Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Would like a HAM Radio crash course...  (Read 34709 times)

xtatik

• 4wd Pts: 1
Re: Would like a HAM Radio crash course...
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2010, 02:03:25 PM »
Just passed the Tech exam yesterday over in Escondido. Now to study up for the General (figured might as well get some more frequency privelages...can't hurt right?)  Now to figure out what radio to get....or wait until after the general test to get the HF radio.
If you truly plan on obtaining the General license, I would go ahead and get a multi-band/multi-mode like the Yaesu FT-857d or Icom 706mkIIg, 7000, etc. (706 is soon to be disco'd) or comparable radio with the HF bands. Antenna's can be as simple as a HamStick ($30.00) until you can afford to step up to a screwdriver type antenna. The HamSticks are single band and require you to physically change antennas between bands (takes seconds), but you really won't be doing it that often. For the most part two Hamsticks would suffice for remote travel....a 20m and 40m is all you'd need and the unused antenna stows away easily. 20m for the daylight hours, and 40m at night as propagation changes. With a separate antenna mount for a small cheap FM antenna (2m and 70cm) you'd have communication capabilities far beyond what even the best of FM radio and antenna combos can accomplish. With a small duplexer ($50.00) at the radio, the radio will sense what modulation method you're using (FM or HF) and send the signal to the appropriate antenna.  With this setup you'd use your cheesy FM antenna for communication between trucks or other targets (repeaters if available) up to a range of approx 40 miles. With the 20m or 40m Hamstick you'll have a range of approx. 6000 miles.
I wouldn't use the HamSticks on bands below 40m as they become very inefficient. The 20m sticks actually work very well, and I used them until I picked up a screwdriver type. With the 20m stick I was able to make contacts anywhere in the States, Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Europe, Japan....you get the idea. The 40m stick works less well, but you'd still be able to make contacts anywhere stateside.
As for the possible theft issue Paul mentions, I don't think you take any more risk in mounting either an FM or HF rig in your truck. The nuklheds that would break into your truck wouldn't know the difference. And, most are built just the same as FM rigs with detachable faces and remote mounting capabilities. Essentially, there'd be no increased risk with an HF rig.
Another note, many in the offroad community struggle with the idea of getting this involved with radio and it really depends where you plan on traveling. If you're only going to the local offroad parks like Big Bear or Anza Borrego..you'd do fine with just an FM rig, as repeaters and cell sites are plentiful. But if you plan on going to more remote locations such as Baja, Death Valley or many areas in Nevada or Arizona (GC, north rim) the repeaters can be nonexistent to few and far between. With FM and without repeaters, you're only going to hit targets within or just beyond what you see from the drivers seat. With HF and an approximate knowledge of where you're at (got GPS?)....even a guy in Ohio can save your butt with just a simple phone call made on your behalf....and most hams would jump at the chance to help.
Again, if your are serious about advancing, in the long run you'll spend less money this way. You can use the radio immediately upon getting your Tech license and have plenty of growing room when you advance to General.

Edit: Heck, I just foraged through the garage. I've got both a 20m and 40m hamstick in the garage that I'll donate to the first clubmember to upgrade to General and buy an HF rig. You'd have to pick them up in Costa Mesa or whatever can be amicably arranged. If you're interested in the incentive, PM me here for details and to provide your callsign.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 03:26:33 PM by xtatik »
K6ARW

Ruination Fan

• 4wd Pts: 12
    • 2004 Nissan Xterra
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2010, 03:12:29 PM »
Thanks for the input Xtatik. The hamstick idea sounds great, until or even if i decide to use a screwdriver style. Just need to come across the cash for the HF radio. I like the style of the 857d but the 706 seems to have  bigger display. Just got to finish up reading and studyin the General AARL book and go take the test. Thanks again!

xtatik

« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2010, 03:22:46 PM »
Thanks for the input Xtatik. The hamstick idea sounds great, until or even if i decide to use a screwdriver style. Just need to come across the cash for the HF radio. I like the style of the 857d but the 706 seems to have  bigger display. Just got to finish up reading and studyin the General AARL book and go take the test. Thanks again!
IMO, it's worth waiting/saving and getting a radio that will allow you to grow into it, rather than re-selling / upgrading and losing value on an outgrown or under-utilized rig. Also, don't be a Magpie for Icoms displays...keep in mind it's a mobile rig and the display isn't there to be stared at....keep your eyes on the road/trail! Once you're stationary, you'll find the 857d provides all that is needed in a display, and can be altered to your liking. I use a remote mic with mine and rarely touch the radio.... It controls everything.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 07:24:57 PM by xtatik »
K6ARW

Bobby B.

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 17
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 06:00:12 PM »
you'd use your cheesy FM antenna

Who you callin' cheesy, breezy?
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

xtatik

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »
Who you callin' cheesy, breezy?
Hey Bobby,
Point is....it doesn't take much antenna to talk twixt trucks or hit a repeater within say 30-40 miles...that is if the repeater has any elevation to its placement. With HF none of that matters...you can rule the world!   bwwwahahahaaaaaaa!.
Seriously, after that last DV trip and realising that a place that heavily traveled could be so badly repeater challenged........I said phooey and upgraded. It took a while to study up for General...maybe 6 hours or so in total, but was well worth it. I shocked myself a couple of months ago by sitting in for the Extra with less than an hour to study and passed it by the skin on my teeth. I wasn't planning to take it for another two weeks and was coerced. This time the peer pressure worked for the better. Last time, I think I woke up with a hooker! ???

j/k!! ;D
K6ARW

Bobby B.

• BOD
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2010, 07:21:45 PM »
Extra, huh?  Now I know you were mocking my low brow, low buck set-up.   ;D

Last time I saw you, you had just gotten the new 857 going.
I like sammiches.  And bacon.  Sammiches with bacon.  And chips.  Lots of chips.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2010, 08:31:56 AM »
Those are great radios!

That is what I hear Paul, supposed to be very reliable. 

Surprisingly (well, maybe not) Kenwood stopped manufacturing them. 

I heard it was because the company felt it could make more money selling separate radios for the desired frequencies rather than a dual/tri-band all in one. 

Do you think this is true?  ???
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Paul

• BOD
  • 4wd Pts: 30
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2010, 10:57:15 AM »
220 MHz isn't a very popular band.

It just so happens that my club at work runs a 223MHz repeater at March Air Reserve Base. My RACES group has a handful of these radios in their mobile command center - but they never used the 220 MHz band until I invited them onto our repeater.
Sept 24, 2006 ... Off Work = Off Road
2005 350Z 35th Anniversary
2006 Xterra Off Road
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

onewaysoldier

• 4wd Pts: 3
    • 2001 XE - SAS'd
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2010, 12:00:06 AM »
...There's a new radio made by Yaseu that's coming out that when it's available I'm going to swap it into my X, take the radio from the X into the base station and have a spare FT-2800.

Hey Paul, if you decide you like to sell your spare FT-2800 please let me know.  My brother (has an 88' Zuk) is now in need of a basic mobile HAM radio. :-)  He, myself, & both our spotters are going to be taking the test within the next couple weeks.

Thanks,
   Matt
I'm trying to figure out something witty.

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2010, 05:05:53 PM »
220 MHz isn't a very popular band.

It just so happens that my club at work runs a 223MHz repeater at March Air Reserve Base. My RACES group has a handful of these radios in their mobile command center - but they never used the 220 MHz band until I invited them onto our repeater.

I didn't realize that.  I have heard that there is a great repeater network on 220mhz that links and lets you talk virtually throughout the southwest.  Can't remember what it was called, but thought for that reason it would be worth checking out.
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

Bobby B.

• BOD
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 10:22:27 PM »
In case this helps, you can also get podcast study guides for free covering all three tests.  You can get them on Itunes, just do a search for "ham radio," I pulled down the ones marked Ham Radio Podcast.  These same ones can be listened to online at http://www.hamradioclass.com/download.html.

They sound a little dry, but it's another way to get the info.

Paul

• BOD
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:05 AM »
I didn't realize that.  I have heard that there is a great repeater network on 220mhz that links and lets you talk virtually throughout the southwest.  Can't remember what it was called, but thought for that reason it would be worth checking out.

Condor Net
2006 Xterra Off Road

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
Antenna mount installed, and wiring plumbed through and fished up to and under passenger seat.  Radio install next.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
KD6DCI

Paul

• BOD
  • Summer, Paul, and Noon
    • 2006 Xterra Off Road
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 04:44:39 PM »
Looking good!  :o
2006 Xterra Off Road

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2010, 03:29:40 PM »
Install complete.  Mounted "brain" underneath drivers side seat, plumbed wiring through engine compartment, and ran wires underneath carpet and door jamb valance, through grommet in fire wall.  Then mounted radio "face" to coin area with an $11.99 cell phone mount "modified" with a hack saw and held down with red heavy duty double sided tape.  Transmit and receive checks out, so ready to go for the first week in February.   ;D

Seat removed and wire fishing in progress

Under seat view, with bracket mounted.

Kenwood TH72A face plate mounted

and finally, a side view.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 03:31:37 PM by GhostX »
KD6DCI