Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Road Trip Pictures - Central California - May 2013  (Read 6853 times)

FrankB

Road Trip Pictures - Central California - May 2013
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:23:56 PM »
Heather and I just finished up a little 9-day drive in the Xterra around Central California. We covered 1,445 miles from San Diego, with overnights in Visalia, Angels Camp, South Lake Tahoe and Bishop. We stayed on the pavement, but still managed to see quite a bit. Here are a few pictures.

Since most here like to see the trucks, or other gear, we'll start with this.

Our first stop, after a very long drive due to 3 major incidents on the road, was Kings Canyon National Park. They have some really big trees there.

The little road up to the Panoramic Lookout has some pretty tight turns. Here's a shot over the dashboard on the way back down.

From Kings Canyon we drove north up to Angels Camp, and hung out in the Gold Country for 3 nights. The foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains are particularly nice this time of year.

In the town of Jamestown there is a great railway museum. This old oil-fired steam locomotive still runs, they take it out quite often. It's also been used in the filming of several movies, include Back to the Future III.

From the Gold Country we drove over Ebbetts Pass (CA-4) towards Lake Tahoe. Along the way we stopped for a hike at Calaveras Big Trees State Park. More really big trees.

The middle stretch of CA-4 is known as the Ebbetts Pass National Scenic Byway. I can see why. This is a great stretch of road. It's a bit too narrow to have a center stripe.

FrankB

Re: Road Trip Pictures - Central California - May 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:45:07 PM »
The higher elevation meadows on the road to South Lake Tahoe are nice in the late afternoon.

We had a pretty nice sunset on our first night at Lake Tahoe. By the way, I can highly recommend the Alder Inn on Ski Run Blvd. if you're looking for a nice place to stay that doesn't have all the chaos of the Stateline area.

We rode the gondola at Heavenly up to their observation deck, and then all the way to the lodge at the very top. Nice views from the observation deck.

We drove out CA-89 to check out Emerald Bay. It was Memorial Day weekend so the narrow road was crowded with people who didn't seem to know how to drive on narrow roads. But, the views were worth it.

Lake Tahoe has very little public access shoreline. I think this was actually a private campground beach.

This is near the US Forest Service's Tallac Historic Site, which has some great beaches, and some old houses from the late 1800's that have been restored.

The views from the road down to the Carson Valley, on the way to US 395, are pretty good.

Some nice views driving south on US 395 too.

Heading south towards Mono Lake.

FrankB

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 10:00:43 PM »
We spent our last night on the road in Bishop. On the way there we stopped to check out some of the lakes, and went up to Mammoth Mountain.

The weather in the morning as we left Bishop was a little better for pictures. We made a few stops along the way, including the Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery and Mananzar.

If you want to see more from the trip, here is a link to a few galleries with lots of pictures.

http://frankbaiamonte.smugmug.com/Travel/California-Mountain-Road-Trip

SoCalXTerry

• 4wd Pts: 54
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 04:57:15 AM »
Great pictures Frank.  Thanks for sharing
Terry

Greasy side down - K6XTL

HEVAK

• 4wd Pts: 32
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:49:25 AM »
Wow! Any one of these pictures could be a postcard. Very nice
I love it when a plan comes together

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:25:59 AM »
Great Pictures Frank.  Always love the pictures you take. You should submit some shots to Nissan for Owner Picture shout out on their page.

Xtracrispy

• 4wd Pts: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
Great pictures as always!

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:51 AM »
I like the pine cones on the beach...very nice Frank.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Soylent Yellow

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 5254
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 07:44:25 AM »
Great pictures Frank! 
I'd rather be happy than right any day.

xxSVxx

• 4wd Pts: 10093
  • Something inspiring, witty and funny goes here
    • 2010 BAMF version
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
As always, professional quality photos....great work Frank!

GreenGoon

• 4wd Pts: 38
    • SAS'd 2000 X
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 01:10:11 PM »
Absolutely beautiful. Looks like it was a great trip.
WE6DGR