Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Attached Photo Album  (Read 8307 times)

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: 12
Attached Photo Album
« on: February 02, 2009, 05:10:51 PM »
If I added a photo album to the site for people to upload to, would it get used?

One feature that might make this interesting is the ability to print from a site like shutterfly.com, and have commission from the prints either go to the club or the photographer. I don't know if the commission part is possible, but I know you can order prints off the gallery.

If this feature was available would the club be interested in it?

FrankB

Re: Attached Photo Album
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
Personally I have always preferred the idea of posting pictures directly in a thread. It is a lot easier to see them, you can have narrative and tell a story as the thread progresses from one picture to the next. 

Also, for runs, I always like the idea of having everyone's pics from a given run in one thread. You can see everyone's view of what happened that way, and it is all in one place. When I first found the club it was threads like that (picture threads from runs) that helped me determine that this might be a group of people I wanted to hang out with (and helped me know in advance who I should avoid  ;D).

Maybe it would be different with this software, but on the old site I found it cumbersome to look at pics in the gallery. I don't know if you are thinking of the same thing, or something different.  I did not care for how the old site gallery worked.

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 06:14:29 PM »
I, too, like the idea of having our pics stored locally, but agree with Frank about the old gallery.

I rarely used it since it seemed redundant.  We had both the pics area plus the pics forum.  Perhaps there's a way to avoid that?
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Aperion

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:17:11 PM »
Personally I have always preferred the idea of posting pictures directly in a thread. It is a lot easier to see them, you can have narrative and tell a story as the thread progresses from one picture to the next. 

Also, for runs, I always like the idea of having everyone's pics from a given run in one thread. You can see everyone's view of what happened that way, and it is all in one place. When I first found the club it was threads like that (picture threads from runs) that helped me determine that this might be a group of people I wanted to hang out with (and helped me know in advance who I should avoid  ;D).

Maybe it would be different with this software, but on the old site I found it cumbersome to look at pics in the gallery. I don't know if you are thinking of the same thing, or something different.  I did not care for how the old site gallery worked.

totally different software, the stuff I am used to running is called gallery2, it's pretty easy to navigate through IMO, and I would agree the old forum was extremely cumbersome.

Have a look, I'm running it for our personal photo gallery: http://chrisnem.com/gallery2/main.php

I, too, like the idea of having our pics stored locally, but agree with Frank about the old gallery.

I rarely used it since it seemed redundant.  We had both the pics area plus the pics forum.  Perhaps there's a way to avoid that?
One way, if possible, to avoid the redundancy is to integrate the gallery software with the forum, so you would upload images to the gallery, then use the gallery to post the images to a post. Not sure what type of integration is out there but I'll  have a look.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 12:17:21 AM by Aperion »

FrankB

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 10:51:16 PM »
If we can host on the site and have the pics in a thread that would be good. Don't we kind of have that now, though? One thing I noticed is that pics uploaded to the site don't show up very large on the screen, you have to go through and click each one to get them to open up. I downsize mine to only 725 wide, so they're not really all that big, just wide enough to show up on most screens without having to scroll.

One other thing I noticed when I tried to upload pics to the site in a post (and the reason I've gone back to using Photobucket) is that, at least on my Apple, it always seems to crash on me.  And, anytime I've tried to edit one of my posts with uploaded pics it's been a disaster.