavian Jerry cans from Atlantic British a company that specializes in Range Rover parts.  A friend had them so I knew the quality.   I caught them on sale for $40 each, which happens often.  I keep them lashed down inside the X and have never had any issue with smell or leaks.

Celt

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 09:06:36 AM »
Thanks, I have heard of Atlantic British before and heard they were made of good quality materials.

Kjswa

• 4wd Pts: 10
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road manual
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 11:44:36 AM »
Did you put that can inside an external fuel rack or lashed down to your vehicle? Just wondering how closely they would fit in the various types of racks? Are the seams welded or are they pinched or rolled?

They ride ratcheted on the rear bumper swing arm. Not sure of the seam I believe it's pinched will check next time I'm home. Have been a perfect performer so far really like them.