Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: railfan  (Read 3520 times)

fiercextreme

• 4wd Pts: -10
    • 2015 xTERRA OVERLANDER MODEL!
railfan
« on: December 18, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »
I've been slowly getting into trains for the last 42 years and was wondering if anyone here is a true railfan. Moving to La Puente has given me the opportunity to see these monsters almost daily! A quick review of my previous experience w trains and I realized I used to drop off containers and pick them up from the Los Angeles rail yard driving for Schneider national about 10 years ago. I want to say it was BNSF trains! Here is Union Pacific and Metrolink! Just wanted to share a pic from a Metrolink train today at the railroad crossing.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
WARNING: P&P crossing a-head

FrankB

Re: railfan
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 10:41:39 PM »
I probably don't meet the definition of a true "railfan" but I've always liked riding and watching trains.

Leaning out the window, somewhere in central Sicily, June 1980.

The old steam engine of the Rigibahn, Rigi, Switzerland, May 1990.

The rack railway from Lauterbrunnen to Murren, Switzerland, May 1990.

Waiting for a train, Innsbruck, Austria, May 1990.

One of my favorite train rides ever, the Mt. Washington Cog Railway.  October 2008.  It's a good thing it only moves at 3mph because when we got on it about an hour after this was taken it started snowing heavily towards the top and they had to sweep off the snow in front of the train as we moved up the hill.

By the time we got to the top it was almost a white-out.  Look closely and you'll see the train in the background behind me.  The boiler sits at an odd angle here because it is tilted in such a way as to be level for most of the ride, which is very steep.

Closer to home, along Cima Road in the Mojave Preserve, not too far from the Kelso Depot, February 2010.

BNSF at Goff's Road in the Mojave Preserve, February 2010.

If you've not yet been to the Pacific Southwest Rail Museum in Campo (east of San Diego) you should make the trip down this way sometime.

Riding the Museum's train along the old San Diego & Arizona Line just as it comes north from the Mexican border heading back towards Campo.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 04:45:21 PM by FrankB »

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 12:09:01 AM »
Frank those are really cool photos! I'm not a train guy but where I live I can hear the trains at night hitting their air horns along the coast. If it's a mellow night I can hear them going along the tracks which I always think is pretty cool. That last Mojave Rd run when we stopped under the trestle bridge and the train passed overhead was nothing short of awesome. That bridge was built in the 20's and still going strong today. Testament to the American worker and tenacity.
Isaiah 6:8

fiercextreme

• 4wd Pts: -10
    • 2015 xTERRA OVERLANDER MODEL!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 01:16:48 AM »
Yes really cool pics and informative! I look forward to spotting a train in the desert if we were to get so lucky!
WARNING: P&P crossing a-head

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 07:20:13 AM »
Frank...I love your photos.

Rail fan?  Not really, but a lot of really cool train history in the desert for sure.

I know Joe had spoken about checking out the Eagle Mountain rail line and mining operation during our last Bradshaw Trail trip.

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae195/DzrtX/Bradshaw%20Trail%202015/xterraatrailcrossing.jpg
railfan

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Here are a few more from San Diego, at the downtown Santa Fe Station one evening a few years ago.

The old stations built by Santa Fe were pretty nice.

This next one is a private coach waiting to hitch a ride with the northbound Amtrak.  We were chased off to the public sidewalk by the Amtrak guard right after taking this.

Here is the San Diego Light Rail Station just next to the Santa Fe Station.  Anyone who remembers the movie Demolition Man will recognize this spot.

FrankB

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 04:44:39 PM »
I almost forgo about Dos Cabezas in Anza Borrego Desert State Park, just south of S-2.  This is easy to get to.

Dos Cabezas was the last water stop on the San Diego & Arizona Railway line before getting to the Goat Canyon Trestle.

CAWoody

• 4wd Pts: 72
    • 2018 Toyota Tacoma (Really miss the X)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
I a mild rail fan.  I enjoy the steam locomotives from the 1920's to mid fifties.  Frank, those are some fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing.
Be careful when you follow the masses..... sometimes the "M" is silent.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
railfan
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 01:37:02 PM »
A little more Dos Cabezas...back when the Ghost was young...

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae195/DzrtX/The%20GhostX/XtraininOcotilloCalifornia.jpg
railfan

Sent from Cygnus X-1
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.