Welcome Guest!!

Welcome to SCCX, for full access to the forums, please register and join our community, it's free.

Author Topic: Winter Camping Tips and Tricks  (Read 12275 times)

chrishaynesusa

• thenewx
  • 4wd Pts: -35
Re: Winter Camping Tips and Tricks
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2015, 08:28:52 PM »
Mountain Hardwear Lamina Z Torch Sleeping Bag
Toasty :)
good to 5 degrees F

Toro

• 4wd Pts: 126
  • yep, Dos XX and Chipotle
Re:
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 10:37:13 PM »
I've discovered that a good sleeping bag needs to reflect heat back to you. Your body heat needs to reach the bag.
    I sleep warmer in shorts and a thin t shirt then when fully layered.
    I sleep in an REI Radiant bag.
It's supper wide in the shoulders and packs down into a 16l compression sack. (Football)

http://bit.ly/1cLdpPR

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
Re:
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 07:22:27 AM »
I've discovered that a good sleeping bag needs to reflect heat back to you. Your body heat needs to reach the bag.
    I sleep warmer in shorts and a thin t shirt then when fully layered.
    I sleep in an REI Radiant bag.
It's supper wide in the shoulders and packs down into a 16l compression sack. (Football)

http://bit.ly/1cLdpPR

That is true.  All true.

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
  • 4wd Pts: -476
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
I have the REI Lumen +10 rating...and I'm not discussing my sleeping attire.  >:D
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

ultrapc40

• 4wd Pts: 47
  • Name is Phil
    • 2002 Nissan Frontier
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 01:11:11 PM »
I just picked up a 12volt heated fleece blanket to preheat the sleeping area when I camp.

knightrider

• Administrator
  • 4wd Pts: 227
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 04:32:39 PM »
I need to get another electric blanket, mine stopped working on the first night in death valley and Jill was freezing.

Sent from my rooftop tent while stargazing

Jordan - K6XTE
2012 Knight Armor Xterra Pro-4X - Sold :(
2016 GunMetal Frontier Pro-4X with AT Summit

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 05:00:43 PM »
I need to get another electric blanket, mine stopped working on the first night in death valley and Jill was freezing.

Just tell her to go outside and do some jumping jacks, that will get her warmed up.
Isaiah 6:8

steve c

• 4wd Pts: -1577
    • 2012 Pro4Steve
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »
I really like these things

Image is clicky.

Steve - KK6OFL

ERMAHGERD CLICK ME  <--- (Build Thread Linky)

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
Re:
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 07:57:34 PM »
Yea Jills problem is she doesnt seem to put out any body heat so anything short of hand warmers/electric blanket doesn't work haha

Jordan - K6XTE

Celt

• 4wd Pts: -20000
  • What this World Needs Is A Few More Rednecks.
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2015, 08:35:31 PM »
Yea Jills problem is she doesnt seem to put out any body heat so anything short of hand warmers/electric blanket doesn't work haha

I never understand them Wimmens, if there isn't a cool breeze blowing I get hot. The only reason I can see for having a heater in a vehicle is,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, I can't think of a valid reason let me get back with you.
Isaiah 6:8

FrankB

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
I keep these in the truck (along with a lot of other stuff) - they've come in handy a few times.

Motorpig77

• 4wd Pts: 31
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 02:30:05 AM »
Biggest thing to survive in a cold weather environment, LAYERS!!!

Bring a few layers that you can take off and put back on as needed.  Don't bundle up so much that you break a sweat...As we used to say in the Infantry...stay "comfortably cool" and you'll be just fine!

Drink lots of water...this is often overlooked but proper hydration allows your blood to flow through your body properly and that is the key to heat distribution.  Coffee and tea and cocoa (and Fireball!!!) are great, but hydrate with H20 as well!

A good pair of gloves, a good beanie, and a scarf / neckwarmer / SHEMAUG!!!! are great! You lose up to 40% of your body heat through your head and it is important to keep that heat in and not let it escape...especially for the "follically challenged" like myself!

Another survival tip, and this goes for wet weather as well as cold weather, Cotton kills! Cotton clothes, which most of us where all the time, soak up sweat and water and moisture and don't allow for the "wicking" of water away from the body...when your clothes are wet, your body is wet, and that leads to poor heat distribution.  Wool is a great cold weather fabric for clothes.  Invest in a few nice pairs of wool socks and to keep the Toesies nice and toasty! There are many options for clothing, so do some research and get something you like.  Getting your denim jeans wet in january and then having to be outside in the below freezing temps is a recipe for disaster!

If anyone has any other questions or would like to discuss experiences, please feel free to hit me up.  I am by no means saying my methods are the best, and each person has their own tricks that I'm sure work perfectly for them.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in January where we can all shiver and get mild hypothermia together! :)

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 08:30:40 AM »
Biggest thing to survive in a cold weather environment, LAYERS!!!

Bring a few layers that you can take off and put back on as needed.  Don't bundle up so much that you break a sweat...As we used to say in the Infantry...stay "comfortably cool" and you'll be just fine!

Drink lots of water...this is often overlooked but proper hydration allows your blood to flow through your body properly and that is the key to heat distribution.  Coffee and tea and cocoa (and Fireball!!!) are great, but hydrate with H20 as well!

A good pair of gloves, a good beanie, and a scarf / neckwarmer / SHEMAUG!!!! are great! You lose up to 40% of your body heat through your head and it is important to keep that heat in and not let it escape...especially for the "follically challenged" like myself!

Another survival tip, and this goes for wet weather as well as cold weather, Cotton kills! Cotton clothes, which most of us where all the time, soak up sweat and water and moisture and don't allow for the "wicking" of water away from the body...when your clothes are wet, your body is wet, and that leads to poor heat distribution.  Wool is a great cold weather fabric for clothes.  Invest in a few nice pairs of wool socks and to keep the Toesies nice and toasty! There are many options for clothing, so do some research and get something you like.  Getting your denim jeans wet in january and then having to be outside in the below freezing temps is a recipe for disaster!

If anyone has any other questions or would like to discuss experiences, please feel free to hit me up.  I am by no means saying my methods are the best, and each person has their own tricks that I'm sure work perfectly for them.

Looking forward to seeing everyone in January where we can all shiver and get mild hypothermia together! :)

Excellent post! (cept' the SCARF!!  :D)

One thing I learned camping in the cold Death Valley enviro...having a nice set of winter moc's to slip on for those late night evacs was a Godsend...no laces to fumble with cold fingers, just pull on and go.  Literally... :D :D

One other camping tip...keep those tents and RTT's and outdoor sleeping bags secured and zipped at all times.

Steve C can attest to the fact of a Black Widow gaining entry to our casa at DV through the broken zipper...she was just outside when Daphne spotted her and she made a beeline (see what I did there?) for the open tent door, and just before I placed boot to arachnid was heading for our sleeping bags.  No bueno!

This was while camping at Eureka Dunes, where it is mostly sand and a few scrub creosote, and I was amazed that the one Black Widow there picked our tent to visit!!
KD6DCI

Once again, I must state for the record: We are not a club, we are enablers for your addiction.

knightrider

• Administrator
    • 2016 Pro4x
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 09:55:39 AM »
ah now i get why the tent went in for repairs, the spider was daphne's last straw with the zipper debacle :)
Jordan - K6XTE

Ghost65

• Old-Schooler
    • 2019 Ready Mix Taco
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 11:01:37 AM »
ah now i get why the tent went in for repairs, the spider was daphne's last straw with the zipper debacle :)

I was pretty motivated too...that kind of spider bite would tend to make me drive faster, facilitating more repairs on the Tacoma, thus reducing our discretionary trip funds, thus seeing you less. 

Which is unacceptable.  ;D
KD6DCI