Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Carrying Extra Gas  (Read 18315 times)

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
Carrying Extra Gas
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:27:23 AM »
I am kind of surprised how little I can find on the subject but I am curious about all the options for carrying 5 or 10 gallons of extra gas.  I am sticking with stock rear bumper and of course want to avoid anything inside so that only leaves the roof.  I know the Rotopax options as I would want something more low profile the standing up Jerry Cans or taller plastic can.  I would probably want to siphon to the tank rather then unstrap, etc.  At one of the meet ups someone mentioned an option that was pretty low profile and they were selling it as an oil can but I did not get enough info to find it.  I wondered if anyone knows someone using the flatter marine/boat tanks.  Perfect seals are important as I would think a gas shower is not good.

Also, I only have the stock roof rack, and if I put something on the roof, what do people use to protect the roof from scratches, etc.  I need to nail this down for everything like firewood and storage bins as well.

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
Re: Carrying Extra Gas
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:24:44 PM »
I store 2 3-gallon Rotopax on my Hep's Designs roof basket.  I know you said you just have the stock roof rack with no basket, but a basket will help a lot and you won't have to worry about protecting the roof.  If you don't want a basket, you can lay a tarp or towels down underneath whatever you put on the roof.  You can also get the Raingler roof net, but I heard it sags a little under load.  I can't speak for siphoning because I just remove my cans when I need to re-fuel.  Also, I'm not 100% sure how you secure a can to the stock bars.  I'm sure you could strap it, and I'm sure there's something out there that can attach to the roof rails themselves but I've never researched it.

My setup:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Raingler Net:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 12:39:51 PM by RikRong »
R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:13:31 PM »
X2 or is it 3.....
   If you want low profile with the OE setup, the RotoPax systems is top tier.
   The reason there isn't much info out there is simply because there aren't many options. This goes for all vehicles and not just the Xterra. With out an OE outboard spare tire (and carrier) to work with, it's tough to make something work.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 01:21:44 PM »
BRR (before roof rack) I used a 4 gallon Rotopax on the roof, cinched down with bungees and a beach towel underneath. Simple, but effective.

With a siphon system, my concern would be leaks etc., but you're on the right track with roof stored fuel in a Rotopax.

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 10:31:09 PM »
X however many for rotopax.  I carry 2, 4 gallon rotopax on the roof.  Rotopax does have a gas nozzle with a short(5ft) hose for filling vehicles, I bought one a few years back but have yet to actually try it out.  You would need to unscrew the cap to attach the hose so the rotopax would have to be upright, meaning it would need to be unstrapped, so kinda defeats the purpose.

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:34:23 AM »
I will at times put two of the fuel cans side by side along the rear crossbar on the rack. I have a couple pieces of 6" fire hose I lay down between the cans and the roof then ratchet strap them side by side without any difficulties. That setup has held up during a lot of wheeling without issues and super easy to siphon if necessary. They are the shorter but wider 5 gallon fuel tanks so they have a lower profile and are wider which helps to stabilize them. I also have but not installed yet a Dep Hep rack with an aftermarket custom dual top fuel rack for those cans which will hold them very securely.
Isaiah 6:8

• 4wd Pts: 44
  • Education through Pain
    • 04 SAS XTERRA
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 07:21:06 PM »
I carry two 5 gallon metal gas cans in my rear storage (inside vehicle). Mounted and strapped down. Kept inside months at a time until swapped out for fresh fuel. Have never smelled gas or had any negative effects.
It's better to sweat in peace than bleed in war. Death touches all men.

richard310

• 4wd Pts: 10
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 05:40:19 PM »
If the rotopax doesn't work for you for some odd reasoning, I used a Front Runner Dual Jerry Can mounted to a simple bracket utilizing the mounting holes of the roof basket tie down points. Yes, it makes the rig taller, but for long trips I need the extra two cans + the two cans on the rear bumper.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee94/synikalsoysauce/_DSC0264e_zpsdwoks6eq.jpg
Carrying Extra Gas

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee94/synikalsoysauce/_DSC0254e_zpsgeootrit.jpg
Carrying Extra Gas

Like was mentioned before, your best bet would be to Rotopax it to your roof using a basket mounted to your roof bars.
- Richard

2004 Xterra XE 4x4
Build Thread

JeffBett

• 4wd Pts: 26
    • 06 Xterra
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »
It's not that Rotopax would not work,  I just really wanted to know what other choices there was,  especially if there were ways that were not so damn expensive.  To carry 10 gal.  In Rotopax means I need a second mortgage.

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
That's one of the reasons I have not gone with Rotopax over the years. They are nice but seem to be very expensive and haul less fuel. I know a lot of guys really like them but I'm still very happy with my steel Jerry cans.
Isaiah 6:8

Alex

• 4wd Pts: 25
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 04:54:11 PM »
A 2nd for the inside the truck carry method if without a roof rack or bumper spot for it. Some (speaking on the general mind) wouldn't advise it because of possible leaking fuel and whatnot, but if you check the seals on the can and make sure they're airtight, and if you let any excess spilled fuel dry out before placing them inside, they'll be fine for a weekend trip for sure.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 05:00:01 PM by Alex »

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 08:36:56 PM »
Rotopax are good if you need to mount them funny - in a funny position, a funny location, etc. Otherwise, your best bet is a good 'ol 5 gallon Jerry Can. I was running two of the same 5 gallon cans as Celt (the shorter, fatter style jerry cans) and loved them. They work well with a factory roof rack.

With my aftermarket rack, I have two 2 gallon Rotopax cans mounted to the front where the basket drops down. Nice thing about them is that they lay flat and don't stick up above the side rails of the rack. The bad thing about them is that they cost a fortune, they only hold 4 gallons, and they don't stand up on their own to be filled. Drives me nuts! On longer trips (Mojave Road, Death Valley, etc), I still have to bring one of my 5 gallon cans.

Those 5 gallon cans are sold at ORW. They call them "used oil cans," because they don't have the stupid EPA nozzles required to be gas cans. That makes them even better. :) I think I paid about $80 for the two of them together. Worth every penny.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 08:16:57 AM »
funny thing is new good quality NATO jerry cans are around the same price as rotopax 4 gallon, yes they carry 20L or 5.2Gals but I was wondering where everyone was getting the good quality cans from for cheap.
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

RBduffer

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 135
    • '07 OR Xterra
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 01:58:54 PM »
A 2nd for the inside the truck carry method if without a roof rack or bumper spot for it. Some (speaking on the general mind) wouldn't advise it because of possible leaking fuel and whatnot, but if you check the seals on the can and make sure they're airtight, and if you let any excess spilled fuel dry out before placing them inside, they'll be fine for a weekend trip for sure.

In my case at the winter Mohave trail run, I kept two CARB approved 2 1/2 gal. cans inside the back area.  Between the heat and altitude radically changing the ambient preassures, I leaked about 2 tablespoons of gas inside my X.  This was enough to disolve the seems of my poorly placed air mattress and stink up my sleeping quarters,to the point that I had to self intoxicate with rum just to get asleep. 
On a good note the simi deflated mattress made a GREAT toboggan for going down our camp road O0

PS  I'm ordering the steel for my new roof rack right now.
Of all the things I've lost...
I miss my mind the most

KJ6YPO

RikRong

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 70
    • 2015 Pro4X Xterra
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 02:33:43 PM »
funny thing is new good quality NATO jerry cans are around the same price as rotopax 4 gallon, yes they carry 20L or 5.2Gals but I was wondering where everyone was getting the good quality cans from for cheap.
ChrisHaynes has a good link for cheap cans over on TNX, I'll have to take a look.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

R. Long
2015 Metallic Blue P4X-->Clicky