Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Costco: Batteries (and other questions!)  (Read 18677 times)

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
Costco: Batteries (and other questions!)
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:43:43 AM »
The company I work for gave me a very generous Costco Cash card for an end of the year thank you.

Instead of blowing it on booze and steaks, I was thinking of buying a battery from Costco.  Heck, maybe even two for a dual battery set up. 

I guess the first question should be, are they worth buying?  I know Costco has a great warranty/return policy.  That could be good for batteries!

Next, would it make sense to do a dual battery set up for no other reason than that I have "free" money to spend on batteries?  Santa and his elves also brought me a few hundred dollars to Amazon, so between those two stores I should be able to get a set up rolling, right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! 

Also, paging Jordan and Toro.  Where should I send the burritos and beer for your help?   
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:22:50 AM »
No clue on the quality of Costco brand batteries but going dual just cause you have excess cash seems overkill IMO, you don't have an abundance of electrics on your truck so its kind of a waste.  If you want backup for emergency use, I would get one of these. Antigravity Batteries Micro-Start Jump Starter/Personal Power Supply XP-1 XP-1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FDYYK4A/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_OBWNub06DKVK4
Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
Looks like Costco brand batteries are no more, they sell interstate now.
Jordan - K6XTE

steve c

• 2012 Pro4Steve
Re: Costco: Batteries (and other questions!)
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »
You're probably right Jordan... Like always.

Well, I do need to replace my battery so maybe I'll just buy one an guinea pig it for everyone.

Steve - KK6OFL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
Steve- I have bought my last few batteries at Wal Mart with success. Costco batteries (Kirkland) should be fine...Interstate are better.

Unless you are frequently winching or utilizing another high amp draw item (fridge), I echo Jordan's sentiments.

Prolly money better spent on steaks and booze. (You have my # btw, so expecting a call soon) ;)

For a nice dual battery set up, meander over to ChrisHaynesUSA's build thread either here or over at thenewx. It is a sweet set up with real world winch and fridge usage.

Sent from Planet Claire
 using Tapatalk
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

steve c

• 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 06:23:19 PM »
You're on the DO call list John; don't worry.

I can't find much about batteries on Costco's site.  I'll just have to go down there and ask.

Santa also brought me a Costco membership.  I'm spoiled.  :D
Steve - KK6OFL

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »
Another great dual battery write up.  GeoExplorer this time.  Much more in depth on the install and theory.

GeoExplorer's Dual Battery Set Up
KD6DCI

steve c

• 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »
Thanks John.  Jordan, do you know how to do this?   ???

Otherwise, I'll just get a replacement and move on for now :D 
Steve - KK6OFL

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2014, 01:58:07 PM »
Yea the Kodiak kit is the best way IMO since in includes the new tray for the batteries, but your stuck using the batteries they built the tray for, they are awesome batteries but still way overkill unless you got ChrisHaynesUSA money.  If you want more capacity/power without as much complication, look at group 31m marine batteries, they are the biggest battery you will fit in the stock location, I have one with 100ah of capacity, more than the odessey batteries used in the Kodiak kit combined.  http://m.sears.com/diehard-platinum-marine-battery-group-size-31m-price/p-02850131000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=02850131000&kispla=02850131000P  all that you need to do is wire a small extension to the positive lead
Jordan - K6XTE

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »
Steve - I actually just purchased a battery from Costco about 3 weeks ago. It's the best deal out there in the market. I got the 24F and it was a perfect fit. If I recal correctly, Costo had their own name for the size. As everyone has already mentioned, it's branded as Interstate now. However, even the old Kirkland batteries were made by Johnson Controls, who also makes Interstate. I would venture to bet it's the exact same battery, just rebranded. The employee at Costco even told the that the Kirkland batteries they used to sell were delivered by an Interstate truck. Anyway, it also has a 48 month FULL replacement warranty, not pro-rated. It was about $84 plus tax, came to just over $90 out the door.

As for the dual battery setup - the only advantage to running two standard batteries would be if you draw heavy amperage at times like Ghost said (winching, etc). I have a dual setup right now, but my second battery is a small deep cycle battery that is made for discharging and recharning without damaging. This allows me to run all of my lights, inverter, etc while the Xterra is off and still have a fully charged starting battery when I need it. I didn't even bother with the Kodiak kit, I just pieced it together myself. The second battery is the smallest Optima Yellow Top made, and it's actually mounted under the front seat. I ran a 4 gauge wire up to the first battery and installed a 200 amp isolator between, which I wired to the ignition. Basically, everytime the ignition is on, the batteries are connected together in parallel (and therefore both charge off of the alternator) and everytime the ignition is off, they are seperated. All of the lighting and accessories are then connected to a fuse box that runs off of the second battery only. It's a REALLY simple setup as far as dual batteries are concerned. It was super cheap and works perfectly for what I wanted. :)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 08:35:12 AM »
Steve - I actually just purchased a battery from Costco about 3 weeks ago. It's the best deal out there in the market. I got the 24F and it was a perfect fit. If I recal correctly, Costo had their own name for the size. As everyone has already mentioned, it's branded as Interstate now. However, even the old Kirkland batteries were made by Johnson Controls, who also makes Interstate. I would venture to bet it's the exact same battery, just rebranded. The employee at Costco even told the that the Kirkland batteries they used to sell were delivered by an Interstate truck. Anyway, it also has a 48 month FULL replacement warranty, not pro-rated. It was about $84 plus tax, came to just over $90 out the door.

As for the dual battery setup - the only advantage to running two standard batteries would be if you draw heavy amperage at times like Ghost said (winching, etc). I have a dual setup right now, but my second battery is a small deep cycle battery that is made for discharging and recharning without damaging. This allows me to run all of my lights, inverter, etc while the Xterra is off and still have a fully charged starting battery when I need it. I didn't even bother with the Kodiak kit, I just pieced it together myself. The second battery is the smallest Optima Yellow Top made, and it's actually mounted under the front seat. I ran a 4 gauge wire up to the first battery and installed a 200 amp isolator between, which I wired to the ignition. Basically, everytime the ignition is on, the batteries are connected together in parallel (and therefore both charge off of the alternator) and everytime the ignition is off, they are seperated. All of the lighting and accessories are then connected to a fuse box that runs off of the second battery only. It's a REALLY simple setup as far as dual batteries are concerned. It was super cheap and works perfectly for what I wanted. :)

Great post Joe.  Thanks for the info...any pics of the battery isolator?
KD6DCI

steve c

• 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 09:01:46 AM »
Yeah, seriously great post.

I don't really have any aux electronics at the moment besides the HAM radio. 

Just out of curiosity I wonder if Costco sells a deep cycle battery similar to the optima you used?

Yeah, pics would be great.  Make sure to remove your front seat so we get the full idea of what's going on :D :D :D
Steve - KK6OFL

steve c

• 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
And thanks Jordan.  I forgot to reply to your post!
Steve - KK6OFL

JFanaselle

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 12000
    • 2010 Xterra S 4x4
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
Sorry guys, I've been away from the computer for a couple of days. I'll get some pics up later today.