Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Anza Borrego Desert - Flowers (& Trail Report)  (Read 5150 times)

FrankB

Anza Borrego Desert - Flowers (& Trail Report)
« on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
This is generally the time of year when you find lots of wildflowers out in Anza Borrego, but this year they've been somewhat scarce.  What little season there was is probably just about over.  There are some great cactus flowers though, and right now the whole valley along CA-78 between Borrego Springs Road and Buttes Pass has a pale reddish glow when you look out across it - all of the ocotillo are in bloom. It was fairly windy, which helped keep the heat down, but didn't help with flower pictures.

We drove up Mine Wash all the way to the end, and found some great cactus flowers.  There is also the site of an old Native American village, but all that is left now are the mortero holes in the rocks.  I had never been on this particular trail before, but had read about it in various places.  Mine Wash is smooth 2wd-friendly all the way to the end, and then you can continue walking up the canyon a ways.  The trail climbs gradually all the way from the road, it's not really noticeable but when you get to the top you can see you are quite a bit higher than where you started.  Anyone looking for an easy 2wd trail should consider this one. 

We found a tree with lots of shade in Hawk Canyon that made for a nice lunch spot, then decided it was too hot and bright at those lower elevations (along with a lot of dust and haze in the air) so we headed over the hills to the higher elevations of Blair Valley.  It was about 10 degrees cooler, and the air was much clearer. 

chrishaynesusa

• thenewx
  • 4wd Pts: -35
Re: Anza Borrego Desert - Flowers (& Trail Report)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 09:21:33 PM »
Nice pics Frank,
thanks for sharing.

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 12:21:15 AM »
WOW. 

I want to go to there.

Thanks for the write up.  The only wild flowers I've ever seen have been along mountain bike routes.  I can only imagine the sights when pedaling is not involved.

Thanks. 
Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:00:37 AM »
Ahhhh....all is right in the world.  The first Frank B. photo posting from Anza Borrego for 2013!!  8) 8)

Great pictures Frank, as always!

Did you make it out to see the Tank???  ;)
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

scottmen

• 4wd Pts: 12
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:07:30 AM »
Nice job Frank!

FrankB

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:39:05 AM »
. . . . Did you make it out to see the Tank???  ;)

No we didn't.  This was the first time I've been out there since mid-December.  Seems odd to me missing almost an entire season, but things just haven't worked out this year.  Most Saturdays the farthest I've gotten from home is the Zoo.  April doesn't look much better unfortunately, and after that it will probably be too hot, except maybe for a night trip.  I'm thinking of doing some night time photos of the steel sculptures in Borrego Springs and maybe the old water tower at Dos Cabezas, using a flashlight to paint them with light.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 10:15:33 PM »
I plan to go out there this Saturday if anyone is interested.